Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain in armpit

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: Pain in armpit

Hi @HRob27 

Thank you for your posting.

It isn’t clear from your post what type of  implant you had removed, but it sounds like it may be a contraceptive implant.

It’s understandable to worry when you have ongoing breast symptoms, especially if you are feeling dismissed by your GP.

Breast pain is very common in women of all ages and it can cause a lot of anxiety. Pain can also occur in the armpit (as in your case), down the arm and to the shoulder blades as well. The pain can vary from mild to severe and can make the area feel tender and sore to touch.

You say in your post that the pain in your armpit happens before a lump appears. This may be due to your menstrual cycle (periods) and is known as cyclical breast pain. Lasting pain that’s not related to periods is known as non-cyclical breast pain.

Having pain in your breasts or armpit can cause a lot of anxiety. But on its own,  usually a sign of breast cancer

Even though your GP has reassured you that the pain you are experiencing is normal, it can be upsetting if there is no exact cause for the pain. Pain relief, changes to your diet and relaxation techniques may help you manage your symptoms.  Our information on breast pain may be helpful to read.

It is important to continue to be breast aware and to contact your GP if the pain gets worse, or if you notice any other changes in your breasts.  It can be useful to keep a diary of your symptoms, so that you can discuss this with your GP.

You mention that the receptionist has said you can’t have an appointment with your current symptoms, it may be helpful to ask to speak to the practice manager about your concerns.  You could also ask to see another GP in your practice, if there is one.

You may be interested to read our booklet Know your breasts: a guide to breast awareness and screening.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Victoria

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

HRob27

Pain in armpit

I had the inplant a year ago, and found a lump in my breast. It was about the size of a marble and was hard to touch and didn't move. I booked a GP appointment and had a phone call with them them 2 weeks later (they didn't seem worried as I was 25). They asked me to wait a couple months to see if it goes (it didn't). After speaking with them again with a delayed phone call, they referred me to hospital. The hospital did a ultrasound and said they believe it's hormone related but to report any lump I find. I got my implant out to hopefully sort out my hormones but another lump appeared. The GP said to wait a couple months to see if it goes away. It did. Another one appeared, a doctor told me to take evening primrose oil. Lump disappeared. Since the beginning I have had pain under my armpit (the pain feels like a bruise) every time just before the lumps appear and now I've stopped feeling for lumps but the pain still continues. I've not seen pain as being one of the symptoms of BC. I tried to book a GP appointment about this pain and the receptionist said I can't have an appointment unless there's a lump. Is there anywhere to get your breasts checked at a young age? I feel so dismissed by the GP and I'm happy to pay whatever to just have peace of mind