cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2017 Radiotherapy

Justme41

Re: December 2017 Radiotherapy

Hufflepuff,

Thank you, Its Been one weird day! Yeah they were all lovely and couldn’t have been more helpful. Hope you’re keeping well and get to have a fab Christmas and new year!

Angela xx
Hufflepuff

Congratulations Angela, you've done it! I felt a little emotional at my last session, I think because the staff were so lovely and it's a strange feeling that treatment has come to an end.

Have a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for 2018 xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Angela

I know exactly what you mean, there was one day I was feeling really sorry for myself, then a little one was wheeled in for rads and it just made sit back and realise just how lucky I was.

Enjoy your celebrations you so deserve it xxxxx

Justme41

Ruth - thank you and back at you with the fab Christmas and a happy new year!

Nuthatch - Thank you and hope all goes well with your treatment, it’ll be over before you know it. Mine has actually flown in. Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Angela xx
Justme41

Helena,

Thank you for all your support and kind words, I didn’t ring the bell in the hospital today, I just couldn’t. There was another little boy in for treatment it just seemed wrong to me. However yours are ringing loudly in my wee head lol 😘😘 so thank you. I’ll be celebrating later 🥂 merry Christmas and a happy new year

Angela xx

Nuthatch

Angela
Very best wishes and positive vibes to you. Congratulations and happy new year! X
Ruth.J

Congratulations Angela well done take it easy and have a fab Christmas and New Year xxx
Jay68
Community Champion

Thanks ladies - I'm pleased to report that last night was much better - I really did drink over 2 litres of water yesterday plus normal tea, juices etc so it could well have been not enough water that made me feel slightly nauseous the night before.

Today, I'm feeling as though my period is trying to return - after 6 months without one (due to chemo etc) I'm really hoping not but it's a feeling I still remember.......  fingers crossed it's just hormones and it will all just settle down!

Good luck to all ladies having rads today - another step closer to that finishing line..... x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Angela

Whey hey thats it over well done you got there, no more active treatment. 

I know when I walked back to my car after my last one I just burst into tears, I think it was just the realisation that I had got there xxx

Ringing the bells for you mate, have a wonderful Christmas and a fab 2018, but remember that you will still be feeling the effects of the rads for a couple of weeks so keep up your regime and make sure that you take in plenty of fluid.

So happy for you and hope you are going to do something really nice to celebrate.

Helena xxxx

bell.jpg

Justme41

Day 15/15 done 😊😊 had tiny tears in my eyes during my session and feel a bit weird. Not sure whether to scream with excitement or cry with relief lol.

Angela xx
Ruth.J

Jay. I don’t have the sickness but when I haven’t drank while I’m sleeping waking up with horrendous headaches so it’s now 5am and I’ve had bottle of water pint glass of orange juice and a cup of tea and my head is settling. I’m guessing as I have been for a wee so much before I sleep nothing left by the time I wake up lol 😂
Ruth.J

Angela

I’m a muppet lol 😂 good luck today xxx
Mishy18

Jay i felt nausea on first one at night they said i might not have kept hydrated enough as sickness wasn't a SE but if you didn't drink enough water you could feel a bit nausea as the cells breaking down needed to be flushed out
Dont know what they meant but upped my water intake and it seemed to settle after 1st 2 sessions might have been nerves?
Im feeling tired tonight haven't done loads but feeling it, mind after chemo i was tired so it might be cumulative from the treatment x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jay

I have a water bottle on the bedside table which when I wake and have a dry mouth I take a swig and swish the water round my mouth before I swallow it, seems to work.

Perhaps you need to rest a bit more as well.  Just mention it to the team tomorrow they might be able to suggest something

xxxx

Jay68
Community Champion

I'm suffering a very dry mouth and slight nausea - I'm drinking loads - which could account for the nausea but my mouth at times still feels dry!  

However, nausea was particularly bad during the night when I woke up - could it just be excitement of Christmas and anxiety at finishing active treatment? 

Any advice extemely appreciated. x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Angela

Thats great having that support will be invaluable xx

I must admit occ health didnt want me to work at all during and for 4 weeks after but I would have gone stir crazy as I had already had 6 weeks off after my op.  I dont do a stressful job which makes it a lot easier.

It is really good that you have counselling, I had 6 sessions this time last year and it was so beneficial xxx

Justme41

Helena,

I only work 25 hours a week but think I mentioned my boss and how she behaved before I went off. I think I’d have ended up being stressed and my asthma would have kicked off so doc signed me off. She’s actually part of the reason I’ve been referred for counselling. I admire you for working right the way through. Had welfare meeting for work the other day and she is going to put something in place when the time comes xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Angela

I was fortunate I was able to continue working throughout my rads and for a month afterwards, but then I only work part time anyway and they would only allow me to do 12 hours a week. 

