Advice on working during radiotherapy

Currently waiting for my radiotherapy to be booked in. Would be interested to hear about people’s experiences of either continuing to work during treatment or taking the time off. What would people recommend / be mindful of. 

I think it depends on a number of factors whether it’s manageable for you personally - firstly the type of job you do and how demanding physically and emotionally that is ,also how accommodating your employers are - will they let you have flexible working ,will it be a big issue if you need to take time off during rads ,do you need to travel a lot for your treatment ,do you have a lot of other family commitments that will need your energy also during rads.Personally I couldn’t have worked during rads as I found it pretty exhausting and I did a very demanding job  -the combination of travelling and random appointment times would have made it practically very difficult even if I hadn’t found it exhausting but I know a lot of people who found it manageable - you do most definitely need and understanding and flexible employer .Good luck whatever you decide .Jill x

Hi

Compared to chemo, I found radiotherapy a doddle. The worst I experienced as a mild itch in one spot front and back. But there are others who have managed chemo well and been flattened by radiotherapy. We’re all different and it’s hard to plan when you don’t know how you are going to feel. Fatigue is a common side effect and it’s very distinctive - it’s not the tiredness as we’re used to.

One thing to factor in is that, although radiotherapy takes a matter of minutes, you have travel and parking time and, if a machine breaks down, you can expect long waits. It’s not as straightforward as getting a series of early appointments/all sorted.

If you are concerned about your employer’s support, remember that all cancer patients are registered as disabled and, as such, you are entitled to your rights under the Equalities Act (what was the Disabilities Discrimination Act). No one wants conflict with their employer but it’s worth knowing this. 

The final factor (in my thinking) is the sheer emotional stress of breast cancer treatment - diagnosis, surgery, treatments, they all take their toll. Some people work because they must for financial/job security reasons; some people choose to work; I get the impression most choose not to work because getting through treatment can be hard work mentally. Ignoring the emotional aspect of cancer, not giving your body and mind time to come to grips with everything, can lead to significant problems later. I’m not trying to be alarmist but you did ask what to be mindful of.

Hope that helps and I hope you are as lucky as I was with radiotherapy x

Hi Stayzen

I finished rads a couple of weeks ago and was lucky in that I did not have to work.  I believe I could have put some hours in had I been forced to/not had the benefit of health insurance.

I had quite an easy time on chemo and found rads to be annoyingly relentless ( I had 16 sessions, suspect you may be having less as outcomes of fast forward trial has reduced number in most cases) in that its day in day out (weekends a reprise!). At least with chemo I had a 3 week gap inbetween and it wasn’t “socially challenging” thanks to bl00dy coronavirus.

I was lucky in that the boyfriend chauffeured me (I could have driven) and hospital is only 20 mins away, I did feel more tired that normal but not the fatigue that some have.  On the latter point I made time to get exercise throughout, despite being tired, which I reckon helped.  Bear in mind that systematic moisturising and still doing arm exercises (am assuming you’ve had some sort of surgery) will take time during the day too.

I do think Jaybro’s advice is spot on in that you may be able to work but it can be beneficial to recouperate overall regardless of the impact of rads…I’m glad I still am as am not only still red/sore/tired but having some ME time before returning to some normality (if there is such a thing nowadays!!).

I found also that sleep was interrupted by the soreness - worth pointing out that I think I got “extra” sore as had an ANC so the area under armpit and below was already uncomfortable (and STILL has a blummin’ seroma).  Not sure if you’re ER+ like me but some nights the combination of hot flushes, heat from radiated area and hot nights (no longer thankfully) made for pants sleep (and a lot of sweat!) …this may also impact your wanting to/ability to work.

Good luck in the rest of your treatment.

Sam

Hi I had the fast forward radiotherapy which was a longer session for 5 days. I finished two weeks ago, I didn’t drive but could have my husband was not at work so he took me. I was very tired the first few days, but last week I felt much better and we have been out for a walk. The hospital signed me off for 3 weeks and I go back to work on the 22nd June.

i hope this helps and wish you well as you continue with your treatment

hi, I worked through most of my chemo and all of my radiotherapy, I drove myself but it’s only 45min away. However I don’t have a physical job and it’s only part time. At the time it did keep my mind from working overtime but I’ve since made up for that! so with the benefit of hindsight I would take time off if you’re able to. 
I did get r1 and r2 creams from my gp and had absolutely no Skin issues whatsoever. I got a bit tired towards the end plus some nausea  through out and wow was I emotional! 
I went on holiday 6 weeks ( Feb this year) later and was fine in the sun too which I think is down to the  r1&r2.
hope that helps x

Thanks for everybody’s advice, I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to respond. Work is very supportive, so not being pressurised to work. The question is for me as to whether I will find the routine and normality of work beneficial. It also helps that I am working from home due to covid so no commuting.