66856members
352800posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure if I'm just worrying or if it's something sinister...

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Not sure if I'm just worrying or if it's something sinister...

Hi amac

Thanks for posting.

It sounds as if you have had a number of troublesome symptoms in the last four years mainly related to the arm swelling and pain that has not improved, so it’s natural to be concerned.  More recently you have been experiencing breast pain and had treatment prescribed by a dermatologist for nipple eczema which is only partly resolved.

Breast pain is very common in women of all ages. There are different types of breast pain, and these are explained in our information. Breast pain can be treated; however, it is important to find out what the cause is. It can be useful to keep a pain chart to see if there is any pattern to your pain. You will find a pain chart in our breast pain booklet.

If as your doctor suggested the arm pain is due to a trapped nerve, this may also be a factor in your breast pain.  Nerve pain will sometimes resolve with pain relief and physiotherapy but some people may need to be referred by the GP to a pain clinic for management of ongoing pain.

It’s difficult to say if all your symptoms are connected but its possible to have a number of different problems happening at the same time.   Although you are beginning to wonder if you are a hypochondriac its important not to ignore new symptoms or symptoms such as pain that is getting worse.

Having ongoing pain including breast pain can cause a lot of anxiety.  I wonder if there is a particular doctor at your GP practice that you could talk to about all of this this and the way it is affecting you.   Your GP may consider referring you to a pain clinic or to a physiotherapist to further assess your pain.  If necessary, your GP may consider referring you to a breast clinic to have your breast symptoms checked.

You don’t mention whether you have a follow up appointment with the dermatologist. As you are still having symptoms it might be worth asking for a follow up appointment  or your GP can refer you back

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions as sometimes we can help people more by speaking to them. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Eve

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Re: Not sure if I'm just worrying or if it's something sinister...

Hi amac- welcome to the forum and a big hug. Please don’t feel like you are a hypochondriac, you know your body better than anyone and if something doesn’t feel normal it’s important to check it out, even in these Covid times. That said, don’t automatically think it’s something sinister, and most of all try to stay away from googling symptoms as you will scare yourself. It could be caused by any number of things. 

You might want to call the nurses on here to chat this through further, they are lovely and have great advice and experience.

My very best wishes to you, Evie xx

Highlighted

Not sure if I'm just worrying or if it's something sinister...

Hi, so I'm 24 years old and have been experiencing some symptoms and wanted any advice if available. I'm just going to tell you everything as I'm not sure if it's all related or not so apologies.

About 4 years ago I went to the docs as my upper left arm had become slightly swollen and really tender to touch, I was told it was nothing to worry about but since then things have worsened. 

About 2 years ago I went to the doctors with tiredness and hair thinning which I was giving iron tablets that didn't really help and my tiredness and hair thinning continued, my hair used to be much thicker and is very thin now. I also mentioned then that I had bad eczema on my nipples (worst on my left one) which sometimes seeped. I do suffer from mild eczema already on my face and body and I was referred to the dermatologist which I finally got an appointment in January 2020.  

Last year I went back to the doctors for my left arm as the swelling was still there but now it sometimes went numb and my arm actually hurts, sometimes spreading to my elbow, neck and shoulder and affected my left breast too, but I was told it was probably just a trapped nerve.

I had my dermatology appointment in January this year which helped one nipple but not my left one for some reason, this nipple is constantly itchy, a bit red and feels like it has now gone less sensitive? I'm not sure how to explain it but doesn't feel the same as the other one.

I went to the doctors about 6 weeks ago as I was really concerned as I noticed my left armpit was a little bit swollen (very slightly but still enough to feel a difference and because I have suffered with constant breast pain for about 4 months now, along with the arm pain/swelling and numbness and still constant eczema on my nipples. 

I literally still have all this symptoms now but being told everything is fine and I just feel within my body something isn't and I don't know what to do, may be I'm a hypochondriac 😞