374367posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2017 Radiotherapy

Headandheart

Re: December 2017 Radiotherapy

Finished today! Thanks for the bells, Ladybowler. High five, Sister. Now serious resting time. 

I’m realising I can’t expect to be back to normal by the start of term in 8th Jan, so making plans for a phased return. And meanwhile plenty of rest. I overdid it on Saturday, going for a lovely walk in the sun in the morning, then a bit of a Christmas party (only till 10pm and one glass of fizz) and yesterday was so tired I couldn’t function and had to miss our Carol Service, which was sad. Ups and downs. I will take it very carefully from here on. 

Peace and healing to all and thanks so much for your support. 

pecan

Well, I'm 4 days post radiation, and I discovered a tiny blister on the skin below my breast today.  The pinkness is fading, but I confess to having some breast pain.  Started on the Paracetamol last night.

Cathy

sister

Last one done today thank goodness, skin seems to be holding up fine but I know treatment effects carry on for 10-14 days so I’m just keeping my fingers crossed. 

Looking forward to not having the 80 mile round trip everyday.

Good luck to everyone still having treatment. 

Julie

Hufflepuff

Almost there Jay!  Hope you enjoyed your walk, it was a beautiful day today xxx

Jay68
Community Champion

Day 14/15 done today!  Hooray another step closer to finishing.....

Had a review today too; they are all happy with me, my skin is showing some flushing but blooming can be expected 10/14 days following final rads.  Been given some sachets of Medihoney to start using from this evening together with usual E45 cream.  

Just about to embark on a nice walk out with the dog in the beautiful sunshine now - feeling extremely thankful for all I have and how I feel.  

Hope everyone elses rads have gone well today xx

Nuthatch

So true! Thank you
ladybowler
Community Champion

Nuthatch

That is the beauty of this forum, there is always someone who can put your minds at rest and ease the anxiety 🙂 🙂 xx

Nuthatch

Sounds like I needn’t have been alarmed about the four beams then! Thank you all for putting my mind at rest. Hope you can all enjoy your weekends. x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Mine was the same only I had 20 sessions, 15 regular and 5 boosters. 

For the 15 regular there was definitely 2 beams each side, it was my right breast, I had grade 1, tubular, 17mm no lymph node involvement xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

My breast cancer was about as run of the mill as they get grade 2 , IDC ,14 mm ,no lymphodes involved ,def got 4 blasts - 2 on each side- 15 days .
Justme41

Nuthatch,

Will do they phoned to changed my app on Monday from 8.15 to 9 as I’ve to get extra scans done. So think that will be my opportunity xx
Nuthatch

Ooh yes, let me know what you find out on Monday? X
Justme41

Nuthatch,

I think so, think I’m gonna have to ask on Monday. I would be a weirdo when it comes to medical stuff, not in a bad way but I’m inquisitive lol and like to know. Can’t believe I haven’t asked before now.

My lumpectomy was on the right side but the machine beeps and talks lol on both side of that breast

Angela xx
Nuthatch

Hi Angela
Are you having two beeps to one side then? I’m assuming now that beeps = buzzes = beams. And two beams per side is now seeming normal. X
Nuthatch

Well I’m making a fuss about nothing then! I was imagining all the effects were four times worse, but your replies have reassured me. Thanks all. Starting on 27/12. Reading about everyone else’s experiences has been brilliant preparation.
Justme41

Nuthatch,

I’m glad you asked as I assumed everyone knew what they were getting done but I didn’t. I’ve lay there for 10 days, the machine beeps, does a moving thing then it’s sounds like flies are being caught in an electric fly killer machine then they come and move it to the right side of my breast and it’s all repeated. I’ve not wanted to keep them back by asking as it seems like a tight schedule. So thank you

Angela xx
pecan

Oh well.... if the buzz buzz is the beam, then I had 6. 

Nuthatch

Thanks Jill. Maybe four beams is quite usual then and I was just catastrophising! Phew.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Remember the sound well 2.5 years on !! Beep ,beep ,machine moves, beep ,beep - that's me done!
Jill1998
Community Champion

I had 4 blasts -2 each side after lumpectomy .
Nuthatch

Thank you both!
Julie, that’s reassuring to know that four beams in total, to cover both sides, is normal. And also a comfort to know that rads + mastectomy is a better combination!
Cathy, seeing the planning images would be very interesting. I’ll get in touch with the hospital folks on Monday.
Such a brilliant support, this forum. Your feedback has been really helpful. Thank you
pecan

Hi Nuthatch,

I'm not sure how many beams they use, it's not anything I heard about.  I know while I was lying on the bed I heard it buzz 3 times from each direction.  There are funny plate things that move to direct the beams to the right area, and I confirmed that the British standard is to apply 40 Gray (the unit of measurement of radiation) in total.  Seeing the actual planning images will show you exactly where the beams go and what area it covers.  Very interesting.

sister

Hi Nuthatch 

I am having radiotherapy after lumpectomy and have 2 beams each time, I have had 14 of 15 (can’t wait for my last one on Monday)

11 years ago I had radiotherapy on the other side but it was to chest wall as I had had a mastectomy and it was 2 beams then so maybe it’s just 2 beams either side.

