What to expect a Breast clinic appointment?

Hi all, as you can probably tell this is my 1st time to experience this. I’m 37 and my right breast is a lot larger than my left and have a pink/purple mark on it. My left breast I notice a swelling at the side only when lifting my arm then a small dent near my nipple. 

I saw my GP on Thursday where she examined them and referred me to the breast clinic which is on Tuesday! 

In the whirlwind of things, I forgot to ask what will happen at the appointment, I want to be prepared so I don’t have a meltdown when I’m there. I’m not a fan of hospitals as I always in and out of them throughout childhood with heart issue and ears. The thought of a cannula breaks me out in sweats! The last time I was in hospital (couple of months ago) it took them 7 attempts to get one in so bruised afterwards  

Sorry for the long post, only my hubby knows and don’t want to worry the kids unnecessarily if everything turns out OK, if that makes sense.

Thanks for letting me vent

Sal x

Mrsk06, sorry you find yourself here but glad you’ve reached out to Breast Cancer Now. It will depend how your unit works but usually you will be examined , have a mammo and possibly ultrasound if you can ring the number on here before your appointment and speak to a nurse others will pop on this thread too I am sure to help please do remember till a professional tells you, you have breast cancer, you do not have breast cancer. Very proud of you for being vigilant and getting yourself checked over and not leaving it you are amazing :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :sparkles: :sparkles: Shi xx

Hi Sal 

Thanks for your post. We often hear from people who in the whirlwind of things forget to ask questions and decide only to share information about their appointment with a close friend or family member.  

As Shi has said, you are likely to have a breast examination and some tests. You can read about this, and more about what to expect in our booklet Your breast clinic appointment. You would not usually need to have a cannula at a first breast clinic appointment.  

It might also be helpful to know that breast changes can happen for many reasons. They may be due to hormonal changes as part of your monthly cycle (period) or due to benign conditions (not cancer). You’ll probably find your breasts change quite a bit throughout your life. 

You can find out more in our booklet Know your breasts: a guide to breast awareness and screening.  

You are also welcome to call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001). 

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form . Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.    

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

We will be closed on Monday 29 August due to the bank holiday. 

Best wishes  

Val   

Breast Care Nurse   

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy    

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.