Delayed radiation

Just wondering how long people have waited for their radiation therapy? After being diagnosed and the speed of 2 operations it feels like treatment has slowed now. I met the radiologist last week and signed the consent forms after which he informed me that the radiation could be a few weeks yet, as they are so busy, and would not commit to whether before or after Xmas? 

I had surgery on 13 September, saw the oncologist on 17 October (5 weeks later), had the radiotherapy planning on 1 November (2 weeks later) and started rads 21 November (3 weeks after that).  So started it 10 weeks after surgery.  

I’m in London where there is a backlog in treatments but they seem to have got round this by sending me to five different hospitals for different elements of treatment which includes having 4 out of 5 rads sessions at one hospital and the 5th and final session at another.  Shame hospitals don’t do air miles! 

Hi,

I had surgery on 19th September, saw the surgeon again on the 6th and 11th October when I was given the post surgery pathology results and told I would need radiotherapy which would be at a different hospital.

I saw the oncologist on 7th November and then had the planning appointment for radiotherapy on 17th November. I will begin the 15 sessions of radiotherapy on 19th December so exactly three months after surgery. I was hoping to have it all done by Christmas but now it will drag on until mid January because of breaks for the Christmas and New Year bank holidays. I won’t find out exactly when all my sessions are until the first session when they will give me a list of appointments. I was told that the gap of a few weeks between planning appointment and starting radiotherapy is partly because they are very busy but also because it takes a while for the treatment team to carefully plan the radiotherapy to make sure it is perfectly tailored to the needs of the patient, it has to be as precise as they can make it.

I’ve been told I have to wait 4 months for radiotherapy. 4 months!!! I was advised to go private if I wanted it done sooner. £10,000.

I’ve been told I have to wait 4 months for radiotherapy. 4 months!!! I was advised to go private if I wanted it done sooner. £10,000.