The radiotherapy after mastectomy was easier than lumpectomy as the tissue is not as tender, just make sure you moisturise frequently and hopefully you will be fine.

Good luck with your treatment. 

Julie

Nuthatch

Thank you Cathy! I had my planning meeting last week and the staff were all lovely and explained things clearly. I know it’s one beam from the front and one from the side x both sides, and I understand why. It was only afterwards, reading about other women’s experiences and talking to friends, that I realised that lots of people have a single beam and manage the effects by means of moisturiser and hydration. It’s whether four beams means four times the effects, and if I can do anything to prepare for that. Or maybe that’s not how it works! You’re right - I should try to speak to the planning team next week. Thank you for suggesting that!
pecan

Nuthatch, welcome to the forum.

I didn't have what you had, so can't help on that score.  I can tell you, however, that my anxiety led to me having a discussion with the Planning team (after discussing it with several other people less qualified) and I was shown the images that they used to plan my radiation, as well as the area covered, etc.  It was the only thing that settled me - it helped me understand it a whole lot better and reduced my anxiety.  I suggest you do that.  It's so easy to feel as if it's one size fits all from the way people talk, but it really is planned to your specifications.

Also - somewhat gratifying, is that with my need to see the images and plans, the whole plan was double-checked by another radiologist. 

Good luck.

Cathy

Nuthatch

Hello - first time posting!
I’m due to start radiotherapy soon, having had a double mastectomy and ANL in October. I know I’m to drink lots, and eat protein, and rest. But I’m worried about the amount of radiotherapy. It’s 15 sessions which seems pretty normal. But I’m having four beams each time, and people I’ve spoken to all seem to have had just one, around the margins of lumpectomies. I’m wondering if there’s anyone here who can reassure me? I need to have my whole chest wall done - and I’d practised the deep inhalations but now find out that I don’t do that because of ?not being able to maintain it for the duration of four beams and needing to be in a single position throughout. So I’m worried about my heart and lungs too. Don’t mean to be a moaner! But has anyone else had the same treatment? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks all, for reading. X
ladybowler
Community Champion

Headandheart

I think you have had your final rads session today so ringing the bells for you tonight.  Hope you are doing something nice to celebrate xxx

bell.jpg

Ruth.J

Hi all hope everyone is good. Blood tests have all come back normal so thinking just exhaustion. To add to that left home at 8am today for rads took 2 3/4 hours instead of 45 mins got back home 1.15pm been at docs with little one who has had a cold all week now in her chest. I can feel it in my nose just want to crawl into bed and get up on Monday. But my in laws coming tomorrow (obviously not invited) but we’ll they are coming regardless so no rest tomorrow. Have a fab weekend everyone xxx
Justme41

Jay - They also suggested I stopped wearing my wired bra and went to sports, finally purchased one yesterday. I’m using diprobase but was looking at the udderly cream, might invest in that. I have dodgy dry sensitive skin anyway lol. This time next week you’ll be 3 days done and I’ll be finished 😊 xx
Jay68
Community Champion

Angela - good idea - it was day 10 onwards that my skin started to show pinkness. I'm also increased my moisturing - I take the bottle of E45 and apply straight after rads in the changing room. Mine has improved! I've just done day 13.... 2 more to go....!
Justme41

Day 10 done, moisturising upped to 4 times a day due to some pinkness.

Hope everyone is doing ok

Angela xx
Jay68
Community Champion

Number 12/15 done today.  I went bra less today and so far the pinkness doesn't seem so bad!  I did put a little utterly smooth (with urea) on early this morning - I wonder if it's a miracle cream for rads as well as chemo skin?! 

Ruth.J

Thanks everyone I feel a lot better than yesterday still not right. Don’t have radio until 5pm today then oncologist appt after so hopefully rest today then ok and just tomorrow and the weekend to rest xx
Hufflepuff

Morning Everyone,

Isaiah43,

You sound well prepared so I'm sure you'll be okay.  I'm rubbish at drinking enough usually, so have made sure I have a water bottle close to hand at all times!  I know what you mean, you recover from surgery and now you have to go through more. Rads will go quickly now that you have started and if you follow Helena"s advice, it should be straightforward. Best wishes to you xx

Ruth,

Hope you are feeling better today xx

One glass of bubbly and I slept like a log last night for the first time in months! xxx

Justme41

Ruth, hope you’re feeling better today than yesterday.

