69827members
367006posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2017 Radiotherapy

Re: December 2017 Radiotherapy

Hi Xena, I recognise you from the August Chemo thread!  I start on 19th Dec til 19th January, am day 11 after last chemo and am feeling better every day since day 9.  Chemical hangover slowly going away and not too fatigued yet.  Good luck with the last SE of chemo, one day at a time x.

I have a question for you ladies....

When applying moisturising creams, do we need to then make sure it's all washed off and clean for the actual radiotherapy to make sure there's no residue on the skin or doesn't it matter?  I'd want to plaster the moisturiser after a morning shower but do we have to have dry, clean skin for the session??  

Has anyone suffered hot flushes whilst having radiotherapy?

I am drinking double the amount of water that I normally drink!

My dog was exactly the same, they seem to sense that something is not right x

Angela, I have found I need to use my pump before rad sessions, and have found myself short of breath more often than usual  This could be a SE from the letrozole, but could also be a side effect of the rads, as the rays go through a small section of the lung.  It could also be made worse by anxiety, in my case, as I still haven't come to terms with the radiatiion.  (Or the cancer, for that matter.)

Community Champion

Ruth - that's interesting you say about your dog - mine seems to recognise I'm having some kind of treatment again - she was weird when I was on chemo and she's a bit the same now I'm on rads!

Mind you she was even stranger just before I was diagnosed - she just wouldn't settle at night time - would lie in her bed whinning when we went to bed - very strange!

Anyone’s asthma kick off with their radiotherapy?

Angela
Community Champion

Ruth

I have seen on here other ladies mention how their pets react to them  xx

Thanks Helena and Jay just drank another bottle of water I normally drink around 6 litres of tea in a day 😂 so been drinking extra water and pure orange juice as well as I can feel a tickle in my nose to try and head off a cold. Now here is a question since coming back from treatment my dog is so distressed won’t stop panting or licking my hands every chance he gets. Guess he knows 🐕😜 xx
Community Champion

Ruth

Yay that is great well done. 

The headache is probably a bit of stress about having your first one, but make sure that you do drink plenty as the rads can cause dehydration, and a headache.

I remember I had a calendar on my wall at work and each day i crossed off the prevous days session.

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Well done Ruth - keep up with the water - I'm drinking 2 litres a day plus normal drinks. The headache could be thirst related or perhaps due to apprehension/anxiety about today's first treatment.

I've done number 6 and feeling absolutely fine still - thankfully!

Well first one done 19 more to go😀. So fast over before you know it. Thumping headache now so having a cup of tea and feet up

Thanks everyone have my list on the wall ready to mark off. My appointment is 1.10 and around this time until the 20th and then I have them between 8.30 - 9.00 am as my daughter will be off school for Christmas and I have tried not to let what is happening to me take over her 10 year old life. Will let you know later how are t all goes. All prepared taking my toothbrush and paste today as all I wanted to do after my deep breath hold was brush my teeth and get the taste of the plastic from the breathing machine away😂 xx
Community Champion

Good luck for today Ruth - if anything like me, you'll still be lying there at the end waiting for it to start.....! It's so quick and painless but truly amazing!

I've made myself a big chart with days 1-15 and it gives me great pleasure the minute I walk in the door to cross the next one off... I thoroughly recommend it!

I'm day 6 today over a third of the way - no significant problems - a little "rash" appeared after yesterdays but it could have been related to the scarf I had round my neck. It was all but gone by bedtime and completely vanished this morning!

Today's treatment is 1.36 much better for me than yesterday's 17.54...!

Good luck to all ladies having their rads today. x
Community Champion

Ruth

Good luck for tomorrow xxx

Good luck for tomorrow Ruth

Angela xx

Well then the day has nearly arrived 1st rad tomorrow can’t wait to start marking those days off. Good luck to everyone else going through this we will be finished soon. Ruth x

Thanks Helena I got diprobase off the doc last week which I’ll use tonight and ask tomorrow

Angela xx
Community Champion

momo

Mine settled down after a couple of months on tamoxifen but first of all I was very sensitive and could cry at anything which is not like me.  Hardly ever have that happen now xxx

Fourteen out of 20 sessions done and looking forward to my last one next Tuesday. Very tired in the evenings now - a bit like a zombie to be honest and boob very red and nipple quite sore. Stopped using E45 as that made it worse and have now stopped using the Aveeno the radiographer recommended instead as although not as bad as the E45, I still think it's making things worse so think I'm better off with nothing! First month of Tamoxifen done too and still quite emotional at times. It creeps up on me when I least expect it and I'm finding that difficult as I'm usually someone who is strong and in control. Hoping I'll get back to normal soon!

