Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried - looking for a bit of advice before doctors appointment

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Worried - looking for a bit of advice before doctors appointment

Hi Vicks87

Thanks for posting.

we understand that you spoke to one of our nurses yesterday and as discussed, we are sending a written response as well.

It’s understandable to worry when you notice new changes in your breast.

Breast changes can happen for many reasons. They may be due to hormonal changes as part of your monthly cycle (period) or due to benign conditions (not cancer).

Breast pain is very common in women of all ages. There are different types of breast pain, and these are explained in our information.

Breast pain can be treated; however, it is important to find out what the cause is. It can be useful to keep a pain chart to see if there is any pattern to your pain. You will find a pain chart in our breast pain booklet.

Having painful, sore or tender breasts can cause a lot of anxiety. But on its own, pain in the breasts isn't usually a sign of breast cancer. 

You may be reassured to hear that breast cancer is uncommon in women in their 30s so the changes you have noticed are more likely to be because of one of the reasons mentioned above rather than cancer. However, it’s still important to see your GP to get fully assessed.

If you are concerned about waiting for a week to be seen, you could contact your GP and let them know you have noticed a new lump in your breast.  They will let you know if they need to see you sooner.

For more details see our booklet Know your breasts: a guide to breast awareness and screening.

Do call our Helpline again if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Thank you for your message, that is reassuring but I know I won't know for sure until I see the doc. 

Highlighted

Hi, no need to be sorry - I appreciate your message, thank you so much for replying. xx

Highlighted

Hi

This waiting for appointments is very tough and I sympathise.

you may have a harmless cyst developing - I’ve had many of these and they can be really painful but are easily sorted. I’ve also had breast cancer and that wasn’t painful.

Good luck and take care x

Highlighted

Sorry, just seen you are asking the nurses! Time I went to bed! I'm sure they will be along to help you tomorrow x

Highlighted

Hello, just seen your post, sorry you are worried. Breast cancer is not usually painful, I've had it three times and never painful. Years ago, in my 40s, I had a sore painful breast which turned out to be mastitis. So, definitely get checked out, but try not to worry too much if you can. If you want to talk to someone before your gp app,  you could call the nurses on here, they are great. Good luck Mo xx 

Highlighted

Worried - looking for a bit of advice before doctors appointment

Hello.

A few weeks ago, (approximately 3) I started feeling some pain in my left breast only - it is a mild pain, it feels more tender/ sensitive/bruised. I didn't think much of it and I thought it would go away but it is still here. It doesn't hurt all of the time, in fact, it doesn't hurt for the majority of the time but now and again, I can feel it, it isn't agonising at all and doesn't really bother me at all. It hurts when I touch it or perhaps when I turn over from right to left/left to right when I'm in bed. I have made an appointment with my GP as I thought it was best to get it checked but that isn't until a week. I am growing more concerned as I was feeling my breasts and I think I feel a lump - I can't be 100% sure but I am certain I feel something in the area of soreness and I don't feel this on the right side. I know I won't know until I see my doctor but are these usual signs of breast cancer? Any advice would be great, I guess I am just looking for a bit of guidance before my appointment. I am 32 - nearly 33.