Make sure that you have a proper phased return to work when you do return though xxx

Justme41

Helena,

I feel like I have been off work for ages but my sick only started on the day of my op (30/10/17) and as pointed out to me yesterday, it’s not even two months yet. I totally get the time thing.

Angela xx
Justme41

Ruth,

Tomorrow is my last one lol. Other half had a pasty supper last night for dinner, he likes the really pink ones I’m not so keen lol. Ill celebrate tomorrow night 😊

Angela xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Angela

Thats sound about right its amazing how it takes it out of you in ways that you would not imagine. 

I remember feeling that way because you just know that wonderful day is around the corner.  I started rads a year ago yesterday, it seems like a lifetime away now 🙂

Helena xxx

Ruth.J

Well glad it’s all over. I know what you mean about Christmas dreading the thought of grocery shopping might try tomorrow evening instead of Saturday. I have treatment on Saturday so it would be the middle of the day before I could go. So pleased your done put your feet up and relax and have a pasty for me 😂😜😘. Until you have been to Northern Ireland you haven’t had a pasty!!! All the best for Christmas and New Year xxx
Justme41

Ruth,

I’ve been grand except for a bit itchy, I’m wrecked today but this Christmas stuff is getting in the way. Saw doctor today, going by what I told him he didn’t even examine me. Said I was ok and seemed to have taken it well. How are you?

Helena,
Have started to feel a bit emotional this afternoon but I’ve overdone it today so could be that

Angela xx
Mishy18

Wow Jay you made me cry, i know exactly how you feel as i was in the same place as you in the summer started my journey a little later than you so not finished my rads till 9th Jan its like a long advent calendar but had no 10 today so halfway through then thats it.... Over no more treatments for me no pills nothing.... Don't know how it will feel till the day arrives but i totally echo you Jay, have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy and happy new year 💖 to us all xxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Angela

Oh those bells are going to be ringing very loud for you tomorrow xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Jay

What an amazing post and something that the ladies coming after you can take heart from in that there really is a light at the end of the tunnel even on our darkest days.

Sending you much love and happiness for Christmas and 2018

Helena xxx

Ruth.J

Angela

Only one more day to go hope you are feeling well

Ruth xx
Justme41

Day 14/15 oh it’s so close 😊 didn’t think I’d feel this excited but I’m glad I do

Angela xx
Jay68
Community Champion

and just to add - yes I did celebrate with my Hubby over lunch - a delicious Hummous and roasted veg wrap with a cup of peppermint tea!  Oh the high days!  

Spent the evening in the company of my sister at my son's secondary school, feeling extremely festive listening and singing along to their Festive Concert - a true delight. x

Jay68
Community Champion

Thank you Helena - I've seen and heard these bells this morning!  

Yesterday was the day of my dreams - let me explain and imagine this picture, it was a beautiful day back in the summer when I was suffering from a particularly bad post chemo day - the sun belting down - everywhere looking gorgeous - everywhere and everyone - except me!  I was laying there under a parasol in the shade, wearing factor 50+ suncream, black nail varnish, bald but with a sunhat and shades on and a full length sarong - to be honest I really was feeling sorry for myself!  However, I took a long hard breath and wished silently "this is rubbish but if there's any justice - please let all my active treatment be over by Christmas".  Several months have passed, chemo finished, left mx and complete node removal done and then the 15 sessions of rads ..... hooray!  All done - YES my wish (my dream) came true.  It just goes to show if you believe in something hard enough it can happen......  I will end right there.

All it does leave me to do is I hope all you other ladies a completely painfree time of rads - they'll be over very soon and in the meantime  I really do wish a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY and more importantly HEALTHY New Year to one and all.   Much love Jay68 xxxx

Hufflepuff

Jay,

Congratulations on finishing yesterday! Have a lovely Christmas xxx

Justme41

Jay,

Last day today and think you might be celebrating with hubby, how you feeling?

Angela xx
Justme41

Nuthatch,

No worries the girl yesterday was lovely and quite happy to answer that I was asking. Yeah I’m glad I finish on Friday and will celebrate kinda that night lol. Tomorrow I have radio at 8.15, welfare app (work) at 10 for 1 hour then back at hospital for doc at 3.30. Hosp is only a half hour from me in decent traffic so it’s not too bad. I don’t want to scud myself but I’ve been ok so far I’m going to bed about ten 10 and up at 6.30 but don’t seem to be getting the fatigue (yet) that I see people talk of. Today I had radio then reflexology then a counselling session with Macmillan then did some Christmas shopping with partner and still ok. I just have to make sure I moisturise and drink loads.

You’re not too bad then being that close, as soon as I come out I drink a good bit straight away maybe close to a ltr of weak diluted juice.

Angela xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jay

Woo hoo, thats it rads all finished and I hope you have enjoyed your lunch today.

