357723posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone waiting to start radiotherapy?

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted

Re: Anyone waiting to start radiotherapy?

Hi, I am starting radiotherapy in the beginning of Sept. I am a little apprehensive about it. This is my second go round with DCIS. First time I only had the lumpectomy, that was back in 1994. Now it seems I am almost getting the works. I had my lumpectomy, same breast almost same location. I have been prescribed letrozole and radiotherapy. I am trying to be upbeat and positive for the most part. My medical team is fantastic. So I forge ahead and keep my eye on the prize. Keep positive and surround yourself with loving friends.

Highlighted

Hi,

My lumpectomy is this Friday, I finished a course of 6 chemo sessions early July and am expecting to start radiotherapy in Oct not sure how many as that will depend on lumpectomy results.

Have you been advised of dates and number of sessions yet?

Hope your enjoying the weather.

Take care

Nat

Highlighted

Hi all

Just read all these with interest.

I had lumpectomy and lymph removal on 13th July.

See my oncologist 18th aug to discuss radiotherapy.

I expect 5 sessions.

Been warned about skin - already have medihoney and fatigue.

That should be the end of the 9 month journey - diagnosed 3rd january but know the journey doesnt really end there.

So good to listen to everyone's stories

Good luck

xx

Highlighted

I finished my rads yesterday after a 5 day course. I have a swollen and hot breast but no fatigue as of yet, my skin so far apart from looking pink seems ok. I was told that my skin may worsen before it gets better, expect to peak in 5 days. The heat is the only thing really bothering me and I've been applying watergel r1 and r2. My radiography team all said to use whatever cream I currently use as my skin is used to it. Didn't have to shield before or whilst having treatment but was sensible with the run up to it.

Highlighted

Hi 

I completed my radiotherapy on Tuesday and I’ve got a tender swollen reddened breast don’t feel too fatigued thank goodness 

I’m using Epimax cream three times per day and using simple soap I am not shielding nor was I told to by my trust in Scotland I’ve been using my common sense re not going to pubs etc and the usual Covid precautions but that’s all 

Good luck with your treatment xxxxx

Highlighted

Hi 

I start mine in 17th. I’ve not been told to shield/self isolate... I have been told that I can go to work! 😊

Highlighted

Hi 

Hope you doing ok. I'm in the same position waiting for a date.  I've also been given different advise about shielding during radiotherapy.  One breast cancer nurse says we dont have to but another one today have just said the whole house will have to shield throughout my treatment. What advise have you been given. 

Thank you x

Highlighted

Hi MaggieG,

I’m pretty sure they’ve been given the wrong advice but I’d check with your team just to be on the safe side. I had the 5 days radiotherapy reduced from the original 15 days. I’ve got a 5 year old daughter and I was told I’m perfectly safe so she’s had lots of hugs and cuddles. 

It’s been over 2 weeks now since I finished radiotherapy and I’ve been lucky with my skin reaction. My breast is a bit pink and slightly tender to the touch in places. I applied flamigel RT 3 times a day (once I’ve had the radiotherapy each day) and for 10 days afterwards. I was given it on my first day of treatment and a pamphlet and information sheet at the end on aftercare and what to expect afterwards. 

Good luck to all going through radiotherapy 🌈🌹💖

Tracy 

Highlighted

Thanks for your reply 

I didn’t think about the fast forward aspect but will look into it

Best wishes xxxx

Highlighted

Hi MaggieG,

What an upsetting situation, I'm so sorry.

I've just done some checking through the literature I've received from the hospital, and from a practical point, there are multiple forms of radiotherapy. The main ones being internal and external. If you were having internal (which you'd know about because they'd insert something), then no you wouldn't be able to go near babies, puppies, etc. But for external (which I'm having and I think a lot of people have for breast cancer) you're fine around children. My pamphlet categorically says "does not make you radioactive and is perfectly safe for you to be with people, including children". 

As you're fast forward maybe it's worth speaking with your team just to double check it's the same? Or maybe phone the breast cancer now helpline while they're open this morning?

I'm sorry, this must feel like a kick during a tough time.

