Back massage whilst having radiotherapy

I love a good old back massage and was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have had this whilst going through radiotherapy? It’s such a relaxing experience and it would be nice to continue it through treatment if I can.

Hi Nipper11

Thanks for posting. Hopefully other Forum users will reply soon. In the meantime you may be interested in our feature on massages after a breast cancer diagnosis: breastcancercare.org.uk/about-us/news-personal-stories/massage-after-breast-cancer-diagnosis-it-safe. 

If you would like to discuss things further, please don’t hesitate to phone our Helpline and one of our breast care nurses will be able to offer further information. The number is 0808 800 6000, we’re open Mon-Fri 9am-4pm and Sat 9am-1pm. Please note that we’re closed on Saturday 30th March due to an office move.

Best wishes

Nik

Breast Cancer Care

Hi Nipper11

I had massage during Chemo, pre and post Surgery and throughout Radiotherapy.

I also had Acupuncture, Spiritual Healing and Manual Lymphatic Drainage. 

I’m now Cancer free and recovering really well.

I went back to work Part time, just after Radiotherapy no 15, I had 15 sessions of Radiotherapy. 

Treat yourself to Massage, you will find it helpful.

Dear Nipper

We have provided relaxing massage therapy over the years to many cancer sufferers, who have requested it for the exact same reasons you mention. We ask for a doctor’s note to be provided to confirm it is safe for that particular person’s conditions. It may be a good idea for you to get something like that? That would (a) give you peace of mind that the type of massage you might get is safe for you and (b) you can use it to show the therapist.

If you are based in London by any chance, we have many wonderful therapists experienced in doing this … and in particular we hire therapists based on their high levels of empathy. 

With best wishes for your speedy recovery,

Best

Kate