Have a wonderful Christmas and we are ringing the bells for you this evening xxxx

bell.jpg

Helena xxx

Nuthatch

Hi Angela

Thanks for finding out about the beams! Four sounds quite normal then, phew. Lovely to be finished pre-Christmas. But you have a v long wait between your appointments tomorrow? Is the hospital far from you? Hope all goes well with the doctor’s check-up. Are you very tired, at the end of your treatments?

I’m not starting mine till 27/12, so at the moment I’m just practising drinking lots of water! I’m only a 15 minute walk away from the hospital which I realise is very very lucky. Must see if I can find some other ladies who are starting after Boxing Day. I suspect there might be a batch of us who’ve been delayed rather than starting and stopping over Christmas. Anyone else out there?

X
Justme41

Nuthatch,

They put me in what they called the simulator, said it might have been something as simple as my breathing as they were taking 2mm. I have asthma so I’ve to make sure my breathing is settled before they start. I’ll finish on Friday and that’s me, was told today I’ve a check up with doctor tomorrow at 3.30 though my radio is 8.15. Don’t mind as I’ve not seen One from the start. I made a point of asking, I’m getting four beams. How you keeping

Angela xx
Ruth.J

Hi all

Half way through today 10/20 skin is all okay except for nipple which is about 3 times the size of the other one. No rash no itching just very hot and nipple so tender they have given me pads to put in my bra to stop it rubbing which is helping. Hope everyone is doing well.

Ruth xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Good luck with your last one Jay -big milestone !!!
Jay68
Community Champion

Well done to all those who have finished with their active treatment.  Keep up with the water and the cream!

Good luck for those on rads today!  

I am on my last one - hip hip hooray 15/15 will be done at 12 o'clock - then I'm out for a mini celebratory lunch with my Husband - end of active treatment? - not quite, still having 3 weekly injections of Herceptin until June at least.

Jay x

Nuthatch

Hi Angela

Does that mean you have to be CT scanned again - to check your measurements? With that going on, don’t suppose you had a chance to discuss number of beams! Hope your seesions aren’t being delayed. Will you have to have a break over Christmas? X
Justme41

Day 11 today, had to get my measurements checked today, they thought they needed re done again. Apparently it might be to do with my breathing so they’ve to let me settle it before they start. Still just a bit itchy and nipple maybe a bit red.

Angela xx
Justme41

Jay, yeyyyyy 1 more day to go 😊 glad you’re still feeling ok.

Julie, Cathy and handandheart - I’m sure you’s are glad it’s all done and hope you all continue to keep well.

Angela xx
Hufflepuff

Congratulations HeadandHeart and Julie. Are you doing something nice to celebrate? Definitely take things easy, especially with all the Christmas festivities going on. I finished last Wednesday and the fatigue is definitely kicking in. My skin has become redder and more sore over the past couple of days too. All to be expected. A phased return to work is definitely the way to go, when you are up to returning xx

Hope you feel better soon Ruth xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Julie

I had my op on 13 October last year and finished rads on 19 January this year, it was mainly because I had mine over christmas which extended the time and I had 20 sessions in total.

No one is a fraud in this journey, no matter how little or much we go through with our treatment, we still have had the diagnosis and gone through treatment xxx

sister

Thanks for the bells Helena although I feel a bit of a fraud, I only had my lumpectomy on 30th October and have now finished treatment.

I really feel for the ladies who have had chemo too it’s such a long haul. 

Wishing everyone one a fabulous Christmas and please accept the help offered, don’t be stubborn like I was last time (cooking Christmas dinner with 2 drains in a bag over my shoulder adamant I could do it) it wore me out so accept the help. 

Merry Christmas 🎁🎁

Julie

ladybowler
Community Champion

Cathy

Hopefully it will not come to much but just keep an eye on it and ring your bcn if you are concerned

Sound about right the discomfort but it should get easier as the days go on

Helena xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Sister

Woo hoo, thats it all over active treatment finished, ringing the bells for you tonight.

Oh I am sure you will miss that 80 mile round trip, not!!!

Remember to keep your regime up for the next couple of weeks as you will still be feeling the effects of the rads.

Have a wonderful Christmas

Helena xxx

bell.jpg

Ruth.J

Hi all

Got my blood tests back Friday evening but I knew the answer Friday morning I have flu even my teeth hurt. Just staying in bed resting and going to treatment was want to carry on and finish as planned. Xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Headandheart

Oops I must have put a 5 instead of an 8, well you got them early. 

Oh absolutely you need to do a phased return and remember to keep up your regime, getting plenty of rest too, your body will def let you know when its had enough, but honestly it does get better.  I am 11 months post rads and only occasionally get fatigue which is generally when I have not taken enough fluids in during the day, silly me you would think I would have learned by now 🙂

Have a wonderful Christmas

Helena xxx

Ruth.J

Well done everyone who has finished in the last few days sorry I missed it so pleased for you all. Have a wonderful Christmas and great 2018. Ruth xx