Angela xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Isaiah

Just think of the rads as the belts and brace of your treatment and once it is finished that is active treatment finished for you.

Like every part of our journey with breasy cancer it is fear of the unknown but once we start on the next phase, and this is the last part, it becomes easier.

It is important to ensure that you drink plenty of fluid whilst you are having rads as it helps counter the potential dehydration effects of the rads

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Hufflepuff

So glad that you have celebrated in style tonight, got to do champers xxx

Thank you so much for your lovely words, I am glad that I have in some way been able to help, to me it is giving back some of the support and help I had when I first started posting on here last November

Have a wonderful Christmas and all the very best for 2018

Helena xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Ruth

Oh my friend I hope are feel better tomorrow xxx

Headandheart

Isaiah43 You’re prepared as much as poss, and just have to go with it. It’s not fun to know you are going to feel worse, but I have to keep reminding myself that it’s worth it. I was quite scared of the machine to start with but I renamed my treatments ‘healing light therapy’ which felt better. I had a song in my head which really helped too, based on ps27. You have clearly chosen your passage, and it’s a good one to hold on to - when you walk through the fires you will not be burnt! Shalom.
Justme41

Hufflepuff,

Well done and congratulations, enjoy your children’s birthdyas and hope you have a good Christmas xx
Mishy18

Congrats hufflepuff you enjoy your celebrations 🔔
Isaiah43

My first day tomorrow, finishing on 8th January. To be honest it feels a bit mad to be subjecting myself to more treatment when I now feel recovered after the surgery. I feel normal and will be not normal again. It's also hard for the family.  More of the unknown I guess. I am am rubbish at drinking water, but I got a sports bottle and will try and have it with me all the time so I drink more. Got a massive tub of E45 ready. Onwards and upwards! Here goes! Good evening all.

Hufflepuff

Thank you everyone for your kind messages. Have just been to watch my daughter's end of term dance class. Now having a little celebratory glass of bubbly with my husband.

Ruth, I hope you are feeling okay.

Helena, Thank you so much for all of your wonderful advice and support, ever since I first posted.  You are so kind, and you help so many ladies here. I don't know where we'd be without you!

Have a lovely Christmas everyone and best wishes for 2018 xxx

Mishy18

Jay hope you're skin doesn't get too bad im keeping everything crossed mine doesn't play up!
Ruth hope you are feeling better soon x
Ruth.J

Hi all
Just back from gp’s legs went all wobbly and I couldn’t move knees were shaking and then my arms felt all wobbly. Checked my blood sugar blood pressure which are both ok taken blood tests to check hot anemia, I already have folic acid anemia so have to take it everyday. I’m not dehydrated as today I’ve gone through 7 bottles of Evian plus fresh juice. Have my oncologist appt tomorrow so hopefully all ok. Just feel completely drained. Xx
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Ladies - day 11/15 for me today and the radiologist noticed my skin's not liking them too much now!

It's a bit pinker - not sore thankfully as it's the area where I've had surgery and as a result is now quite numb!  She asked if I had a review this week but I don't until Monday - she didn't add anything to that so hopefully and I have my fingers crossed - it's going to be OK until my review where they may prescribe a better cream to use - currently using E45.

Jay68
Community Champion

Well done Hufflepuff - all done and dusted!

Now you can concentrate on Christmas and Birthdays and just having a good time.

I've just got 4 more to go....!

lots of love xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Salimali

THere is some very good advise on here from the lovely ladies.

It is fear of the unknown and once you get the first one under your belt, which tends to be the longest as they check all the measurements again, you will be fine.

Yep drink plenty of fluids, they recommend at least 2 litres a day, but obviously as Jill said watch where coffee etc is concerned as it is a diuretic.

I worked throughout my rads but only on very reduced hours and carried on the reduced hours for a month after I finished, however I do not do a stressful/manual job so it was easy for me.

Have a wonderful Christmas and if there is anything else you need to know just post on here and we will help you.

Helena xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Hufflepuff

oooh I have been waiting to do this all week xx

Yay you have done it, well done and now time to relax because active treatment is finished for you, and we are ringing the bells for you today xxxx

Remember that you will still be having the effects of the rads for the next two weeks so keep up your regime and if you are worried at all give your rads team a call, they will be able to help with any concerns you have.

Hope you are doing something nice to celebrate. 

It is a good idea when you go back to reduce work pattern.  I was lucky I was able to do reduced hours throughout my rads and for 4 weeks after which really helped, mind you I only do 25 a week anyway 🙂

Sending you loads of hugs and have a wonderful Christmas.

Helena xxx

bell.jpg

Ruth.J

Congratulations Hufflepuff take your time and enjoy birthdays, Christmas and New Year xx