62379members
328264posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 2018 Radiotherapy

Re: April 2018 Radiotherapy

15 I think is the minimum then they add on boosters but women who have had mx don't seem to get boosters. They are targeting the lymph node under my breast bone and also near collar bone. It's my right side so I don't have to hold my breath. Which is good I'm not sure I could hold my breath and concentrate on being still at the same time! Do you have a start date Jencat?
Butterflyflyfree good luck tomorrow. It's really easy nothing to worry about. Anyone else starting this week? Sorry if you've mentioned it my memory is rubbish

Forgot to say Lesley, glad your second sesssion went smoothly! x

I know Lesley, I'll be fried! Smiley Sad Hoping I won't need as many as that xx

Cassie, I had a lumpectomy and will have possibly 30 rads, although they did say 15 intitially. However I'm under a different trust now for my rads because of the lymph node in my breast and needing the holding breath technique for it, which the hospital nearer to me can't do. This hospital is saying I'll need more than 15 sessions because of it-I had a PET scan last week and the results of that will determine how many I have xx

I want to test a theory I have. Would you ladies mind letting me know why kind of surgery you had and how many rads your having. Example I had single mastectomy and have 15 rads.

People I know of so far seem to have more rads if they have had a lumpectomy rather than a mastectomy. That's just an observation tho not medically confirmed. I'm not sure if that's why mine I've been reduced.

number 2 in the bag!

getting into a little routine - took baby wipes to take off the additional boob drawing and also my aloe vera gel to moisturise before I get dress.

I was in and out in less than 20 mins today, that was from checking in to leaving the dept.  It would have been quicker but I didn't sit on the bed right to start off with - hopefully tomorrow will be quicker as I know where I went wrong today.

I literally don't feel anything.  Boob was a bit pink when I went to bed last night, but don't know how much more I am noticing because I am looking for it - if that makes sense.

Thanks for the heads up Roxanne - will keep an eye out as per your timetable .... watch this space!!

I'm trying to keep as active as possible and eating super healthy, desperately trying to lose the chemo steroid weight and water retention ....... not successfully 😫

Jencat - 30 sessions?  ouch!!  xx

Thank you everyone for your reassurance about having the tattoos done. The person who told me about them made it sound worse! xx

That's good news Cassie about completing your first rads and not needing so many Smiley Happy

Hope you don't mind me asking, but why are your rads reduced now? Mine have been increased! I was going to have 15, but it could be as many as 30 now, will find out more when I see the consultant this Friday.

Did you have to hold your breath? xx

Well done Cassie, great news you don’t need the extra. I’m right behind you all the way then now! Xx

1st rads in the bag! Hardest bit is staying still. Good news though that they reduced my sessions from 25 to 15 when they did my planning. So I might not be fried to bits after all. I now finish on 24th April.
Is everyone else ok?

Hello!  Starting today after a few days away over Easter.  Three weeks and then intravenous zoledronic acid.  Feel like I have pretty much recovered from surgery in February and was well enough to keep working most of the time from home, so a bit apprehensive about fatigue, although this time taking leave as I have given the office plenty of notice :-)  Been reading all the posts - very helpful!  Think I have been lucky so far, so fingers crossed for the rest...  Louise

Jencat - the tattoos weren’t painful. All they do is insert a needle with a bit of dye on it. So just like the numerous injections we’ve all had over the last few months! Just a scratch really. Good luck! 

Ladies,

you will get slightly differenting messages and reactions. You will need to know your  body and do what's right for you.

I'm  halfway  today, brought  myself an Easter egg to celebrate at the weekend  and  got knocked out 😳😳😳.  I've  been following Shi on the Feb radio thread, i was walking 10,000 steps a day  and 💃💃💃. Woke up in the middle of saturday night with stomach cramps, shivering and pains up and down my arms and legs. In the morning my face was swollen and it hurt to swallow. After much panicking i persuaded everyone it was probably flu and not a reaction to the Radio. My rad team  agreed  with me eventhough i couls barely walk to the machine😕😕

So watch out for you immune systems they maybe weak. I didn't  have chemo so I'm really surprised a cold could effect me this way.

The soreness started after day 3, fatigue began after day 4 changes to look and feel to the skin day 6.

8 of 15 day 💃💃💃 and keep  exercising 🙅🙆🙇

Thanks for the rads info Lesley. Well done on completing your 1st, as you say roll on May!