Community Champion

Angela

When you see them tomorrow ask them what creams they recommend.  When I went for my planning apt I was told to use E45 but check it out.  I think unless you ask directly you will not get a clear answer. 

Helena xx

Hopefully the rest will fly by, ta I’ll have a look at Jason I’ve never heard of it

Angela xx
Community Champion

Session 4/15 done and a review too which went exceptionally well.  All is good and tomorrow I'm a third of the way through - where does the time fly to?

Done 6/15 = 40%

nearly half way suddenly!

it seemed such a long haul last week but feels doable now. 

No ill effects except sleepiness and a slightly sore nipple

I’m using Jason Aloe Vera cream which is very soothing and creamy. I prefer it to E45 which I normally use as hand cream but is quite thick to use as a body cream. I also got the Jason shower gel so I have the aloe Vera smell all over! 

Day 1 done and dusted, when told I could put my arms down, had to ask was that it. Mood seems a bit better today even though boss has a bee in her bonnet to meet for a coffee and hasn’t stopped texting

They mentioned the creams but didn’t give me any, Is it only given if needed? Or do u get it off the doc just

Angela xx

Thank you Helena and Jay, think once I get my times tomorrow then I’ll sort a routine which will include healthy eating and more water. It helps to know what’s ahead tomorrow and your tips on what to do 😊

Angela xx
Community Champion

Hi Justme - let's just say; each day I've been ready for my bed at 10 and no problem dropping off! But it's early days yet!

In addition to my normal drinks, I've been drinking a good 2 litres of water each day too.

Good luck tomorrow - it's really quick and a truly amazing piece of equipment! It's just a case of relaxing and let them put you in position! xx

Community Champion

Just4me

It will dont worry.  Good luck tomorrow, it will be a longer apt than normal tomorow as they double check all the measures etc and they give you a bit of a talk about what will happen, but after that they are usually only 10/15 mins from undress and dress again. Make sure you drink plenty and moisturise

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Jay

Very good advise

I didnt have an mx or node clearance and I was told to keep my exercises going through rads and for a good month afterwards.  Must admit the month afterwards went by the board very quickly, however I found in the summer that I was stiffening up a bit and started to do them again for a few days and it really helped.

Helena xxx

I’m looking forward to starting radiotherapy tomorrow, mainly as I’ve turned into a crazy psycho this last week and a half. Hopefully my little autopilot will kick in again and it’ll disappear xx

Jay, what’s your tiredness been like after the first week? xx
Community Champion

I'm on my first weekend following 3 rad sessions and I would recommend anyone who's had mx and complete node clearance to keep that exercise sheet nearby - everything is starting to stiffen up again!  More stretches required....! 

Community Champion

Xena

Hello and you are very welcome to the thread regardless of when you start 🙂

Just a quick question, did you have a fitting when you went for the bra?  I was amazed when I went to M&S to get mine as I was actually two cups sizes smaller than I thoought.

I know they do a lovely vest bra here is the link, dont know if it will be any good but I must admit I found it useful as an alternative to a bra.  They are very soft and I did not find any problems with it at all in terms of getting it on and off.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/secret-support-cotton-rich-vest-with-new-and-improved-fabric/p/p22429...

In relation to tiredness, make sure you take in plenty of fluids, at least 2 litres a day they recommend, this will help with the potential dehydration effects of rad which can cause fatigue. How are you getting to the hospital. 

Helena xxx

Hello everyone! I've just had my last chemo so 

Waiting for my schedule to come through. Due to start 22dec,but as this is a Friday they said will likely be 27/28 then continuing on in Jan. 

So hope you don't mind me joining your DEC group, I'm traditionally late to everything, so skipping in on the tail end of DEC is very me!

Your posts so far have been helpful to read. 

