cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2018 Radiotherapy

Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: June 2018 Radiotherapy

Loz. Got the message lol. You will be fine. I’m off now for number 4. I moisturise 3 times a day one being when getting dressed straight after treatment. Plus drinking 2 litres of water through out the day. Constantly peeing but that’s fine. My motto is “go with the flow, trust the medical staff and drift with it, as you will travel safer that way. Have. A good day all.
Highlighted

So I'm signed off work but feel very very guilty.
To that end I've been working at home today on the laptop. I can't help it as there is so much to sort out........
I'm not sure what I'm meant to do or how to handle all this.
Im going to see how I feel after the first couple of sessions as I'm sure most of my problems are emotional and worrying about the unknown.
Roll on Wednesday when i can get the first session under my belt.
Highlighted

Thank you for akingtime to write this post

im starting my radiotherapy in Thursday

and feeling nervous

but readingyour post has reassured me

about my emontial being

which I was worried about

and want to drive myself to radiotherapy

thanks again

Highlighted

Gill I start on Thursday 14th June

know excately how you feeling 

fear of unknow

GOOD LUCK

Highlighted

Gill I start n Thursday 14th June

know excately how you feeling 

fear of unknow

GOOD LUCK

Highlighted

You seem so helpful

how do I post

worked out how to reply to post

but can't see how I post

Highlighted

I am so lucky no chemo 

but start my radiotherapy on Thursday

Highlighted

Thank you

i start on Thursday

im nervous of unknown

Highlighted

I start on Thursday 14th june

good luck girls who are starting there treatment

just be glad to get started now

longer I wait 

mire nervous I'm getting

Highlighted

Most of my session are early morning so just my moisturiser at night 

Highlighted

I will take this tip

Highlighted

Not sure if m doing this right but I start my radiotherapy on Thursday 14th June

Highlighted

Thanks Sunflower! I feel reassured reading these entries tha I am not alone - I have a ‘verification ‘ appt on tues, then start rads 18th. I too have found the position painful on the shoulders - been swimming backstroke to practice! Very helpful reminder about the fluids - thankyou all! X
Highlighted

Hi Ladies,

Thought I would join you as my rad's started on 4th June.  I should have 5 under my belt but on Thursday all 3 machines were down so I was sent home untreated.  As the journey is a round trip of 100 miles I was pretty fed up with the wasted journey.  I have also now lost one of my free days.

I am having 15 + 3 boosters and will finish on the 29th June.  So far I have been feeling ok much better than chemo.  Using aloe Vera although I have had it for quite a few years so hope it is still effective.  Also not wearing a bra at the moment, didn't used to wear one in the 60s and 70s so going back to my youth.

Highlighted

Like MellyL I have 2 to go (15 total) slightly different from some on here as I had a masectomy so they are doing the chest wall.

I have been using Aloe Vera and I have a nice 4-6 inch square ‘tan’ slightly pink scar which I have had to up my stretches to stop this tightening so much but ok skin wise.

I have my zaps mid morning so mostly I have gone to work driven to have my rads and then back to work, sometimes leaving early around mid afternoon after my 8th I got hit by a brick wall at work and so on the Thursday & Friday only did a couple of hours in the morning. I have and will do the same for my last 4 as work have said take what time I need, which does make a big difference.

Drinking plenty and also exercising as the best for fatigue is going for a walk ( my partner had prostrate cancer 4 years ago and he walked for 1 hr a day without fail and this helped him deal with any fatigue - he had 35 sessions). So even though some afternoons legs feel full of lead going for a walk has dealt with that and then just feel tired.

Hope everyone starting their rads or just started goes though without to many or no problems - hugs all round

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi lilac. I have had 3/20 and taking each day as it comes. My appointments are all late afternoon and still working albeit from home but doing a 6/7 hour day and have done since surgery. I would go into the office daily but it’s a 100 mil round trip and boss won’t allow! I dont know how I am going to feel this time next week but image slowing cooking and starting to glow and will do working hours to suit. Hope this helps. Speak to work see what they say.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Lilacmoon

Everyone is different and some people do have problems, but on the whole if you read the previous months threads it is not a big problem.

Just make sure you take in plenty of fluid to counter the dehydration effects of the rads, which can potentially cause fatigue, moisturise 2/3 times a day and listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to rest.

I had 20 sessions, my work allowed me to do 4 hours a day 3 days a week, so I arranged my rads to be in the afternoon on those days so that I could got straight from work and then it would give me the evening to rest as I needed to.

A lot of it is the tiredness from going back and forward to the hospital every day.  Are you driving yourself or have you got someone who can take you as that will probably help.

Have you spoken to work to see if there is anything that they can do.  I know my work did an occupational health referral and acted on their recommendations, hence my only being allowed to do those hours.

