328351posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 Radiotherapy

18 REPLIES 18

Re: February 2019 Radiotherapy

Thank you,  Pinklily, for the advice about Zeroveen. I've had a lumpectomy and lymp node biopsy, was very lucky to be caught early, so I'm on Anastrosol and radiotherapy. I start my radiotherapy on Monday and am nervous despite all the  "you'll be fine". I, too, have had no definitive guide regards which moisturiser to use so reading your post has sent me hotfoot to the drs.  Thorntons 

How’s it going ladies?

Pinklily, you must be 3/4 the way through?

I had my last zap on Friday, Hooray!! Gave the bell a ring and started blubbing. What an emotional rollercoaster!

My last full boob zap was on the 15th and over the last week, my nipple got progressively more and more sensitive and tender. The radiologists just said use E45 and painkillers. I’ve been avoiding the E45 bc it contains lots of parabens. I know they are in all kinds of things but I am just not confident slathering my boob in it 3 times a day. Searched through previous posts of breastcancercare and read good things about Medihoney barrier cream. Wow! It has really helped in just 2 days.

I found the boost sessions painfree but more intimidating. Having the machine rest against my skin is just somehow a bit more frightening but like all the other sessions painless. I will wait to see if my skin gets sore over the next week.

I have noticed that the skin under my treated boob has loads of new birthmarks, it is a big contrast to my other boob. Has anyone else had this?

Hi everyone

I'm half way, had zap 10 on Friday, have to say I'm now feeling pretty fatigued. We had to collect a car we bought from a private seller on Friday as well. My zap was 8.15, we got home from the hospital, straight to the bank and then drove to collect the car. I had to drive our other car back, it hit me that I should not be driving, never gave it a thought before, but the fatigue was worse than I thought, I got home ok, but now know I won't be driving for a few weeks at least. 

The staff keep saying how I must rest during the day, that's hard for me, I'm a get on and do things person.

Like you Multitasker, I've got a patch, but it's light brown and I've developed a swelling on the side of my breast, but I think this is quite normal.

The worst bit is the constant change of times as they are now one machine down. Next week I've got one zap at 7.30 in the evening and then 8.15 the following morning, pretty close together, seems a bit close in time, but guess they know what their doing, It was supposed to be 11.15 every day, but its all changed now.

Hope you are all bearing up and had a good weekend.

Hi lovley Ladies

Hope you are all doing well

How was today Katygran? I hope it wasnt too daunting and you feel a bit more reassured now you have seen the place and met the staff.

Hi ACS1😀 I think driving will depend on the distance and how stressful it is. I have friends taking me most days which is lovely to catch up but I feel bad if the hospital changes times and they need to change plans. I drive some of the days too. It is a 40 mile round trip and I did it twice today (dont ask 😩) I’m midway through week 3 so I think it is doable. I am quite a relaxed driver and the most streesful part is finding a parking space 😬 I am definitley more tired as I go thought the week but feel better by monday. Did you have chemo? Bc its way easier in terms of tiredness

How is treatment going Pinklily and Alittlepixie? I got the impression you are further along alittlepixie? How is straying in Carlisle, sounds like a good option but is it very disruptive?

I’ve has 13 out of 20. I have a noticeble pink patch on one side of my chest. Extra obvious when I get out of the shower. If I lift my arm it is an almost perfect square around my boob going from the centre of my chest and half way up my armpit. My nipple is getting very sensitive. I mentioned it to the radiologist who said my skin was doing well. I was hoping there was some magic tip I hadnt heard of but she said just water and moisturiser! So overall still very happy, fingers crossed for the rest. 

Had number 7 today, still can't believe how easy it is after chemo. I'm beginning to feel a bit tired, but a bit of exercise on the treadmill or a walk out helps, it seems to combat the fatigue. Still using plenty of cream and drinking approx 2 ltr, but that includes cups of tea etc and plenty of water, I have a glass by my side all the time and just have a little drink, it soon goes down and I top up again. The radiotherapist said so far it's looking pretty good, so I must be doing something right.  I had a very little bit of discomfort last night, but we had to go to a family funeral yesterday and then rush back up the M2 to the hospital, I was more than a bit stressed with worrying about getting to the hospital, so extra tired in the evening, I think that's when you feel it, when you're tired, but this morning nothing at all. I've also got plenty of Aloe Vera gel, just by chance my skin does get sore, probably more likely when I have the boosters at the end, I'm well prepaired.

Hope everyone is getting on ok.

Thanks 

Off to Christie Salford Royal tomorrow for first Mapping appointment fingers crossed.

Kind regards

Kate

Hi everyone!

I start my radiotherapy next Wednesday!  Just wanted to say hello and see how people are coping with it?  

I am already taking tamoxifen which is making me quite tired was wondering if anyone else is taking it and having rads?

Hoping to drive myself to and from hospital what do you think will I be ok?

Hi Ladies

How has your week been?

Thanks Pinklily for the info on Zeroveen. I have ordered some, it looks very good. I have been using Biafine which I saw recommended on another forum page but it definitely has a scent to it. I was given a prescription for E45 but as I already have a ton of that so didn't bother!

Have you had your planning scan Katygran? I hope it wasnt too daunting. The whole thing is a very surreal experience. Two weeks in and I still find it peculiar lying in that machine. 

How are you doing Littlepixie? Are you at the halfway point yet?