My concerns are tiredness and what bra to wear, I have a non wired from m&s but its totally the wrong size as they don't do a small enough back with big enough cup combi, but was the best I could find before surgery!!! Thinking a bralett but wondering if it may be hard to get over your head and bust if skin us tender???

Hi Sue

I haven’t started yet but start on 6th Dec and finish on the 3rd jan but I have all my dates and have got 2 Saturdays in there to cover Christmas and New Year the 23rd and 30th hope that helps xx
Community Champion

Helen

Hello and welcome to the thread where as you say there is a lot of help and support on here.

Funny I started mine on 20 December last year and completed them on 19 January this year.

Hope you are recovering well from your last chemo and that is another milestone completed.

Helena xx

Hi Ladies!  

I've popped over from the August Chemo forum as I finished my chemo on Monday and am due to start RT on 19Dec til 19th Jan.  Have read all your posts and they're so helpful already!!!  Looking forward to sharing with you all.

Helen

Community Champion

Jay

oops yes sorry I forgot xx

I’ve been so tired every evening, which was a shock when it’s only my first week of treatment. I have managed a short walk each evening though, and today I got out in the sun for half an hour in my free period. But last night I was awake from 3-6am which doesn’t help. Im really hoping I’ll find it easier next week now I’m used to the process, otherwise I may have to take more time off. I really don’t want to as I love teaching and I’ve given up all the other things I enjoy already this term. 

No sore breast yet - might I get away with it? When do people find that starts?

Community Champion

Thanks Helena - I'm used to listening to my body - I had chemo before surgery - say no more!!!
Community Champion

Hufflepuff

They will go quickly now and we will very soon be ringing the bells for you.

Know what you mean, been to work this morning and it is freezing here in Birmingham I dont think it has got above 1 degree today xxx

Hello All,

So I'm just about halfway there now (8 sessions to go) and today I'm really feeling quite tired for the first time.   I think the 70 mile round trip each day adds to the tiredness, although my family and friends have been great, helping with lifts so I don't have to worry about the drive (or finding a parking space!).  I'm snuggled up on the sofa now before the kids get home from school. I'm glad to be inside -  it's freezing!

Hope you are all okay xxx

Community Champion

Jay

To be honest I never had the option of trying to stay awake if I got fatigue, my shoulders would go very heavy and next minute I would be asleep but it was onlyfor about 10/15 mins max and then I was awake and carrying on again, I think it is a matter of listening to your body it will definitely let you know xxx

Community Champion

Annie

Hello and welcome to the thread.  I am not surprised that you were shattered that is some journey to do each way xx

I found that constant travelling to the hospital and back the worst of it, I drove and on some days I got caught in the rush hour traffic which was a nightmare.

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Good afternoon ladies - well number 2 done - and still feel the same!  Popped into supermarket on way back and got some more E45 cream....

Big question - do I have a nap now or fall asleep prompt tonight when I go to bed?!

Jay x

Community Champion

Hello ladies ,good luck with your radiotherapy.Annie A , have you asked whether your hospital has patient transport run by volunteers- 1.5 hours on bus would have finished me off particularly in the 3rf week ? At my hospital you could get door to door tranport provided by volunteers - usually only one or 2 people in a private car -not ambulance - was a great service - Think was run by WRVS ?
Community Champion

Good morning AnnieA - yes I agree lovely to see you're here, a familiar face from our amazing group!

I too felt exhausted once 10 o'clock arrived - I fell asleep with my reading glasses on and my time schedule in my hands - hubby had to gently wake me - oh dear - 1st day not great!!

Do any other ladies already on rads have a lead cover applied for some of the treatment?

Hi everyone I have Just started my treatment today 1 of 20 so not lucky enough to be finished before Christmas. Jay it’s nice to see a famililar face from the amazing may chemo starters group 🙂
I felt wiped out once I got home and made tea but I think the 1hour and half bus journey each way is going to cause me more trouble than the treatment itself. Had a power nap earlier and now struggling to sleep 😞 . I’m having treatment to the left side and don’t have to use any breathing techniques.
Annie

Thank you Helena I’ll defo get a look, though after my WLE I got my own bra on and took the sports bras I had bought back as they turned me lol. Don’t know why but think I’m gonna have to invest any for going back to the gym when allowed xx
Community Champion

Sue

Yes I recall one of the other ladies who has had them on a Saturday so worth asking about xx