cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2018 Radiotherapy

Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: June 2018 Radiotherapy

Ha ha good ole germoline my mum swore by it as best thing ever. Can you still get it? Stick with the aloe Vera lol. Your se’s will be starting to peak next week so should then start to improve. Only slight irritation I have at the moment is round my nipple. But they looked at it yesterday and is fine so just keep putting aveeno on. I feel like a ticking time bomb just waiting for the se’s. Again was told some don’t get any at all during and some get in the 10/14 days after treatment has finished so everything crossed.
Highlighted

Thanks for the gp info Gill, I hadn't been told that, so useful to know.

Glad your skin is looking good. My boob is ok apart from a bit of peeling underneath, probably not helped by my bra, but I was given some padding to put on and that as helped. My neck looks like a burn and is a bit ichy, but they were pleased with how it is healing when I had my review on Monday. It doesn't look great though and we've got a family wedding on Thursday! My 90 year old dad suggested I put germoline on it to help it heal!! x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi still in shock. I am always thirsty afterwards. I take a full bottle of water with me and drink whilst waiting and finish when done. Had my review yesterday and all good, skin looking good but was told that the cream won’t stop anything happening (thats if it happens remember) but it does prevent the skin drying out and soothes it so continue 3/4 times a day. Was told to ring if any skin changes/breakouts as they will supply the creams to put on any burns. This is if it happens after treatment is finished but during they will see this anyway. Was advised not to go to gp as they sometimes give cream for a burn. And if we do have skin breakage then it’s slightly different as radio burn is from the inside out not outside in as with normal burn. Ohhh what we learn hey. So though would share. 8/20 and into the next week we go then 5 boosters for me then ring that bell. Have a good weekend all and keep drinking!
Highlighted

Hi Samantha, I think somehow your post must have got overlooked, so sorry. I was really thirsty during rads and still needing to drink quite frequently now. (I finished my rads last Tuesday) I used to take my water bottle into the room and have a quick drink before I started! I got very dry during the treatment and the radiologists said that the room was air conditioned, so that was probably why. That could be a reason why you're feeling so thirsty x

Highlighted

Can you all see my posts? I've asked a question for the second time on this thread (13.6.18) and nobody has answered again.........☹️

Highlighted

Morning I'm new 2 radiotherapy session done

13 to go

took advise on pain killers water and cream

so many emontions in one place

people ringing bell so happy

others!!!

Highlighted

You're making me smile with your song comments. I couldn't have music playing during my rads because the radiologists needed to talk to me through the mike, but if I had, I'd have got through a whole CD!  Smiley Happy x

Highlighted

David Bowies Space Oddity played today. Session was a little under the length of the song!!
Can't believe how quick it takes.
16 to go.......
Highlighted

I actually got to the stage where a song would come on and I would hope I was able to,listen to it all the way through especially if it was a favourite LOL most days it just finished except when they had an issue with the programme / machine 😊

Highlighted

sounds like everyone is doing really well and it’s good to see those numbers clock up and get closer to the finish line!  Number 3 for me done today, worried the machine wasn’t switched on the 1st few days as didn’t see any difference, but slightly pink when came out today - went as soon as aveeno applied.

Gill, I will listen out for the songs tomorrow and see if I’m done in one  - I haven’t even noticed them so far as I think I’ve been concentrating so hard on keeping still! 

Highlighted

Feeling rough this morning, no energy and I ache everywhere. Driving myself today as well, roll on lunchtime when I can take a nap! 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi daisiemoo. Thanks for your experience and advise. I have some forever living aloe on standby in case I get sore I am using on my nipple at the min as it feels a bit tender. It’s like a waiting game with each day getting up and seeing how you feel. Semi prepared for the se’s. Number 7 for me today. Have a good session everybody and get used to how you get on that bed I was in and out yesterday within 1 song!! That was focusing on getting on the couch and almost lined up straight away. Will do the same today and hope it works again!!
Highlighted

Good luck everyone going through and just starting your rad treatment.

