cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second biopsy

1 REPLY 1

Re: Second biopsy

Dear Indigo

Thanks for posting on the Ask our Nurses section on the Forum. You may also find the following thread useful.

Having  further investigations after being given a result of calcifications,  can be a stressful and worrying time.

Breast calcifications are small spots of calcium salts. They can occur anywhere in the breast tissue. They are very small, so you won’t be able to feel them, and they don’t cause any pain.

It’s really normal to feel panicked and not to be able to take in everything the doctor is saying during your appointment. You may find it helpful to take a family member or friend to any further appointments you have. They may also think of questions that hadn’t occurred to you and remember things you may forget.

Calcifications often turn out to be a benign condition in the breast.

You might find it helpful to talk to one of our volunteers from our Someone Like Me service who has had a similar experience. The volunteers are able to talk to you by email or telephone.

If you are anxious about your results or would like to talk to someone about your concerns do call our free, confidential Helpline. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes

Marretje

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Second biopsy

Hi all, I’m new to the site 👋

I had a mammogram a few weeks ago just because of my age. I’m 47 and in our area they’d picked a percentage of under 50’s to be tested. 

Following that I was called to an out of town hospital for another mammogram. I was told at that appointment that I’d have the mammogram concentrating on a certain area. If that didn’t answer the questions an ultrasound, an physical exam and worse case scenario a needle biopsy. I had all of them. I was told they were removing calcifications.

I went for the results of that on Thursday. And told the results were “abnormal” and that an area 13mm needs further investigation and that I’ll be called in for a vacuum biopsy in 7-10 days. 

I was in such a panicked state that I couldn’t really understand what the doctor was saying and left as soon as I could. I remember her saying IF it is cancer we’ll talk about it then. 

Obviously now the panic has really set in. 

Anyone had a similar experience? What could it be other than cancer? If it’s a 13mm area/ lump why can’t I feel it? (I only have little ones! ) 

Thanks everyone