Well done Nat, first bit over, when do you start? How many are you having? I too have a device to use to hold my breath, I remember my mouth being really dry after my planning appointment so must remember to take some water with me as well as moisturiser. 

Good luck Cassie for tomorrow. 

Hi Jencat, hope you get your appointment soon. I had 4 tattoos! I asked her to start on my op side as that’s completely numb still, so that one was fine! I agree with Lesley that the sternum one is the most uncomfortable but it’s so quick and doesn’t hurt after. 

When I came home and had a look there was so much black pen and ink everywhere I wanted to scrub it all off and then panicked that I’d wash the tattoos off 😂 safe to say I didn’t 😊

I haven’t been told anything about deodorant but have a Sanex one that is 0% aluminium so am using that.

xx

Good luck WhyteFawn for tomorrow

Jencat, I had three dot tattoo, one in the centre on the sternum, and one on each side.  For me the side ones were fine, the one on the naughty boob side I almost didn't feel, but thats a throw back to the surgery etc.  The one on the sternum I found the most painful, although it's over in seconds anyway, but I wasn't expecting it to 'sting' that much..... but there's not fat there to cushion it.  The radiographer said that most people find that one the most uncomfortable.  I would say it wasn't as bad as the injection at the dentist!

xx

Good luck for tomorrow Cassie, hope it goes well x

Thanks everyone for all the rads info, hope it's not too long before I'm joining you.

Just a question, is it painful having the tattoos? I got the impression from someone who had bc a few years ago that it is, although she told me something before I had my op and it was fine! x

I have a stick deodorant from Acti Labs and it's aluminium free. They didn't tell me not to wear any. I haven't been told and specific dont's whilst on rads. Just to moisturise really. First one tomorrow!

sending you hugs Nat - you are right, it's a pants thing to have to be dealing with, but we are all strong women and will get this sorted and put to bed!!

As with chemo, it still amazes me that each trust say/do things differently.  

I'm going to avoid deodourants for the time being anyway, aloe vera is ordered, and yes it is one special offer online at H&B aloeone is the code to get it for £1.

I think I am going to take my cream in with me tomorrow and apply it as I get dressed.

I have a feeling April is going to fly by!

xx

Just back from my CT planning and tattoo session. 

Apparently the new national protocol for creams is ‘anything the patient wants’ but my team still recommend E45, Diprobase or Aloe gel. Any roll on deodorant is apparently now fine. I didn’t see the details of supplements before I went in so I didn’t ask, but they didn’t mention anything. I’m having the gated treatment as it’s my left breast. Was a bit nervous about holding my breath but the test was fine. 

I was feeling fine going in this morning, and am fine now, but had a wobbly moment when the radiographer sat me down to ‘ask me how I was’ and went through a range of symptoms - to which I replied ‘yes’ to a fair few - which reminded me just how grim this cancer lark can be. Suddenly tearful and wobbly. But it passed. Roll on 5 weeks time when at least this radiology will be over!

A question I asked amongst lots of other ones ..... earrings and watches fine, necklace was fine as it isn't a long one..... also ..... 

they preferred it if you don't wear deodorant as so many of them have aluminium in

I was told to moisturise twice a day - but don't turn up with lots of cream still on the breast

If I think of anything else I will pop them down!

Silly question, but do we need to remove jewellery and earrings for radiotherapy? X

Number 1 complete!!  ☢️😎

19 to go!!  

Didn't feel a thing, quite a lot of setting up and the machine didn't want to start up - I was first up!  and then failed part way thru.... so a slightly protracted session.

They have given me the heads up re moisturising and when to expect any side effects, skin pain/breast pain - probably not until week 3, but to expect it to continue for 3 weeks after the last session.

It will be the end of April before we know it!! 

xx

Hi BizzyLizzy

I was told it was inconclusive as to whether vitamins affected radiotherapy. However was advised to err on the side of caution to gain most effect, so will be stopping multivitamins for the 3 weeks I’m being zapped. The consultant medical onc also agreed and said I shouldn’t take the calcichew after my first Zometa infusion either as that conincided too. Having gone through so much already it seems sensible to do what we can to get the most effective results from what we’re given. 