The end of this week has been the first time I have felt noticebly more tired. I have generally been sleeping longer which is such a relief after the sleplessness of chemo. Wednesday I was full of beans and then suddenly Thursday, boom, knackered! The first week I managed to fit it a lot of walking but this week have been too busy/weather has been pants so that might not have helped.

My skin was sore for only the first time yesterday. By the evening I had some kind of heat rash on my front but it seems to have subsided overnight so keeping fingers crossed.

Have a good weekend everyone 💋💋💋

Hi Multitasker

I took a list of all the moisturisers I've got, I've always moisturised after my shower every day, so it's no great thing to do, I'm used to it, just need to do it at least twice a day rather than the once. When I showed the radiotherapist the list, the only comment was, nothing perfumed. On the McMillian sight it says not to use Aquies emmolient, but the radiotherapist said there was not a problem with using it, but I'm using Zeroveen which my doctor gave me on prescription, it cost nothing and you get a great big 500g tub with a brilliant plunger, I wonder if people know you can get free prescriptions when items are for cancer treatement.

I had my first rads yesterday, Monday, it was over so quickly, I thought something was wrong, but 5 minutes just to get me in the right position and than 10 minutes for the rads, if that. It actually took me longer to make sure I moisturized after the treatment and getting dressed again. It's a bit odd not moisturising after I've had my morning shower, but I was told it interferes with the rads, so a good splodge in the changing room after and I'm on my way. 

Second rads today, two down, 18 to go and if I arrive early and no one else is waiting, they take me straight in.

Know what you mean about chemo, radiotherapy is so much easier, well, so far.

Highlighted

Hi All

I started radiotherapy on the 28th. Hope you dont mind me joining this thread as most of my treatment will be in February.

I am having 20 sessions and am five down already! Yeee ha! 

It is very surreal lying in the machine. It is over so quickly I can’t really believe it! After chemo which is far more involved, takes much longer and leaves you feeling crap! (My body really hated that suff)

So far my skin is fine. I am moisturising and drinking plenty. By friday my boob was feeling quite tender. A bit like bad water retention. The radiologist said this was to be expected and by this evening (sunday) it has subsided.

My son is studyting Physics so I’ve been asking the radiologist a few questions about the dose (Grays), fractions (basically the number of days its divided over) etc. Its really quite amazing how the machine and treatment works!

I’ve read conflicting advice on the type of cream to use for moisturiser, lanolin, parafin, E45 or not etc. The only conclusion I can come to is that any moisturiser is better than none to keep the skin in good condition.

Good Luck Ladies!

Evening Kate

Try not to be nervous, my lovely. My rads are up in Carlisle, so I stay up there for 3 weeks as the travelling is so tiring every day...it's a 3 hour round trip for me otherwise.

The planning session is OK. You lie on a weird bench thing with your arms in some holders so it's not uncomfortable and the staff take loads of measurements & Mark crosses on your skin in pen. This does take quite a while though and my room was fairly cold. You'll stay in the same position and you'll go into the scanner for a scan which is fine and isn't as bad as it sounds! The 3 dot tattoos didn't hurt, it was literally a quick scratch and that was it. You can hardly see the dots really....think of a tiny black freckle.

Let us know how you get on next week. Honestly, it's scarier thinking about it than it really is. The staff will be lovely and you'll be absolutely fine.

Lots of love x

Hi my first appointment next week for the measuring and tattoo bit beieve then 3 weeks of Radiotherapy. Anyone else had their treatment at Christie Salford Royal ? Any tips advice much appreciated I am a nervous wreck Kind regards kate

Hi Pinklily

It went fine yesterday and today thanks. I'll make sure I put on lots of moisturising cream, thanks for the tip. Feel shattered from all the travelling. Roll on next week. When do you start your rads?x

Lots of love x

Hope your radiotherapy went ok today allitlepixie, my cousin had breast cancer and said the radiotherapy is easy after chemo. Just make sure you put plenty of mosturizing cream on, she didn't and wished she had. The other members on this site have given me so much info, it makes such a difference from those who have experienced it.

Hi everyone!

I'm starting my radiotherapy today so I thought I'd join the Feb group as its very nearly Feb!!! I'm a tad nervous about today and what to expect. My friend on the chemo group chat said its a breeze after chemo, so I'm trusting her that it'll be OK for me too.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Love to everyone x 

Thank you optimissy64, I think the doctor said something like that. 

I think I've cornered the market in moisturizers, all unsented of course, already moisturizing twice a day as I have very sensitive skin. Spoke to my bcn as well, she said not to use E45 as it has lanolin in it, but the radiotherapy nurse said it was fine to use E45 cream when I saw them last week, talk about conflict of information!

Community Champion

Think I may have meant electrolytes - some sort of salts anyway! x

Community Champion

Hi Pinklilly

about 1 and a half litres daily is about right - 3 litres will take all the electrocytes (or something!!!?) out of your body so 3 litres is too much and can be dangerous. Good you are drinking water though, as it really does help, just not so much! Good luck with the rads - they will soon pass and you will be on to the next stage of recovery. x

February 2019 Radiotherapy

I'm starting 20 sessions of radiotherapy on the 3rd February, but I'm now a bit confused. I've been drinking loads to make sure I'm well hydrated, but having developed bacteria vaginosis, I had to do a urine sample, and the urine was crystal clear, it looked like ordinary water and the doctor said I'm drinking too much and my kidneys can't cope with the intake. I was told to drink loads and what I've read on this wonderful site, everyone says drink at least 3 ltrs, I don't think I'm drinking anything like that, so what on earth am I supposed to do. Any suggestions please?