I had 15 sessions and had no problems until the 7th day as I had a nausea afternoon due to taking my Tamoxifen in the morning rather than at night and this did knock me sideways just a little, just completely ran out of steam and had to go home from work.

I then only worked a couple of hours in the morning and then went home after my treatment, felt tired but made myself go out for an hour with the dog and after 15 mins walking felt better.

Still drank tea but also lots of squash to keep hydrated, the one day I didn’t drink enough I did feel tired.

My last week my legs did feel heavy in the afternoon and so left work mid afternoon and again Thursday and Friday I went straight home after treatment.

I used Aloe Vera on my skin and in the afternoon Forever Living Aloe First ( which we always use as after sun) and this was great, before going to bed I used Forever Living Aloe & Bee Propolis cream. Have my rad tan but. no problem with my skin at all.

I had a masectomy and my scar on my arm side is lumpy bumpy and tender but apparently this is normal and this should go down in the next few weeks. I have a seroma under the side of my scar and my drain site which is bruised which I hope will go down also.

Any questions please ask, but hope everyone goes though smoothly with as few problems as possible.

Highlighted

Lilacmoon I also had my first session today!  Was a bit overwhelmed to start with and blubbed again, but once I was on the bed it was okay.....they said I can bring in my own CD to listen to if I want 🎼

Now I don't know if this is psychosomatic but I am really thirsty! Been drinking lots but mouth feels parched - anyone else had this so soon?  I know they say keep well-hydrated but I wasn't expecting a thirst......

Highlighted

Hi Sunflower, I have slept for between 1-2 hours after every treatment. A bit frustrating but I feel ok otherwise so have just accepted it as part of the process. I have had 10/15
Highlighted

First one done.
All over before i really realised what was going on.
Time will yell 😊
Highlighted

Thank you Gill

so reassuring

to read

your success 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Sunflower

You bet it will, already made a note of it xxx

are you taking in enough fluids as that will help with fatigue, good that you are listening to your body as that will help you

Highlighted
Community Champion

Jencat

Glad you liked them.

I think you are right a combination of everything and it just spills over, which is good as it is better to get it out. 

How was your first day after rads 🙂 🙂 xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi DCB and Loz.   number 6 for me today and all fine.  keep doing arm excercises.  I stand slightly in front of a door and raise arms up and back to touch the door.   I do keep getting shoulder spasm and take ibrupofen 1 hour before I go, usually half an hour been have had a bit of a wait this last 2 days to machines being down.  I know everbody reacts differently but I had a review yesterday and radiography said I will start to see colour change this time next week.   She also mentioned my skin was looking really good and asked what I was using.   I am using Aveeno 4 times a day.   Morning, Lunch time, straight after treatment when getting changed and night time so fingers crossed it will stay this way.  Drinking 2 litres a day excluding coffees and always take full bottle with me and knock that bad why waiting and after.    Also asked at the end when all the formal stuff had been done if I could do my nails.   Yes I can and her words were you can do anything as long as its not in the breast area and won't affect the treatment.   Again all clinics are different.   I hope my 5 days experience helps you both moving forward with your own.  One other thing is walking, I go for a walk through the village every two hours and if I can't do it or in other words can't be bothered I go up and down the stairs till I get a bit of a sweat on. 

Fit bit is going on meltdown.

Ladies I am sure all will go great for you and all sessions complete and ringing that bell.   Four times it rang in my clinic yesterday and I can't wait to ring it and going to video it also then put on facebook as advise to all my friends that it can be beaten, I have done it, finished active treatment  and to inform them all to check their boobs. 

Jencat - Ringing that bell for you.    and bet it feels so strange not having to go today?   

Have a great day all and good rads today.    Mine is not till 16:45 today.   

Highlighted

Helena, I'm glad I'm not the only one who cried after finishing rads! I couldn't believe how emotional I felt, even getting changed afterwards made me feel teary! (Probably not helped either that I was tired as my treatment was at 8am!)

