Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swollen wound

1 REPLY 1

Re: Swollen wound

Hi DannyS

Thanks for posting.

It sounds like you are experiencing some after effects of surgery.  

After surgery some people develop swelling, this may be a normal part of the healing process or a collection of fluid called a seroma in the area where tissue has been removed. It is possible this has happened to you. This can occur under the arm and/or in the breast or chest wall and is usually reabsorbed by the body over time. If the seroma causes discomfort, your breast care nurse or treatment team may decide to draw off (aspirate) the fluid using a syringe and needle.

You describe your armpit as being swollen, red and tender, these could be possible symptoms of a wound infection. This can happen any time after your surgery. The rash you describe may be linked to your other symptoms or may be a reaction to a dressing if you have one covering your wound.  You should contact your breast care nurse, treatment team or GP straight away so that they can assess your symptoms.  You may need a course of antibiotics to stop the infection and discomfort.

We offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in.  You may also find it helpful to call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Swollen wound

Hi...I had lumpectomy a week ago. The wounds on my breasts are ok, but the one under my armpit is swollen and slightly red. Tender and painful....plus I developed a itching rash on my upper chest...is it a sign of infection...should I worry  ?