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Highlighted

LilacMoon
I've done 13, just 2 to go. Have to tell you that once I got used to taking pain relief (my shoulders ached through holding the position especially first sessions) it has been a breeze. Even the heat/tenderness in my nipple didn't last more than 1 day (12th). I've driven myself for most of the sessions (60 milke round trip) and been busy, but not overloaded afterwards.
Drink lots of water.. just add 2-3 glasses through the day as you remember it. The only day I felt fatigue was after a bad night's sticky sweaty sleep (weather) and not drunk much.

Slight reddening and some colouring, really little impact so far.

Once you get into the routine it's soon over. Man Happy

Highlighted

Hope everyone is having a peaceful weekend.

3 more sleeps till i start my 18 rounds. Dead scared about how it will all affect me!!! I've requested to be signed off sick while the treatment happens and now im wondering if work could have done something to accommodate me rather then stressing me out!

My mind is all over the place.......
Highlighted
Community Champion

Sunflower

I am so happy that I made you laugh, and glad that I am able to help

Helena xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi sunflower. Glad all is going ok. One day behind you and have similar twinge in exactly the same
Placeas you and as you say it has been there since surgery. I think the boob is still recovering and nerves sorting themselves out and the zap something else happens so maybe a combination of things. I noticed this
Morning and only had 3 zaps a distinct mark around my nipple bottom of, about 3 inch semi circle. I asked is under arm wavering zapped and they said no just the whole breat. When the machine comes down to the left side it almost goes to the floor which leads me to thing that is zapping the lower part of my boob then it swings to the right and right in my face so thinking that is zappingthe top half. Always feel a bit rushed so dont ask to many questions and try and make it one a day. Stepped straight out of the changing room on Friday and nurse was at the door waiting for me. Hubby thought I had got locked in the changing room. 17 more to go and no doubt will see and feel some changes next week. I seem to be on a mission at the moment keeping the fatigue monster away. Ha e a good week end all.
Highlighted

Strange question alert - are your tattoos the same size?  The one in mid cleavage is much bigger than the one on the side!

Also has anyone else got breast cording like me? I know axillary cording is common and I was warned about that, but I actually have a vertical cord right through my breast and I cannot for the life of me find anything on Google 🤔

4 sleeps until I start my radiotherapy and the boob/s have been creamed beyond belief!

Highlighted
Community Champion

Sunflower

Well I wouldnt call my self responsible, but I am an adult 🙂 so just share away with me and the others, we will get rid of the worry head and put your logical head back on top.

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Hi Sunflower
I didn't realise how big the area zapped was until my skin started darkening. It's about a 6 inch sqaure covering the whole breast and across my scars and into the armpit too. My scars are feeling like they did about 4 weeks after 2nd surgery. They are of course really shaking up the tissues and a lot more going on underneath the skin than is obvious.
Everything is clearly very carefully measured every single time, so try not to worry. if you are, just ask

Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Sunflower

I am sure they are not zapping you in the wrong place, they have very specific measurements from the oncologists which they check at every session.  It is worth mentioning it as they say to tell them everything so that they can check and reassure you

Perhaps mowing the lawn was a step too far and might have just aggrevated the nerves in your breast.

Good thing is that you have two days off from them now

Have a lovely weekend

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Well done Lizzie! Thanks for telling us, I shall think of you next week.
Highlighted

7/15 done, doing ok, always fall asleep when I get home but managing most other normal activity. Helps to have a lift sometimes. Looking forward to a weekend break! X

Highlighted

Hi Everyone, Thanks so much for all your comments and experiences - its really helpful to read.  I am waiting to start RT  and trying to keep up a normal(?) range of non hospital activities haha!  Hoping I can still do things whilst having RT and from your comments - there is a good chance! Thank you all. x

Highlighted

The group induction was really good. There were 5 of us in total, walked round the whole unit and got to see one of the machines close up while it was undergoing a service. We also had a powerpoint presentation that answered everthing i could have wanted.
Broke down in tears only twice, everything has happened so quickly that i think its now that its all sinking in.
I was going to try and carry on working and had booked my rads for early evening, but i decided yesterday (after a panic attack in Central London) that i cant do it and need the time away from the stress of a new job, to concentrate on getting through this.
Im well armed with lots of Aloe Vera products to keep me moisturised and the bio-oil has been amazing on nipple and lympnode sites. My surgeons did a fantastic job stitching me back together!!
First rad on Wednesday. 15 then 3 boosters. 70 mile round trip!!!!!
Look after yourselves xx
Highlighted

Hi All

Quick update. I've had 12 of 15 now. Nipple is super sensitive/warm now. Like it's had too much sun (true I guess!). Any suggestions?? It's well moisturised.

No other symptoms except skin darkening. Shoulders will be glad to stop that diving positioning.
I agree about drinking lots of water. I've only had 1 episode of fatigue so far. Travel is tiring of course. 