I loved the bells btw, thank you Smiley Happy xx

Highlighted

I feel tired today Dcb, but I'm not sure if part of it isn't down to the emotion of yesterday! I did feel overwhelmingly tired a few times during treatment and had to have naps, but think it was partly down to the journey each day as well. The radiologist said to make sure I drank a lot as that helps with the fatigue. x

I feel as if the physical side is finished, but now I need to spend a bit of time looking after myself mentally x

Highlighted

Glad your first rads went ok Dcb Smiley Happy I remember thinking on my second day that I didn't think I could do it and 25 sessions seemed forever! (Didn't know at the time that the 25 sessions were only the ordinary rads and the boosters hadn't been added on yet, good job I didn't!) But once I got into the routine and got to know the staff, the time has gone really quickly! x

Highlighted

Congratulations for finishing rads too Daisiemoo! Smiley Happy How are you feeling today? x

Highlighted

Thank you all very much for your lovely replies and for the bell ringing! There wasn't a bell at the hospital, so thank you for those Smiley Happy

I didn't celebrate Helena as when I got back YD was in agony with a kidney infection, so spent the afternoon at the doctor's with her! Smiley Sad Also, ED won't be back until the weekend, so I'm sure we'll do something then. We did end up at ex-husband's house after the doctor's though and had dinner together with his step-daughter and her two small daughter's, which was nice. (Bit strange I know, but ex-hus and I get on quite well)

I'll celebrate properly once I know the cancer's gone-there was a microscopic amount in the internal mammory node, so I'm sure I'll need to have another scan in a few weeks time once everything has settled down after rads. I've worried a bit that maybe I won't have been given enough rads for it to be zapped, although the radiographers have assured me that the amount of treatments I needed are carefully worked out and the treatment nurse said she'd be very surprised if there would be any cancer left. Despite all this, there is a bit of me thinking perhaps I should have had more boosters to be on the safe side!

Found it quite difficult to sleep last night, I think it was the emotion of the day, so feel tired this morning! I used to go to rads at different times, so it's not really hit me yet that I'm not going today!

It's a year ago today that I was diagnosed with bc, what a year! xx

Highlighted

I start tomorrow

be glad when I've been to first one

Highlighted

ringing the bell for you both Jencat and Daisiemoo. - tried to add a flash bell picture but I’m a technophobe!

Great to hear people coming out the other side - how are you both feeling? is it right that the fatigue hits after treatment stops? even if it does I’m sure there is also such a great relief to be finished with those daily trips! 

Day 1 done for me, was strangely very anxious but it was all very straightforward! 1 down, 19 to go! 

Have great days all

Highlighted

Thanks Ladybowler
Highlighted

Breast care on radiotherapy

Highlighted
Community Champion

Daisiemoo

Yay ringing the bells for you as well today  xx

ringing bells.gif

Highlighted

Last rads done today, yeh it is such a good feeling 😊😊😊then went out to lunch to celebrate.

Now the count down starts for my reconstruction in 12 months and the decision of who what and when.

Good luck everyone with there rads over the rest of this month 😊

Highlighted
Community Champion

Jencat

Yep that is the release of all the emotions, I remember crying on my way back to the car park on my last one, that is it now end of active treatment. Well done you lady it has been a long haul but you have done it.

Ringing the bells for you this afternoon xxxx

ringing bells.gif

Hope you are doing something lovely to celebrate

Helena xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Samantha

My tattoes were all the same size I think, to be honest I can not find them now, not sure if the one in the middle is a freckle or the tattoo.

I am not sure about breast cording, perhaps you could put a question on the Ask Our Nurses to see if they might be able to help, alternatively ring your bcn to see if she is able to give you advise.

