360583posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2017 Radiotherapy

Highlighted

Re: December 2017 Radiotherapy

I use my phone just but might need to look on laptop, have just noticed it’s sending the emails into junk folder. 

Angela xx 

Highlighted

Thanks Helena xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Ruth and Angela

You need to click on "My Profile" at the top of the page, then go to subscriptions and notifications tab, then notification settings and adjust them accordingly so that you get an email notification

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Oh I don’t get notifications either😀
Highlighted

Angela

I used to spend my summers in Whitehead with my cousins. I lived in Castlereagh. Xx
Highlighted

Ruth,

Is a bit freaky but in a nice way 😊 I’m whiteabbey just a bit out but you probably know it’s easier to say Belfast lol.

Ps I don’t get notifications on this and keep missing post 🤔

Angela xx
Highlighted

I was told by my onc that evidence about Mirena is inconclusive and manufacturers are over cautious. I was so relieved to be able to keep mine as I haven’t had a period for 15 years but they used to be very heavy.
I reckon the advice about creams is because they need to draw on you with Feltpen each time, so that wouldn’t work if you just put cream on. I’m really liking my Jason aloe Vera cream. Just a slightly sore nipple, like a touch of sunburn, but not getting any worse.
9 done, 6 to go. Luckily no snow here.
Highlighted

Isn’t it. I’m convinced I won’t be going anywhere tomorrow Helena I’m at Little Aston near Sutton lots of small country roads 😞
Highlighted
Community Champion

Ruth

That is so spooky xx

Highlighted

Angela

Belfast my home city. How weird, you and I from Belfast and now I live about 2 miles from Helena 😃

Ruth xx
Highlighted

Helena,

I’m sure your neighbour is very grateful of you. It’s mad the difference between there and here, we have a blazing sun. My other half is complaining that we don’t have any lol, I’m glad it’s away, I’m 8.25 everyday this week

Angela xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Angela

Yes lovely looking out the window at it but that is all I am going to be doing.  Will check on my neighbour tomorrow to make sure she is ok but she has my mobile number to call me if she needs to, she is only next door.

I do hope so but it looks very unlikely here.  They are actually putting out on social media for 4x4 owners to help to get clinical staff to hospitals today in Birmingham and surrounding areas.

xxx

Highlighted

Helena,

That photo looks lovely, we had it on Friday in Belfast but now just the icy stuff.

Hope everyone is able to get to their appointments tomorrow

Angela xx
Highlighted

Looks lovely but not good if you have to travel really pleased im having the ambulance transport now! I wasn't sure about it was going to attempt getting bus but hospital said for anyone who hasn't got their own transport this service is available!!!
Hoping everyone else isn't affected by tge weather to much you might have to ask for this service yourselves if its too much of a problem x
Highlighted

It looks preempt Helena obviously same here as not far from you. Dreading my journey tomorrow. Daughter having panic attack as she is due at work in the children’s at 7.30am ❄️ All buses and trains cancelled
Highlighted
Community Champion

Mishy

Happy to look at it out the window but not for me, I dont know how I am going to get to work tomorrow, I may have to take a days leave.  This was the view out of our window this morning

snow sunday.JPG

Highlighted

I normally love the snow ❄️❄️❄️☃️☃️☃️
Highlighted

Its just frosty here keeping everything crossed 😊❄️❄️❄️
Highlighted
Community Champion

Mishy

We have had about 4 inches so far in Birmingham and it is still snowing 😞

Highlighted

Pilpala i was TN and they still removed my mirena before surgery had blood test ehich cinfi5i am going through menapause now don't know why tgey needed to remove it with me not being hormone led 🤔
Highlighted

Sorry about the typos!!
Highlighted

Thsts good to hear im worried about this snow heading iyr5way to welm reports are saying North Eaat not getting brunt of it so fingers crossed i am getting ambulance transport pick ups as I'm nit a driver and everyone in family are working so i suppose that's a bonus but its a bit concerning for everyone having treatment you don't want spanners in the wirks, i know after a rough ride with chemo i think im just wanting ti vet rhis all done and dusted aa soon as possible but everyone will be feeling rhe same i reckon its nit ideal going through this at this time of year!!!!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Mishy

Oh that is naughty of them to change what they have told you :(.

I had the same breaks last year when I was having my rads and I was worried about it, but the assured me that it would not affect my treatment xx

Highlighted

Hi Pili I was told I have to have my removed before surgery by my hormone levels on both were the highest levels and I have pcos. My gyne removed mine and said it wouldn’t be possible to have any sort of hormone based treatment again which is what controls my pcos so once I am told all ok I’ve decided to have a hysterectomy. Safest option for me as they don’t want to keep me on tamoxifen for 5 years as blood clots run in my family and I have varicose veins. Hope this helps Ruth x
Highlighted

Sorry about the typos in my post session went well feeling fine a little bit tingling in treated breast
Highlighted

1st rads today biy miffed about the bresk in cycle due to xmas and boxing day then again for new years day
Which means xmas week 3 days new year wek 4 days!!! Going to speak about that on Mondays app as I was originally told i would Saturday to make up for the xmas break, im a bit anal about thst sort of thing i don't like breaks in treatment because if holidays!!!
Highlighted

Oh yes, thank you, I hadn't thought of that. I could ask the nurses here couldn't I? I will do that and see what they say.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Think some studies found a very small increased risk so now not recommended by manufacturers for women who have had hormone related breast cancers but it doesn't appear to be clear cut .May be worth asking this in the Ask the Nurses section - I'm only repeating what I have read on Cancer Research Uk website .
Highlighted

Thanks Jill

I wonder why nobody's mentioned this to me then?  One of my lumps and most of the other was hormone dependent.  I've been given Letrozyl since September, currently on a break from it, but nobody has mentioned my mirena coil!  Think I'll be making some phone calls come Monday!!!

