cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best skin creams for radiotherapy

6 REPLIES 6
kathyx

Re: Best skin creams for radiotherapy

There's a lot of good advice on there and one of the most important is not to put anything on your skin before treatment.  I went to every session with scrupulously clean skin and only moisturised afterwards, which is, I believe, one of the main reasons that I had no side effects whatsoever, either at the time or now 2 months out. I used E45 and Aveeno afterwards and washed with Simple soap.

merrymaker16

Hello,

I finished my radiotherapy in early February and apart from very faint pigmentation (like fading suntan) over the treatment area, and my nipple tending to be rather dry, my skin is perfect now. I really didn't want to use any products containing petro-chemicals so followed this routine rigorously: https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/prevent-radiation-burn/ . I checked it out with a doctor to reassure myself first because of my overall anxiety at the time. During treatment I had a very red rash which at times was unbelievably itchy, but otherwise no problems. As soon as treatment stopped my skin started to settle down quickly. I'm using a lavender moisturiser on my nipple.

blueash
Community Champion

I decided to treat myself to the stuff they only give you if you get bad burns! So I bought it from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biafine-271164-Emulsion-hydratante-186g/dp/B017NMJKL2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=b...

My sessions were always at 9 am so I did not put it on in the morning but I applied it as soon as the treatment was over, then at about 1 pm, then 5pm then before bed and I was fine. The only place to burn was under my armpit but I did not know the beam went that far so was not putting it there. As soon as I noticed I put the cream there too and it cleared up. Great stuff.

Holeinone

Thought I would update this as I've managed to purchase Dr Organic max strength Aloe Vera gel 200ml from Holland and Barratt today for just £2.70, instead of the usual £5.99, if anyone needs some.

Holeinone

Thanks for your reply, Monicanatura. I like the sound of aloe with lavender! I will stick to the ones I have to start with and if they fail will grab some of that aloe.

monicanatura

Hi Holeinone

There are so many SLS free creams on the market, I’m using Aloe Vera with Lavender oil, I’m also using Sheabutter, Beeswax and CBD oil. 

Best of luck with your rads. 😘

Holeinone

Best skin creams for radiotherapy

Hello ladies

Looks like I will start rads soon and I notice in the information sheets I have been given there is mention of not using cream with SLS in, due to the drying effects. So, just picking brains for best creams really, is any moisturiser without SLS OK? Will my skin go like chemo burn as I had that quite badly on my face but managed to fend it off by applying Lulu's time bomb complexion cocktail every couple of hours.