Helena xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

lorraine

What was the book? xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Awww Jemcat bless you. I would will be just the same I am sure.
Highlighted

Glad that's over for you

im starting on Thursday 

feeling nervous

Highlighted

Thank you all so much for your good wishes Smiley Happy Last rads done! Smiley Happy Can't believe how emotional I'm feeling though, even felt a bit wobbly when the radiologist put my mat in the bin and said you won't need that anymore! Had a little cry in the changing room and then when I thought I'd pulled myself together, my friend's little boy came toddling over in the waiting room with a big bunch of flowers for me, which started me off again! The receptionist came and gave me a hug and looked like she was going to cry too! I've had a little cry since I got home too, I'm an emotional wreck! Smiley Happy xx

Highlighted

Hi Helena

read this book

thanks for heads up

lorraine

Highlighted

Start 14 th June for 3 weeks

ill be  ringing that  bell on 4July

thank you for tips

Highlighted

Excerise 

drink 2 litres

taking pain meds

cream well

which I have been doing

will remember these tips

lorraine

Highlighted

Thank you 

Highlighted

Good luck this morning Jencat. I'd guess by now you will be done??
Walk away and never look back x If it were me I'd now go and find a cafe and have a huge fryup!! Only because its not the done thing to drink this early 😱😂
Now for you to get on with planning that wedding xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi jencat and well done. One heck of a trip! I try not to use the word journey! Ring that bell out loud. Now time to start moving forward with the new norm. In 16 days time I will be in the same situation and know what you mean by not having that support there and routine will be hit big time so can only imagine it will be a shock to the system in a way. I have signed up for a moving forward course but doesn’t start till November. Hoping I might not need it as got plenty to do in planning daughters wedding as it has been put on the back burner this last few month but need to started on it so hopefully that will help. Again it is going to be the “one day at a time” situ for a while. Anyway good luck and enjoy.
Highlighted

Can i ask what breast cording is??

I'd forgotton about my tattoos!! They are literally the same size although I've no idea if they are meant to line up or not.

2 sleeps to go!!
Highlighted

Hi Samantha, so sorry your posts weren't answered, that doesn't usually happen.

I'm pretty sure my tattoos are all the same size, they're not very big at all. I was surprised how small they were.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the breast cording question because I've not had it. If you don't find anyone else on here with cording, it might be worth starting a new thread so that more people can see your question. You could also ask one of the nurses by either going on the nurse section on the forum or phoning the BCC helpline x

Highlighted

Can anybody answer my two questions from the 9.6.18? My post appears to not to have been seen? 😔

Highlighted

Hi everyone, it's my last rads session tomorrow! Can't believe it really as I've been going for the past 6 and a bit weeks! (tomorrow will be my 30th session!) Got to be there just after 8, so will have to leave home just after 7 because of the rush hour! I said today I might as well turn up in my pyjamas and then just get dressed afterwards, lol! Smiley Happy

In a funny sort of way I'm going to miss going, it's been my routine for so long now and the staff are lovely-one gave me a big hug goodbye today as she won't be there tomorrow. I'll also miss the reassurance of being able to speak to someone daily if I've had any concerns.

I was diagnosed almost a year ago (13th June'17) so it's come round full circle! x

Highlighted

Thank you for replying

Highlighted

Thank Gill for your reply

Highlighted
Community Champion

Just had number four eventually. Machine down so all had to be slotted inbetwen the other 3 machines. Hour wait so had to ha e review appointment cancelled till tomorrow. So tomorrow I have ct scan, treatment, review so could be there a while. Quite achy tonight as seemed to take for ever to measure up then again for start of image and zapping so arms, shoulder and neck quite achy and took ibrpofen prior to stop my back going into spasm. They did tell me it could be the build up so if worse is to come I can’t say I m looking forward to it. Going to start doing more arm excersise in the hope it helps. Waiting for iprorofen to wear off so can take some more. Other than that I feel fine. Could it be different team, different machine and not so relaxed maybe. I did tell them afterwards that it didn’t quite seem right somehow. They said was all measured and positioning was exactly the same which I am sure it was. Lots of people in there due to machine down but boy the men do moan lol.