Sending lots of love xxx

Highlighted

thought I was doing really well with my fast forward treatment A relative had a baby a few days ago said I wanted to go to visit at weekend I was advised that I would be radioactive through advice they had been given by a health care professional I’m upset and dismayed that I’ve been treated like this Needless to say I won’t be visiting now Any thoughts folks xx

Highlighted

Hi.. exactly the same for me just waiting for appointments. Been told 1 week of it not 3, which is good to hear. Hope it goes well.  x

Highlighted

Hi mmstocker, 

I had a lumpectomy with breast reduction in late June and like you am awaiting a date for planning scan and to start rads! Just want it to start now!! 

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Bonbonboosh ❤️ Pace yourself during rads and listen to your body you might find you have a few more naps during the day 👍 check with your team if they have not already given you instructions about creams my unit didn’t want any deodorant or anything on the skin when they did the rads, ok to slap it on after but not before 👍 you will be surprised how quick the 18 sessions whizz by, there is usually a monthly rads thread, do you might join up with others due to have rads too 👍 but we are here 👭 as are 1,000s of others are cheering you on 👍💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hello everyone, 

It's been great to read through the thread so far. Thank you tmmorriss and Shi for the advice!

I start radiotherapy 3rd August for 18 sessions.

I’ve started moisturising now just in case it helps!

I hope it goes well for everyone, and hopefully we can virtually keep each other in company 🙂

Jen x

Highlighted

Thanks for the info, sounds like it went ok. It’s so nice to be in contact with others going through the same.  x

Highlighted

Hi mmstocker,

I’ve just started radiotherapy today. I’m having 5 days of treatment as opposed to the original 15 that were planned due to covid. I had 2 lumpectomies in January (margins not clear in 1st) followed by chemotherapy and now radiotherapy. 
I met with my radiotherapy consultant at the end of June so had a chance to ask any questions. I found the Breast Care Now radiotherapy pamphlet really useful too. I was given a small information leaflet to take away after meeting my consultant too. 
I had a ct scan planning meeting last week where I had 3 small blue tattoos to make sure treatment is lined up in the same position each time. I must admit I was terrified beforehand but the nurses were lovely and helped put me at my ease. 
I’ve just had my 1st radiotherapy session today and been given flamigel to apply 3 times a day to the breast being treated. 
I’m happy to answer any questions you might have. 

Highlighted

Hi 

Good luck to you too hope you don’t have to wait too long xxx

Highlighted

Hi Shi, thanks for the tips, and the feedback. Just reassuring to connect with others going through the same or who have been through the same. x

Highlighted

Hi MaggieG, good luck I hope it all goes well.  I am waiting to see when mine starts. x

Highlighted

Hi 

I’m started my 5 day fast forward radiotherapy on July 29 got my Planning scan yesterday Still feels quite surreal but I want to get started With my treatment although I’m apprehensive I know it’s for the best xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi mmstocker ❤️ For rads, keep hydrated during rads, it helps with fatigue, keep best top with no seems on rather than bra, loose scarves dangling down front camouflage the fact no bra on, try and wear loose kaftan round the house so you can get air to skin as much as possible. Creams that lots of us have used to slap on to help with the sizzle have been moo goo, Aveno, e45, dr organics tea tree and aloe Vera gel. You go with what suits your skin, there are no right or wrongs, you team will keep eye on your skin and they have medi honey (I think it was some ladies are given if required) try and pretend you are on a sun lounger in a nice sandy beach (that’s what i did) and saw the machine as extra dr making me better ❤️ Hope this helps, there is always the someone like me option on here and you can speak to a nurse, please use the number at the top 💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Thanks 😊 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello mmstocker,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry you haven't had any response yet. I am hoping my post will help our members to see it and share their advice or experience.

You can also post your message on to Going through Breast Cancer Treatment where it will be easier for the members to notice it.

Sending you our warmest wishes x

Highlighted

Anyone waiting to start radiotherapy?

I’ve just had a lumpectomy last week. Is anyone here in the same boat and waiting to start radiotherapy?