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Piii it's not recommended now for women with hormone dependent breast cancers - there is information on Cancer Research Uk website .
Highlighted

Sorry if this is a totally stupid question but I keep reading on here about women having the mirena coil removed, can I ask why is this?  I had mine inserted February 2015 and nobody has mentioned removing it.  Is there a risk factor I'm missing here?

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi all - I've done session 8/15 - feel absolutely fine - skin is a bit pink but not uncomfortable and my tiredness is bearable until I fall into bed!
Highlighted

5 days done, 10 to go. I don’t want to speak to soon and hope I continue to be the way I’ve been as I’ve been ok 😊😊 hope you’s are all doing ok too

Angela xx
Highlighted

Hi Momo like you I had my last run or the coil for 8 years and before my last daughter 7 years more. I had it removed end sept and this is my 3rd period each just as bad. I am changing super tampon plus incontinence pad every 30 mins just making me so weary and obviously having to get up all night as well just draining. Hopefully It won’t last as long this time last 2 8 days each. I have been on tamoxifen for 2 weeks now so hadn’t made a difference to me 😢 but happy face and get on with it xx
Highlighted

I have completed 11 days of rads, now, and have a slightly rosy breasy, with some extra rosiness underneath.  I have huge breasts.  Because I could get no definitive answer to any of my questions regarding creams and moisturisers for the breast I chose to use nothing, and have gone with a natural product to prevent friction and soothe the breast - cornflour.  This was recommended to me by ALL my friends in South Africa, who had breast cancer, and NONE of them had any complications. 

The advice we are given here has been somewhat contradictory: 

• Apply moisturiser, don't apply friction.  Hello?  I doin't know how to apply moisuriser without applying friction.
  • Take your bra off to help air the breast, but don't allow skin on skin contact.  Really?
  • Use E45 or diprobase or.... every recommendation is different... and then if they cause problems, try using nothing. 

So I decided to start with nothing except cornflour, and if I have problems then I'll try a cream.  It's cheaper, and less hassle.  I told the oncologist, and she was surprised, but was happy for me to continue.  Woman Happy

Cathy

Highlighted
Community Champion

Helen you should not apply the cream for up to 4 hours before the rads. Mine were always at about 9 am so I put it on before bed then took some with me to apply right after before I got dressed. Then again at lunch time and about 4 or 5 pm and lastly as I say before bed.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Xena the rads are a breeze compared to chemo!

As for bras I like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comfort-Stretch-Seamless-Support-Available/dp/B00BW6T87M/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8...

I used a cream called Biofine and it was great, this is it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biafine-271164-Emulsion-hydratante-186g/dp/B017NMJKL2/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UT...

If it is your left side they might ask you to hold your breath for 20 seconds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LAlMBDoUs

Highlighted

I had a Mirena coil which was removed before my rads started. Having not had a period for 13 years I know how you feel Ruth. It was incredibly heavy and I felt like **bleep**. But so far this month there is no sign of a period. It could be that my body is taking time to regulate? Started my Tamoxifen just a couple of days before that period and now over a month in. Could that have impacted my period?

Highlighted
Community Champion

Moan away Ruth - I certainly would be if mine decide to return - I haven't had anything since June so I have my fingers tightly crossed that those days are behind me!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Sy - I'm suffering hot flushes which started in chemo days plus I'm on herceptin injections which cause them - but I have noticed when I return to the changing room that my face is very flushed following rads session.
Highlighted

Thanks so much Helena xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Ruth

You moan away mate xxx I really feel for the ladies who are on it and pre menopausal xxxx

Sending you a squidgy hug xxxx

Highlighted

Feeling really down today stupid horrendous period started today really draining as so heavy. I have pcos and had a marina coil fitted for years and even knowing it could have been a factor in bc when I go through this I know why I had it in and don’t think tamoxifen is helping either. Cried when I could open a packet of tissues and doesn’t help looking 6 months pregnant. Have decided once this is all over and I am allow going to have a hysterectomy couldn’t cope like this for possibly another 8 years. Sorry for the moan xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Sy

They told me to drink at least 2 litres of fluid a day, it helps counter the dehydration effects from the rads and fatigue xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Sy

I did but I I dont know if it was the rads or the tamoxifen at the time, mind you I am still getting them so probably the tamoxifen xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Helen

My rads team told me not to apply any cream less than two hours before I was due to have a session that was all.  I used to take mine with me so that I could apply it immediately after when I was getting dressed. They also said to me about keeping it in the fridge as it helps to cool the breast down when you apply it at home.

Helena x

Highlighted

Jay aren’t they funny mine is stuck to me like glue and bless he is a big soppy thing at the best of time. Might even be the tamoxifen changing my hormone levels. Clever doggies 🐕
Highlighted

Pecan,

Thank you, I asked this morning and was told no it wouldn’t but I know once said diff at the start. It’s not as bad today but will keep an eye on it, last thing I was Is those lovely wee brown tablets. It’s maybe just a combo of a few things. How you keeping. xx
Highlighted

Good advice Sy, thanks x
Highlighted

Hi HelenP,

I am half way through my radiotherapy treatment, haven't been told to wash off the cream before treatments.

I a bit of advice, keep it in the fridge, it will help cool your skin down after the treatment sessions.