Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did your breast shrink?

34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted

Re: Did your breast shrink?

Hi Judy

I am a fellow DCIS sufferer too for which I had a mastectomy and reconstruction at the end of last year - no radiotherapy.  Last Thursday, I had my first fat grafting session in order to correct my asymmetry which like yours, is about a cup size different.  My surgery was done as a day case and whilst I was waiting, I started chatting to a lovely lady who was going to surgery after me.  She had had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy 12 years ago.  Just like you, she had become lopsided over the years which had distressed her enough to go to her GP to see if something could now be done about it.  She had been referred on the NHS to see my consultant who was going to do a lift on her good side.  Have you tried your GP to ask for a referral?  I know the NHS doesn’t always act as one and different rules seem to apply between areas at times but it might be worth a try.

Sending you some virtual hugs.  I do have an appreciation of what it is like and moreover, it’s a constant reminder of what we have been through.

Ezzie 💐

Highlighted

I was diagnosed with DCIS (stage 0) in 2006.  According to the pathology report, the tumour was barely millimetres in size.  NO ONE told me there would be breast shrinkage after radiation. I had perfectly symmetrical breasts before radiation. The untreated breast is now D-cup due to age and weight gain while the treated breast is barely a C-cup. Why was I not informed beforehand?  I NOW cannot get a bra to fit. I am very sorry I had radiation. I guess to male doctors this is not a big enough side effect to mention.

Highlighted

Thank you, that helps a lot, got my apt to book in surgery in 10 days time, hope they have some slots soon for the surgery xx

Highlighted

Hi tibetone and all,
I am one year post initial surgery , 6 months post rads, and 1 month post symmetrisation surgery. Am on anastrazole, of which i had read weight gain can be an issue. 12 weeks of slimming world later i declared my ideal weight with my bmi around 24 as my treated breast was starting to have some lumpiness become more prominent.
My surgeon offered me bilateral reduction style breast surgery for the initial operation, or the delayed matching as the side needing treatment may need further surgery or change shape due to radiotherapy.
I did need SNB after first op, but no further remodelling of treated breast.
Delighted now to have been matched, found the year of odd less troubling as it progressed but was acutely aware at first.
Have found M&S do some post op bras... ordered and paid for mine online, collected from local store, where i promptly tried them on. Very soft over my upside down T shaped scars, and have pockets for protheses. After a year of sports bras loving the softness and more feminine look.
Good luck with your decisions ... hope the above helps.
Loving the Tate Modern Fuffs x x
One happy LL x x

Highlighted

Hello

Sorry we're all going through this.

I've a few questions and wondered if anyone can help?

I've high grade DCIS and was due to have bilateral MX last week and tissue expanders but after nightmare with surgeon, I cancelled the operation, very long story.

New consultant suggests therapeutic double mammoplasty which will reduce the area plus radiootherapy.

Is it best to wait till after radiotherapy to reduce the unaffected side? Or have them both done and see what happens?

Also can they operate again on the radiotherapied boob to even things up if necessary?

Sorry mind in a whirl, just got used to double mx idea xx

Highlighted

Just had a bit of a lightbulb moment as I surveyed the state of my lopsided boobs so thought I'd share.  I remember reading that irradiated boobs don't change shape/size with age or weight gain in the same way that normal ones do, which means that the irradiated one will always look pretty much the size/shape it was post-surgery.  So....my lightbulb moment today was the realisation that the reason I look lopsided is nothing to do with radiation shrinkage, but that I'm a stone heavier than I was post-surgery (dang that pesky cake with its siren call!) so my good boob has got fat Woman LOL  Right, back to the diet it is then...and I hope I don't get any radiation shrinkage or I'm going to have to go on starvation rations to keep my boobs symmetrical!

xxx

Sharon

Highlighted

Crikey. i'm an H cup, so expecting mine to be the incredible shrinking boob! Already looks a bit mangled and another op to come! Probably be able to exhibit it at Tate Modern, as a piece of art by the end of treatment, lol. Xx
Highlighted

Re: Did your breast shrink?h

Agree, prefer to know!

Highlighted

During recent follow up asked radio oncologist how long shrinkage could go on for and was told up to a year.....not instantaneously!
Seabreeze
Highlighted

Thank you for this information, I prefer to know, and no one had mentioned this to me. I am very sorry to hear that you are going through.
Highlighted

I should be ok then! Wasn't that big to start with, and poor leftie is a shadow of her former self! xxx

Highlighted

I thought I should just add a little update to this in case anyone else has the same question.  Having done a bit of research it seems that about 30% of us will get some shrinkage as a result of radiation but only 10% of us will get it to a significant degree and it tends to be those of us with larger breasts who are most affected (not surprising really I suppose)

xx

Sharon

Highlighted

I'll be around as will still need support

Berylx

Highlighted

Please do stop by to say hello now and again Beryl, we'll miss you and be keen to hear how you are getting on.  Hopefully your healing will be straightforward from now on and you'll be our source of wisdom on how to get your life back together after the dreaded 'C' 🙂

Take care

xx

Sharon

Highlighted

good idea - just hope we remember.
Will miss the support very much
B
Highlighted

Thanks Beryl and wishing you all the best as well, I,hope your healing is continuing in the right direction and you are settling with the 'drugs'. Love and hugs and perhaps in May/June at our 6 month anniversary we can do a new post and catch up with all the #novdecjan lovely ladies x x x x
Highlighted

Hi thee

I have just come on here to wish all the buddies I have 'met' from the November/December diagnosed threads all the best as you continue your journeys.

I do not need to join you but will be sending positive thoughts and hugs to you all.

Perhaps we will meet up on the Living with BC thread 

All the best

Beryl xx

Highlighted

Thanks Lexilou, much as I hate the thought of more surgery, if I do end up very lopsided I think I will have the other one reduced to match but I guess I'll just have to wait and see how I end up. Good luck with your surgery, hope it works out well and let us know how you get on.

xx

Sharon

Highlighted

Hi Sharon,
Following WLE, SNB and rads last year i am due to have symmetrisation surgery next month. Personally will be pleased to feel well supported again in the bra dept. As nothing is quite workung atm
Good luck with the rads x x
Highlighted

Hi!

I was told there's be shrinkage following rads, and after my 2 clearance ops I'm decidedly lopsided already. I was told I could have symmetry surgery in a year, but whether this would involve reducing one or increasing the other, I don't know.However, at this stage I'm not bothered about symmetry, and the thought of more surgery disturbing healthy tissue is a no go. Plus I'm sure my surgeon's time and expertise is far better used in saving lives than making me feel better about myself. I might change my mind later, who knows?

Love, Rose

Highlighted

Sorry to hear that.
I've had some shrinkage, (had WLE plus re excision of margins, some mild lymphoedema and painful tendons but that's all apart from 8 week delay in radiotherapy etc, but not what you have
Lots of hugs
Atat
Highlighted

Hi Atat , angiosarcoma is an aggressive cancer of the blood and lymph vessels , in my case caused by the radiotherapy treatment I received for my breast cancer in 2009 . It is very rare and only 1% of folks go on to develop it . Treatment is radical mastectomy to remove the breast and chest muscle , which I had on 13th January 2015 .
Just wish I had known more about the risk and what symptoms to watch out for . I know there is no guarantee with any treatment , but information could be made available to help with choices .
Hugs, Jill xx

Highlighted

What is angio sarcoma?
Highlighted

So sorry to hear you have Sarcoma now Jill - I feel for you.

This is exactly the reason I am unsure about radiotherapy, which is the next step in my treatment. I am not worried about short term side effects, but the long term serious ones are not always mentioned, or we are told there is a very small chance - but when that is you.......

Can totally underxtand you are angry

Take care   Sue

Highlighted

Hi Seabreeze ,
My Radiotherapy Consultant told me that changes to the skin and tissue would go on for at least a year after I finished the treatment and it was definitely round about the year mark , maybe a while longer when I started to realise that my boob had changed shape permanently !! I know that sounds a bit vague but it sort of crept up on me !!

After my WLE they found cancer had spread to my sentinel node , so had to have axillary clearance . This caused a seroma , which was drained once before chemo , but not again because of worry about infection .Sadly it went on to cause lymphoedema of the breast ...but not my arm , thank goodness . I had a lot of pain and swelling due to the lymphoedema before I started radiotherapy , and was told radiotherapy would make it worse ....but no one suggested that I shouldn't have it !!

I ended up with a very pert smaller left breast ( would have given Marilyn Monroe a run for her money ) but sadly a saggy old right one , gone south with gravity !!

The worst thing being that 5 years later I have been diagnosed with angiosarcoma , and had to have a mastectomy 4 weeks ago . I should be grateful I have had 5 years , but am rather devastated and angry !!
Hugs , Jill x

Highlighted

Hi
Question for Lavendersblue, if you don't mind sharing...over roughly what duration of time after end of radio would you say shrinkage occurred?

Gerbera - I'm quite lopsided following op...difficult to say whether radio has caused further shrinkage since was swollen for fair time in area of boosters.
I'm trying prosthesis but yet to find one which works for me...I find my skin gets ridges in it, goes pink and feels itchy and uncomfortable....following up since one fitter reckons I may be allergic to silicone! Argh!

Hence while I don't really want to contemplate a reduction...going around with one e-ish and one g isn't the best (though agree its amazing what a loose top covers), necklines pull etc...and can cause strain re out of balance with back, so not totally ruling out a review at some point.

Does anyone know how long after radio risk of shrinkage stops?

Seabreeze
Highlighted

Thanks ladies, I think I'll stop worrying about it for now and see how it looks when I get to the end of radiotherapy in April. I imagine they would operate on the 'good' boob if I needed/wanted it but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens (sooooooo not loving this being out of control of my own body!)

xx

Sharon

Highlighted

I was never offered a reduction Sharon , although the consultant did comment that " Treatment hadn't been kind to me " !!! To be honest I didn't want any more surgery , as I was so poorly after my two anaesthetics ( WLE & axillary clearance ) so never pushed , but am sure they would have done it if I had requested it .
My personal cancer journey has been fraught with difficulties, but we all seem to have different reactions .
Hugs,
Jill x

Highlighted

Blimey! If I shrink I will disappear - only B cup to start with. At the moment I am swollen though after surgery. Talk about ups and downs eh?? xx
Highlighted

I'm an E cup (on a good day) and have found that my treated breast is a slightly different shape to the other one (not really noticeable under clothes) but am not aware of any change in overall size.

Highlighted

Thanks Lavendersblue, that's exactly what I'm worried about and I doubt I'll be able to cope with it nearly well as you.  Were you ever offered the opportunity of having the non-treated boob reduced to match?

xx

Sharon

Highlighted

Sorry to say my left boob shrank by half after radiotherapy , but it happened slowly over a period of time ,after the treatment finished . It was as if I carried on cooking !! It shrank so much , I was given a shell prosthesis to fill my bra cup out . However I found that I rarely wore it , just went with the lopsided effect . I managed to disguise it most of the time , with loose blouses and scarves .
Hugs, Jill x

Highlighted

Thanks Chascat, that's reassuring 🙂

Highlighted

Hi Sharon, my breast swelled up after radiotherapy, I'm about a cup size bigger now on the treated side. My onc told me the swelling would go down and my breast would probably shrink, it never has. More than 2 years later and it's still exactly the same. Hope this helps x

Highlighted

Did your breast shrink?

Hi ladies, of all the stupid things to worry about, the one that is causing me a bit of concern at the moment is being told that radiotherapy might shrink my boob (yep, I'm THAT vain!)  I'm a G cup so it's not as if I can't afford some shrinkage I suppose, but now that I'm almost 4 weeks post surgery and the swelling is going down, I can see that the treated boob is already noticeably smaller than the other one so am worrying about being totally lopsided once the rads are underway/done.

Did any of you get shrinkage and if you did, was it much?

xx

Sharon