Thickening in my one breast. Sister had IBC

I have some thickening in my left breast with not anymore symptoms as far as I know. Can you have thickening without cancer? What else could cause it? My sister passed away with IBC. I am 75 years old. Thanks!

Hello 

Thank you for your post.

It’s understandable you want to know what might be causing the breast thickening you have noticed, especially when your sister died from breast cancer. Breast changes, including thickening can happen for many reasons and may be due to benign conditions (not cancer).

As you have noticed some thickening in your breast, we would always suggest that you make an appointment with your GP to have it checked out. They can assess you and may refer you to be seen at the breast clinic.

It may help to know that having a family history of breast does not automatically mean you are at a greater risk of developing breast cancer in the future The biggest risk factors for developing breast cancer are being a woman and increasing age. There are only a small number of people who will be at a greater risk of developing breast cancer because they have a significant family history. However, do let your GP know about your family history when you tell them about the breast thickening.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form . Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

We will be closed on Monday 29 August due to the bank holiday.

Best wishes

Teresa

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.