Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Waiting

Hi lornacat,

Thanks for your post.

Waiting for an appointment to be seen at the breast clinic can cause a lot of anxiety so it’s understandable that you’re feeling worried.

Although there have been a number of changes to the way some breast clinics are running because of COVID19, clinics are still assessing women with breast changes.  This may include gathering information and history over the phone first, before attending for relevant investigations. However, depending on your situation and the information provided by your GP, it’s possible they may assess your referral as being less urgent than others which may mean you wait a little longer to be seen.

As Cabransa says it sounds as though it would be useful for you to check with your GP and/or breast clinic to ensure the referral has been sent and received and that there isn’t anything else you are required to do to book an appointment. The clinic should also be able to give you an idea when to expect an appointment.

As you’re feeling anxious and have been looking for information online, I’d also encourage you to call our Helpline to talk this through and ask any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Re: Waiting

Hi

I totally understand your concern, as first referrals usually have appointments within two weeks.

Are you certain your GP didn’t give you forms to ring up and “choose and book” your own appointment? If he/she didn’t and an appointment wasn’t booked for you online during your consultation , I would contact the breast unit and find out what’s going on - just in case an appointment had been sent out to you in the post and you’ve not received it. They will help you.

Hoping all goes well for you,

Carol.

Highlighted

Waiting

Hi I went to my gp 3 weeks ago and was referred to the breast clinic. I still haven’t heard anything and I’m stressing out. How long does this normally take?  Although things aren’t squire normal now, I thought I would have heard something. 
I have a hard lump at the top of my breast and right above it an indentation where the skin and fat seems to cave in. I know I shouldn’t google symptoms but now I have I’m really worried. 
thanks x