Hope your appointment this morning goes well. Xx

Community Champion

Bizzy Lizzy they do suggest you stop taking certain vitamin supplements during rafiotherapy as it can affect how the radiation works - something to do with
" free radicals " - Im pretty sure vitamin C was one of them .Maybe you could ring the unit to check ?

I would ask tho rads staff about it Bizzylizzy. I take supplements too and had to check mine were ok to carry on with during rads. They were, but it's best to check. Good luck with everything and the same to everyone else. I'm now 5 week since the end of rads and not feeling too bad at all 💗💗

Have a pre course Radiotherapy group thingy in the morning and tour of the department 

had pre planning and tattoos 

treatment starts next Monday 9th.

hAve Aloe lotion got it from Holland and Barret on offer at the moment.

Was just wondering - 

i am taking Vitamin C powder at the moment as I have another auto immune condition too 

I am reading some info that says it's ok to carry on with this from some info but other info says it stops the Radiotherapy from being as effective ?? 

Does anyone know either way ?? 

Thanks x 

liz 

Good luck to MHaz starting your rads tomorrow and CathySid and Nat with your planning appointments. Xx

Good luck tomorrow for your first one Lesley x

Hi ladies

More colours Lesley! I need to seek them out 😂 Good luck for the morning, early start for you 😳 will they all be at that time? Mine have been planned for the late afternoon, although was told to collect a new sheet of appointments at the first one, so that could all change!
My machine is called Willow..Sounds gentle! So hope she will be kind to my skin 😊
I “only” have 15 rads but to a huge area, no boosters needed so I’ll be at the finishing line waiting for you and cheering you all on the last few.
Looking forward to sharing this next stage with you all. Xx

Morning all

Butterflyflyfree - I've got them in white, black, nude and a pinky colour - I probably need to stop now!! 🤣

Sounds like you have a full summer planned ahead of you!  Probably not the activity you wanted.  Once Rads are over it is just 6 monthly Zoledronic acid for me for the next 3 years.  I'm imagining a last day of school feelign as I run out of the hospital on the 30th April!!  But if the end of chemo is anything to go by, it will be a completely different feeling??

WhyteFawn I am a day ahead of you - I'll let you know how it goes!   Just the 20 for me, 15 all over, 5 focussed, they were going to do the focussed ones first but when I went for my mapping session the radiographer said that my lumpectomy didn't have any metal clips within it - they use those to mark up the targetted area - so now I need to see the Onc for her to 'mark me up' - not had that appt date yet .... and not really sure what to expect!  

I'm on the sunbed at 0830 in the morning - I'm thinking to myself that I am heading to California.  I am sure you have seen posts from the lovely Shi??  She kept our November chemo thread going with lots of great hints and tips.   She suggested we name our rad equipment - mine is LA2 - so Los Angeles, hence heading to California .... sounds so much better than Canterbury!!

Have a lovely Bank Holiday, rest up .... ready to kick this segment of our treatment right up the as*e!!

xx

Community Champion

WhyteFarm

Know what you mean, I had 20, I could not imagine being at the end of them as mine were over the xmas period 2016 so extended by 4 days due to bank holidays, but boy was I glad to see early Jan knowing I was nearly there Smiley Happy Smiley Happy xx

Too many! Hahaha. 25 in total. I'll be fried to a crisp. 🔥
Community Champion

WhyteFawn

Welcome to the thread Smiley Happy

How many sessions are you having?

xxx

Hi ladies. I'm starting on 4th April. Can't wait to get started so I can get finished with it.
I hope you are all having a lovely Easter weekend x
Community Champion

Butterflyflyfree

I am sure it was very emontional but a major step so well done you lady, sending you loads of hugs xxx

No easter eggs for me, I dont eat a lot of chocolate, so instead of an egg I generally get something that I really want from Colin, honestly this year it was a long armed stapler.  I produce fixture booklets for my bowl clubs and have always had to borrow one which is a pain, now I have my own.  I am very easily pleased.

Have a great day xxxx

No apology needed, but thank you. 

Had a lovely time with the family and hardly thought about my situation which was great...until we were talking about hair and colour, so I decided to show them all what was underneath my hat, and promptly burst into tears! Soon recovered and hat went back on! 

Plenty of eggs, but not made a start yet! Happy Easter. Xx

Community Champion

Butterflyflyfree

Sorry I didnt realise that you were having the other treatment as well.

