Yes, mine was also deep and near chest wall. Not quite under arm but in that area.
Will get more information.
Well my tumour was also 9mm Iam a D cup.
The area on me (as my tumour was buried well inside my breast near the top) was under the arm slightly and about a quarter of my breast.
Only side effect (which I dont mind) is armpit has no hair and I dont sweat under there either.
As for heart risk (yes it was my left side) they were very good with the breath hold stuff. And am told risk is minimal.
But all I can say is maybe if in doubt dont do it like you my oncologist didnt mind either way.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Just some follow up. My radiotherapy was put back about 10 days because I was still unsure.
Re the partial: I had an appointment with the radiographer who showed me the plans and the area of my breast to be radiated. It was much larger than I thought. Previously told on phone by other radiographer 8.27 cm. This area now is about one third of my breast. I’m about a C/D cup, but it seems like almost WBI. My tumour was 9mm.
Did you have a small area done for partial? Maybe partial is more beneficial to larger breasted ladies. Not a lot of difference for me.
Heart risk also slightly higher. I had almost decided to go ahead .
Will discuss with my counsellor.
Hi Mermaid 13
Yes the anxiety could be down to stress. I didnt know if I was coming or going at the time.
But for my mental health I had to stop tamoxifen and go with the radiotherapy. As I said it was right for me, I dont regret my descision (however I will never know if I would have felt the same if I hadn't done any option)
I feel very lucky to have come through this relatively unscathed Grade 1A found really early.
Whatever you decide it has to rest easy with you.
Goodluck whatever you decide to do.
Thanks for that information.
That was ‘fortunate’ your side effects were early enough for you to still take radiotherapy.
Ive only been on tamoxifen a month. I’m feeling fatigue, sore knees and anxiety. Unsure if I would have the anxiety anyway due to stress at my decision.
Like you I would prefer not to do rads, but really no idea how long I’ll be able to do Tami.
And the Prime study explicitly says 5 years , if not doing rads.
I accepted as a precaution. For psychological reasons.
I’ll chat again to the radiographer on Monday.
You are def not a pest.
I was very unsure but had started hormone therapy straight after surgery (due to delays of christmas etc there was a slightly longer wait to see the oncologist. I had at the point of seeing him decided not to do the radiotherapy as was told only full breast was the option, I was not sure what to do and told to think about it. However during the next couple of weeks follwing that appointment I had a call from the oncologist saying he had made a mistake and I could have partial ( it was always only goint to be 5 days) I then discussed what was happening with the hormone therapy and he told me to stop,(as percentage difference was so small.by this time almost 3 months had passed and time was running out. So after a few days of talking with hubby and a friend whom had been down this road, decided I had to take the radiotherapy for my mental state. So yes there was a delay but only due to timings.But it was obvious ht was not going to suit me.
Thanks for that.
Just last question. So, you only took radiotherapy when the HT didn’t suit you? I.e. months after HT?
I had to start HT at same time as I made decision re radiotherapy. My only reason for agreeing was due to concerns re the drugs and perhaps not being able to complete 5 years. If drug side effects don’t kick in for 6 months, would be too late to switch to radiotherapy.
Will chat again with radiotherapist. BCN not very approachable.
Sorry to be a pest!
Glad you had a good long chat. It does help with perspectives on things.
I was on ht for 3 months before I made the decision. ( oncologist was not bothered as only made 1% difference in outcome)
But my mental state meant I worried about not doing enough to beat the cancer although my surgeon etc said my chance of recurrence was very low. I felt I had to do the radiotherapy as it sat better in my head. I dont regret that decision as after 1year still cancer free😃
Whatever you decide it must feel right for you.
I will answer anything I can, but I cant make the decision for you
Thanks for that.
I had a really helpful call from the senior radiographer who is part of my team and was at my first meeting with oncologist. She spoke for over an hour and did reassure me a lot, but mentioned that some people decline due to thinking ‘not going through all that for only 8%’, whereas others want to minimise chance of mastectomy and go ahead.
I too am worried about hormone therapy. My reason for accepting radiotherapy was because I was unsure if I could stick HT. She said most benefit gained in first 2 or 3 years. That’s encouraging. I’ve only done a month and have much fatigue.
She also said partial had less s/e’s and at 3 year mark cosmetic outcome was better.
She said I could phone again if I had any more questions. Must admit, though it was good to get the chance to get more information, I’m not 100% sure, as I’ve got no idea how the HT will be long term.
Were you on HT for a while before you had to make the decision re radiotherapy?
Anyway, will probably phone her again.
Sorry for being longwinded.
I chose to have partial radiotherapy.
This felt like the right decision for me (although my oncologist was ok with me not having radiotherapy at all)
But found there was no way I could tolerate hormone therapy (it made me suicidal). So this seemed like my only option for my mental state.
At no time was I told fibrosis would be worse. infact I was told may be less side effects.
btw I was 57 at diagnosis. I just did what felt right for me.
The descision you make has to be rght for you. Maybe talk to your breastcare nurse again.
Just another question. We’re you given a choice of partial or whole?
Im over 65 and my choice was partial or none at all.
Good that you’re doing well, but I had read partial was worse than whole for fibrosis.
yes I had just 5 days accelerated partial just like you are going to have by the sounds of it.
I know its easy to say but it will all be ok.
Just to clarify- did you have the accelerated partial…..I.e. 5 days or just the partial?
Yes I struggled too to find anyone who had had partial. But I have not got fibrosis. Infact as I said no obvious signs of any problems to date and def no shrinkage. But we are all different. I didnt get any of the side effects I was warned of.
You'll be fine my outcome has been excellent. so dont think everyone reacts the same tbh.
Sorry forgot to say, at planning, radiographer showed me part of breast to be radiated, and said only that part would shrink.
Many thanks for replying. Good to hear a positive outcome.
As it’s so new, couldn’t find anyone who’d had it. Googling came up with worse cosmosis.
So you didn’t get fibrosis?
Hi there sorry not seen your 1st post. But yes I had Apb in March last year. I have had no problems to date whatsoever. Sailed through. No real long term side effects to speak of. Although I did moisurise really well upto and after the therapy. I really wouldnt worry about shrinkage as I was told may never happen.
And so far so good
I’m really worried about partial breast radiotherapy. Due to start in under 2 weeks, but it’s a new procedure and I can’t find anyone who’s had this.
At planning, radiotherapist said only part of my breast would shrink. Reading partial gives worse cosmetic outcome.
Anyone had Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation.