Did you mean: 

February 2018 Radiotherapy

670 REPLIES 670

Re: February 2018 Radiotherapy

Thank you so much Shi!! Hope all is ok for you too xxx
Community Champion
Community Champion

Excellent news alibobs 😘😘😘I’ve requested dj Karana put tune on in club Tropicana for you 👍👍so pleased for you lovely ❤️❤️💕💕Shi xx

Thank you ladies! Quick update. All is Well!!! Yay!! Had physical exam and the onco says absolutely nothing to worry about. The raised red lump is probably a bit of a reaction to a dissolvable stitch on the snb scar!!! Definitely nothing sinister!! Phew!! She said I have done really well and to consider the cancer cured????? Wow!! That sounded good but is it?? I'm so relieved!! Hope you are all well too 💗💗💗
Community Champion

Alibobs

Good luck for tomorrow in your pocket mate xxx

Community Champion
Community Champion

Mishy 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😘😘love you darling. Alibobs ❤️❤️❤️👭👭👭for tomorrow will be thinking of you my lovely 💪💪💪💪lady 💕💕Shi xx

Oops just realised I posted this on the wrong rads thread haha I was a Dec /jan radiotherapy thread! Was half asleep when i read posts, but to reassure you i was told by my bcn that pain for some after rads is normal!!! Always get checked if worried though x

Sorry meant to say sore x

Re armpit psin im still really site get shooting pains on boob and under arm i rang bcn on Friday was told its normal finished rads jan! I will see if it doesn't settle i might as to have it checked my 1st mammo due May my hospital is 1 year after surgery if you had it before chemo

Thanks Helena and Shi. It is in My armpit just at the bottom of the scar. Sometimes it almost disappears and others it looks quite angry and red. I'm going to wait until Wednesday and see what they say at my review. I will certainly keep you updated. Try not to worry too Shi 🤞it is just scar tissue or results of rads 💗💗 xx
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi alibobs, I’ve felt something similar too after finishing rads, it’s been a couple of weeks now and like you I’m a bit 😳😳I’m giving it 2 more weeks then I’m going to get mine checked out too. The rads team told me the rads can make boob feel different for a while after rads. Sending you ❤️❤️And hugs please let us know how you get on 💕💕Shi xx
Community Champion

Alibobs

Give your bcn a call on Monday for your own peace of mind mate.

I have had two appointments with my onc now and both occasions he did a physical exam of the breast and asked me if I have any issues/worries so I am sure that when you tell them about it they will check it.

Helena xxx

So ladies I have a review meeting on Wednesday with the radiotherapy onco. I still have this highly raised red lump which has hard pea like feel under my armpit. It popped up a couple of weeks ago and I decided to give it time to see if it went away. It hasn't. It's not as sore when I press it but it is quite red.it is just below the end of my snb scar. Should I mention it on Wednesday? Or should I just ring the breast nurse in Monday instead? Does the follow up with the onco include an actual physical examination? If so they might find it themselves. I am a little concerned about this but just hope it's something trivial that will go away 💗💗
Community Champion

Alibobs

Thank you so much my friend xxx

Community Champion

Jencat

I think if they have them ready yes they will.  The lady did say if I had not heard by the 10th day to call my Oncologist's secretary and ask her if she has had them, she will be able to tell me.

xxx

Helena, do you think they'll post you the results before you see your onc so you don't have quite so long to wait for them? xx

Glad you got through it ok. Everything crossed for a good result Helena 💗💗
Community Champion

Jencat

She said 7-10 days, my Onc apt is in 13 days time so should be through for then xxx

Glad you didn't have to wait for your mammogram Helena. How long before you get the results? xx

Community Champion

Ladies

Back home after my mammo.  I was actually in and out before my apt time as I arrived early and they took me straight through.  Now the wait begins.

Thank you all for your wonderful support and words.

Helena xxx

You're so right about it not being as strenuous on my arm. I am aiming to get back into it at the end of the month. I've also taken up Yoga which I didn't think was for me but I quite enjoy it!!

Good Luck for today.

Julie xx

Community Champion

Julie

I remember when I was diagnosed I asked the consultant if I would be sorted by the April of the following year, she said I should be and asked why, to which I replied that I needed to be able to bowl again at the end of April, she said that I had bigger fish to fry, to which my friend said oh no she hasn't 🙂 🙂

My treatment from diagnosis to completing rads was 4 months which I thought was good.

That is wonderful they have been so lovely, you will be fine once you get back into it, and with indoor it is less strenuous on the arm xxx

Helena

I so agree what you say about once you're on that green nothing else matters except getting that wood down the other end. Getting your weight and length is an art in iself! I also have to admit I have never met such a nicer bunch of  people. When I was diagnosed it was so sudden and out of the blue. I went for my mammogram straight after a match and haven't been back since as not yet up to it. I was diagnosed, operated on and rads within months. From what I've read on here I am very lucky. In that time everyone from the club have been asking about me and sending me get well cards. Even offering to take me for my treatment.There's an open day the beginning of May so my husband is busy arranging that. We are after new members as member's are dwindling.

Julie x

Community Champion

Julie

I started playing about 34 years ago, I stopped for 20 years and then started playing again 12 years ago, I love playing it is a total escape from everything, whilst I am on that green nothing else is important.  I used to work full time and fit my bowls around it all, now I work part time it is so much better, one of the reasons why I went part time work life balance!! I was fortunate in that I was diagnosed right at the end of the season in 2016 so it didnt affect my bowling.

Kirsty has been playing since she was about 9 I think and she is in her 20's now.  She is a very good bowler, I just get used to her beating me whenever we come up against each in comps 🙂

Our season starts a week on Saturday and the county comps in May so it is going to get busy soon xx

Hi Helena

I've been playing for 2 years. When the players from outdoors come to indoors after the season has finished you can tell because their woods are in the ditch.My husband has played for the best part of 30 years. Origianlly he played only outdoors but since we've moved he plays indoors too. It would be a shame not to with the club so close. I know what you mean about people thinking it's "old mans marbles" but it isn't. You would be surprised as you say about the younger people playing. Some of our players go to Potters and have to say I enjoy watching them on tv. I am the youngest player in my club (55) and the only one still working-if only part time.

I know only too well about having waterproofs. We used to have them hanging everywhere. As for your up and coming player it must be in the surname- my maiden name!! lol! I'm not English though but Welsh. 

Julie x

Community Champion

Julie

It is a completely different game.  I used to play indoor and outdoor, but didnt really enjoy the indoor, It was all about being outside for me.

Know what you mean, Colin bought me a new pair of waterproofs for Xmas, just hoping I dont have to use them. 

I play for Kings Heath Bowls Club in Birmingham, the ground is just about a mile away from where I live so really easy. 

It is a shame that clubs are closing, it is difficult to get young people interested in the outdoor game as it is still perceived as an old persons game, says she at nearly 60!! I used to be the youngest lady bowler in our club but we now have a yougn lady called Kirsty Richards, who is part of the England International Junior and Senior ladies squad, so we are very proud of her.

How long have you been palying for>

Helena xx

Hi Helena

At the moment I am playing just indoors but everyone wants me to do lawn green. I'm not too sure though. A lot of the matches last year were cancelled due to the bad weather so hardly any played. Because of this a lot of the clubs have had to close.The indoor bowls club is literally 200 yards from my house so vey convenient-and dry!!

Julie x

Community Champion

Juliewulie

Thank you so much for that.

You are a bowler as well, do you play crown or lawn green?  I am a lawn green bowler.

Helena xxx

All the best Helena for tomorrow. Will be thinking of you.

From one bowler to another!

Julie x

Community Champion

Meesh

Thank you so much, that is one thing I am not short of on here is the wonderful support from the ladies xxxx

Helena, good luck 🍀🍀🍀for Wednesday I can understand why you're apprehensive I know I will be when it comes to it. We'll all be thinking of you 🤗🤗

Jencat, it doesn't matter how long you take we won't be pulling the 🚂 into the station without you 🤗🤗We've still got you by your gold hotpants, although you'll need to change into red shiny Nolan leggings for rads 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Community Champion

Ladies

Thank you for your lovely words of support it is very much appreciated.  xxx

Community Champion

Jo

Thank you so much for your wonderful support, as always xx

I must admit I have not come across anyone else who has had to wait 18 months but at least I know after this they will be annually.  I think mine will continue to be at the hospital until I am discharged after 5 years, although I am on tamoxifen for 10 years so I wonder if I will just see the onc after that, I will ask him at my apt on the 24th.

Hxx

Helena I think your the only one I've come across who had an 18 month wait post surgery, although I'm still on annuals I appear to have been forgotten about now I'm on to year 3! Was discharged from clinic last year due to good prognosis with grade and type of BC and will now be called to the local supermarket vans but as I'd had my previous 2 mammograms by end of March and I've still not heard anything about this year I guess I have to wait until they are in my area!?

All will be fine on Wednesday, it's the worst one to get out of the way but strangely satisfying at the same time, I immediately felt calm once it was done , we are all behind you ❤️

Just wanted to wish you luck Helena - I can imagine how nervous you must be.

I have been told I will have my annual mammogram a year after the surgery date - interesting how different hospitals do things a bit differently.

Good luck Jencat for the rads - the time will go by quickly. 

I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday Helena and I hope you don't have to wait long for the results.

Perhaps they wait 18mths for your post-op mammogram because the breast takes quite a while to settle down again after surgery? I don't know if my hospital does them annually though as I've got an appointment to see my consultant again in August, which will be a year after my surgery, although I suppose it could just be a physical examination. (The appointment came through before I even started chemo in Oct!)

The thought of travelling to the hospital daily does seem a bit daunting at the moment, especially as it's not my local hospital, but as you say I expect it will go quickly. The letter I received yesterday says the CT scan app is an 1hr and 10mins and my first rads app is 45mins.

I'm looking forward to trying to get back to normality again Helena, although I think the anxiety of recurrance will take a while to go, but hopefully that's something that will ease a bit with time. Because I'm TN recurrance can be greater in the first few years, but equally I know a couple of women who are fine years later, so I'm going have to try to be vigilant without getting too anxious xxx

Community Champion

Jencat

Thank you, yes just want it over with.  It is on Wednesday. 

This is my first one since my op, the hospital's policy is the first one is done 18 months after surgery and then they are annually for the next 4 years with an annual appointment with my oncologist.

Before you know where you are you will be the other side of the rads, it is amazing how quick it goes once you get started. 

Your first appointment will be longer as they do all the checks on the measurements etc again and you will probably see the nurse first of all who will go through what you can expect at a rads session.  After that to be honest you will probably be in and out within 10/15 minute.  I would take a good book with you in case you are waiting around a bit.

Helena xxx

Thank you Helena x I got myself a bit upset about it all yesterday, especially as consultant said there was still a tiny bit of cancer in the two lymph nodes in my breast. On the plus side nothing else showed up on the scan and he said it didn't show anything that he hadn't expected. Feel a bit better about it today and thinking hopefully the radiotherapy will zap the nodes! (Something showed up on my breast, but the consultant didn't seem too worried and thinks it's likely to be swelling and scar tissue from the op)

What day is it next week Helena, I'll be thinking of you x I can imagine you would be feeling scared, I know I would be too. Do you have a mammogram a year after the op or diagnosis? xx

Community Champion

Jencat

Yes it is next week first one post op, bit scared 😞

Everyone is different and we always say on here not to compare yourself with someone else but the great thing is you are nearly there and will be starting your final part of active treatment.  I am going to be ringing those bells very loudly for you in May

Helena xxx

Thank you Helena x I seem so far behind everyone who was in my Oct group and some of the Nov ladies too Smiley Sad

Think I read that you've got your mammogram coming up soon, hope that goes well for you xx

Community Champion

Jencat

Dont worry I will start a May thread at the end of April xxx

It doesn't seem possible that so many of you have finished rads Sue, it doesn't seem that long ago we were all just starting chemo! How are you now you've finished? Have you got to go back to the hospital?

I had my rads letter this morning,very efficient as I only saw the consultant yesterday! I've got CT scan on 17th and start rads on 30th, so just get into April rads group! xx

Jencat I had 23 so started in Feb Hun but finished in March Xx

Just read you've finished rads Sue Smiley Happy (I didn't realise you were on Feb thread, thought it was March for some reason) Well done and hope you enjoyed Disney and London trip with hubby xx

Community Champion
Community Champion

Meesh that’s great news, her stuff will work great with the colour way you’ve done your kitchen and additional bonus for getting it in sale, so you hopefully got double for your £ 😁😁😁💕💕shi xx

Sue, wahoo 🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎊🛎🛎🛎🛎🛎💃🕺🏻💃🕺🏻💃🕺🏻💃🕺🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻Hoorah! Lucky you on the Tiffany necklace what a lovely surprise. I hope you enjoy Disney on ice and Dream Girls. 

OH let me go shopping today at the local dept store, who had sale on kitchen bits and said I could buy whatever I wanted. So obliged by buying more orla kiely bits 😊

Hope everyone one has a fab Easter! 🐣🐥🐰🐇

Community Champion
Community Champion

Sue, what a lovely gift from hubby ❤️❤️❤️Enjoy Disney on ice and dream girls in London 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻👍👍👍👍🎉🎉🎉🎉💕💕💕see you in club Tropicana and back on board 🚂in the cabana lounge 😘😘💕💕shi xx

All done and hubby bought me a Tiffany necklace to match the bracelet he got me when I finished chemo

Not out celebrating tonight but going Disney on ice in the morning with my daughter and to London on Monday with my hubby to see dream girls and stop over xx
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sue 😘😘😘👏👏👏👏🎉🎉🎉🎉ready for you and obviously some 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Tan nan naaa na, tan na naaa na, the reflex, flex, flex, flex ah 😁😁😁😁got to be a bit of Duran to celebrate 😁😁😁😁💕💕shi xx
Community Champion

Sue

Hoping your are all done by now.  Well it is a momentous occasion so no wonder you are feeling emotional.  Ringing those bells for you my dear and hopefully you are celebrating in style tonight

Sending you loads of hugs

Helena xxx

Well done SueW!! Ring those bells loud and proud!!xx