Have a lovely Easter with the family dont eat too many eggs Smiley Happy :0

Sending you loads of hugs xxx

Thanks Helena, time does seem to have a mind of its own..slow one minute and whizzing by the next depending on what we’re facing.
Unfortunately I don’t finish active treatment until October as I’m continuing with Herceptin and Pertuzumab, then it’ll be a CT scan to see what’s going on before deciding what to do next. But at least it’ll be nothing new 🤞 over the summer and I am hoping to fit in a couple of breaks between treatments.
Off to see my daughter with the rest of the family today to exchange Easter Eggs! My brothers are 51 and 45 and would be horrified if we all stopped sharing 😂😂 Hope everyone has a lovely day xx
Community Champion

Butterflyflyfree

MInd you if April goes as quickly as March has it will be no time at all before you are on your last session and the end of active treatment xxx

Community Champion

Nat

I wore my bra throughout all my rads.  I would take it off at night when I was at home, but needed to wear it for work during the day.  I bought them from M&S they were soft non wired and very comfortable.  They do advise you to leave your bra off whenever you can as it allows the air to get at your breast.

I took my E45 with me to the sessions and would apply it immediately after whilst I was getting dressed and puting my bra on.

Helena xx

I’m using the same Lesley and was delighted to find them in black too last week and 25% off! Not sure whether they’ll be comfortable if my skin starts to suffer but will just have to see. Aveeno and Aloe Vera at the ready. 

Someone has suggested putting silk next to our skin underneath a bra, so my mum has given me a couple of old silk scarves to try. And I’ve also looked out a couple of tops that are really soft on the inside that I could wear alone, so am feeling fairly prepared! 

Have a lovely Easter ladies and then we’re off! Crazy to think that by the time we’re finished April will nearly be over 🙈 Hopefully spring will have brought some warmer weather by then? Xx

Morning all
I had surgery back in September, chemo started November, last dose was at the end of February. I’ve worn seamless crop bras from Sainsbury’s throughout - they are really comfy and give support. I’m planning on sticking with them for rads too But I’ve also seen some advice that you’re better wearing nothing??
Time will tell!

Have a good Easter weekend xx

Hi everyone,

im having my planning/tattooing meeting for rads on Tuesday, too.  Looking forward to getting this last bit of intense treatment done - it's been nearly 2 months since my surgery and has felt like a long wait.  I started tamoxifen last week - no extra side effects yet so I'm feeling relieved.  I am tired and achey some days though and I hope the radiotherapy won't make me worse. 

Im planning on wearing my soft post surgery bra.  I still wear it day and night and it's very comfy.  

Cx

I’ve got my planning session on Tuesday then start my rads on 9th. Have been told to use E45 and aloe Vera. 

Im trying to work out what to do about bras - am back in my bra (although sore) since my surgery three weeks ago, but I’ve read that my boob will be too sore to wear a bra during rads? Am working throughout but have been able to get my treatment at the end of the day so I could wear a t shirt under my coat on the tube back home?! Anyone had any advice on underwear during rads?

Hi ladies

i have my scans next week for bone density, & ct scan for radiotherapy.  I've been advised to use aloe Vera, sanex deodorant which is alcohol and aluminium free & bio oil.  

I guess it's trial and error and we find out which suits us the best.

the next step step for us, thinking of you all

xxx

I start mine on the 9th 

have got e45 but will get Alovera too.

They prescribed diprobase to me during chemo - I had a bad nerve reaction in my feet.  

And the McM rad said that a lot of people get reactions to E45 .... It's a pity you can't get samples!

xx

On re-reading my notes it doesn't say E45 (I got that wrong), it says Aqueous cream or diprobase .... I'm not sure which one to go for! But have got the Aloe Vera gel, and will pop in the fridge.

Definitely best to stick with what you have been using 😊 with their advice 😊.

Xx

They have seemed very reluctant to give me anything on prescription .... and the MacMillan radiographer told me that it was best to stick with anything that worked thru chemo as new allergies develop for most ladies and they don't want to aggravate anything!

Time will tell - I might have to pick up some aloe vera though ..... just in case!

xx

I’ve been using Aveeno during chemo and was told I can carry on with that. Just got a big bottle on prescription 😉
Thought I’d go and get some aloe Vera as a standby as a lot of ladies have said how soothing it is, especially when cold from the fridge.
Xx