3 to go! Yay

Highlighted

Thanks RosieH, good to know.  Not sure I’d want to be near anyone’s pee anyway 😂

Well done to those having treatments this week, 1 more day and then weekend off! Looking forward to joining you with the, next week 

Highlighted

Hi.  Just hopping over from the May thread as I'm all done now, but I second the 'going bra-less as much as possible if you can' recommendation.  I ended up wearing a double layer of lycra vests to at least give myself some support and it was infinitely more comfortable than a bra around the armpit area.  

Goodl luck to everyone on the June thread!   Meanwhile, keep up the fluid intake as it does really make a difference to fatigue / hydration levels!

Highlighted

Dealdoh and Luzxielou42

I've started leaving my bra off as much as possible now unless I get really uncomfortable.

Had my surgery April 9th.

There just always seems something else to see the dr abt at the moment!

Highlighted

Hi DCB

Just catching up on the thread...I haven’t started yet but when I saw the consultant the other day and asked about exercise she said you ca do anything but absolutely no swimming or jacuzzis. Apparently they don’t want you anywhere where people pee!!!!

Starfire have they given you something other than Tamoxifen? Xx

Highlighted

Havent worn a bra since my double mastectomy back in November but sometimes it feels like I am wearing one that is a bit tight.  Are you able to go without a bra for a little while Littkeperson?

Highlighted

Hi Littleperson, how long since you had your surgery? It took my lymph node scar a good 2-3 months before it stopped rubbing xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

1 down 19 to go. And counting. All went fine 15 mins beginning to end and re measured also and still the same thankfully.
Highlighted

Hi all

I've had 10 treatments now and started with a skin rash a couple of days ago with some irritation. Dr says its sunsensitivity due to radio therapy. Left breast and armpit being more irritated (thats my target area).

My lymph node scar is constantly rubbung on my bra's as well - spent a fortune to date to find something that doesn't rub.

Feeling fed up 😕

Highlighted

Had treatment 5/15 today. A friend took me through, felt almost embarrassed about the 80 mile round trip for 10 minutes of treatment, nice to have some company though 😊

Highlighted

25 done now, only 5 more to go! My neck and collar bone is very red and itchy and I've got a bit of blistering under my breast, so feeling a bit sorry for myself! Start my boosters tomorrow-they've managed to double them up so that I can finish a week early Smiley Happy

Hope it goes well for you tomorrow Lilac x

Highlighted

Sunflower_65 

I felt the same after my first rads and as time has gone on the treatments seen to take less time (although they don’t I’m told) I had treatment 10 of 15 today and have had no s/e as yet but that could all change, hoping all goes smoothly for you.

DebSD

Highlighted

You are all so wonderful and helpful.
It was at the end of the first week of a new job that i got my diagnosis!! So not just the new job to get my head around but all these going on's as well.
Everything has been a whirlwind and part of my brain has still not fully processed all thats going on.

Thank you so much for the advice that I've picked up in here. I have my group consultation tomorrow morning so hopefully during that they'll give me heaps of info and inside information!!!!

Please all take care of yourselves xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Ladies,

I had treatment 10 of 15 today, I’ve been very lucky so far in that I’ve had no s/e, I’m expecting them to hit me like a train but taking it one day at a time.

So glad I have found this forum, it’s full of useful information and some great tips.

I still can not believe I have found myself on this journey, when I speak about it it’s like I’m talking about someone else,

🙋‍♀️

Highlighted

You are all so wonderful and helpful.
It was at the end of the first week of a new job that i got my diagnosis!! So not just the new job to get my head around but all these going on's as well.
Everything has been a whirlwind and part of my brain has still not fully processed all thats going on.

Thank you so much for the advice that I've picked up in here. I have my group consultation tomorrow morning so hopefully during that they'll give me heaps of info and inside information!!!!

Please all take care of yourselves xxxx
Highlighted

Oh dear Starfire x you had enough problems with the chemo (and how!) I hope it settles down for you with the rads xx.

Welcome Liliacmoon.  I hope your rads journey is smooth and uneventful. X

Highlighted

Im a June lady as well x Hi everyone 🤗
Start on the 13th for 15 rounds and then 3 boosters.
Highlighted

Hope it all goes well with your consultant tomorrow Starfire. Would he/she be ale to advise you about your rads treatment? x

Highlighted

Hope it all goes well tomorrow Sunflower. I bought my aluminium free deodrant (also paraben free) from Holland and Barrett-Dr Oniker range, more expensive than the deodrants I used prior to bc, but it has lasted a long time x

Highlighted

*numb not Mum x
Highlighted

5th session today. Pain started around my armpit at the weekend and is getting really sore. Tonight I’ve started with redness and itching around the cleavage area. They are zapping left breast and nodes so don’t know why that is happening? Any ideas?
Seeing consultant tomorrow due to stopping Tamoxifen making me spaced out and experience mum sensations in my arms. Gone now I’ve stopped the Tamoxifen xx
Lots of love