cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declining radiotherapy?

2 REPLIES 2
Martina

Re: Declining radiotherapy?

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I'm worried in particular about scarring to the lung tissue because I have a prior history of sarcoidosis with nodules in the lungs. I will need to understand the recurrence risk much better before I feel able to make an informed decision.

Kitkat23

Re: Declining radiotherapy?

Hi Martina

Are you worried about any side effects in particular? I was worried too but went ahead and didn’t have any side effects at all....although obviously there are risks to radiation exposure.  

i have had breast cancer previously( 3 times now) ...first time was non invasive DCIS, very small 4mm ....clear margins, I was told I didn’t need radiotherapy.... because only a 2% chance of recurrence....but 5 years later it was back.... I never look at percentages now because they are all about a cohort of people not about you the individual....I decided to take whatever was on offer to reduce my own risk as much as possible as I personally need to know I have done very thing I can....but I know we are all very different....if you’ve talked it over with your team and weighed up the risks/benefits and are happy to make an informed decision to decline then that’s fine too.

Take good care.

Martina

Declining radiotherapy?

After a lumpectomy with good histology results (negative margins, no lymphovascular invasion), I'm recommended radiotherapy to reduce the risk of recurrence from 20% to 1-2% - I have massive concerns about the side effects and have not given consent. Does anyone have any experience - positive or negative- of deciding against radiotherapy please?