cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2018 Radiotherapy

198 REPLIES 198
Highlighted

Re: June 2018 Radiotherapy

Lots of love to you all who have now finished xxxx my last one tomorrow and first thing Saturday we are packing the car and headed off to Cornwall to just have time to ourselves.
Apart from the slight pinkness and a very itchy nip, nothing really to moan about.
Gawd bless the NHS. 12 weeks to get me sorted.

Good luck all xxx you are all amazing and beautiful.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Yeahhhhhhh that’s me done. Rang that bell and no side effects to shout about just itchy a bit so hope it stays that way. In our own now!! What will I do tomorrow? Onwards and upwards. Take care all you lovely ladies and start to live the new normal as best you’re possibly can. 99 days from diagnosis to last day of rads well done nhs that’s what i say. Take care
Highlighted
Community Champion

Ladies

I think are a few of you who are finsihing rads today so I am ringing the bell for you all.  Sorry it is not individually however I am on a flying visit home after work as I have a bowls match tonight and need to get back out again soon.

Helena xx

bell-ringing-gif-9.gif

Highlighted

Woo hoo that's me done ,not a single side effect so far still keeping my fingers crossed for a few more weeks .No bell for me to ring so rang my doorbe when I got home .
Highlighted

Bell rang yesterday 🛎 .  I think there are a few more to ring this week so thinking of you all

Highlighted

Hi Jamsey,
Like Gill says its your poor boob wondering whats going on.
I had no side effects till well over a week from started treatment. I get nerve pain which feels like a hot pin prick and a few itchy bits but on the whole nothing that im panicking about.
The best thing im doing is literally smothering the whole area with Aloe Vera Cooling Gel, straight after my session. Mentally im thinking that its a little bit of love for what my poor boob just went through.

Talk to your technicians on Monday just to put your mind at rest xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Jamesey. It’s all the nerves thinking what the heck is happening now. My thought are they were just starting to settle and jiggle back to normal after surgery now they are being hit with something else. Check with your rads team on Monday and I am sure they will say all is ok. My boob is still numb from surgery on 10th April and it’s still blue!!! Hope this helps settle your mind a tad.
Highlighted

Ladies have had second rads today , my boob tonight feels tender to the touch , almost quite painful at times , is this normal ? I’m drinking loads and moisturising all the time xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Couldn’t agree more Lilac. It will be 99 days on Tuesday from diagnosis to last rads. And got the and got through it.
Highlighted

Cheers Gill x
Thats what I'd kind of read but still better hearing it from the coal face so to speak!!!
Just thinking that this time next week I'll be done.
Crazy to think whats happened in less then 4 months. From first going to the doctors to finishing radiotherapy. Can't fault the system 😊
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi lilac. The booster are quicker. 3 short saps I have, I below 1 to the left and one diagonal from the right. The boosters are aimed at the tumour bed to completely zap it. If you look into the machine you will see the hole where the zap comes from is lots smaller than the one you are currently having which is aimed at the whole breast. They are fine. I ha e a few red spots immediately afterwards but fine by the time I get home. One thing that might happen and it is absolutely fine and normal is like an electric shock going through you boob. Last seconds but does make me jump at times. 2 to go for me.
Highlighted

Gill, is the booster any different to the normal round?
Im starting my boosters next Wednesday. So far i've counted my rounds as being on average 28 seconds each side.

12/18 and headed into the final week.

Have a lovely weekend one and all xxx
Highlighted

Thank you x x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Jamesy

You should be ok, just be mindful to not rub the area that you are having the rads on, you need to just gently pat it dry

Helena xx

Highlighted

Going ok

11/15

skin is coping 

laid on my chillmax pillow

struggling with hot sweats

Highlighted

Hi ladies had my first one today , I’m lying topless as we speak covered in moisturiser . I forgot to ask today can I shower as normal tomorrow ? I use simple shower gel ?
Highlighted
Community Champion

Gill

that was the same with me and then it went dark brown as I had just been sunburnt on that triangle and the colour deepened.

Woo hoo nearly there ladies and you will be waving goodbye to active treatment.

Sending you all hugs xxxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

3 more to go. Boosters going all ok. Nurses commented on how good my skin was looking after 17 sessions saying I should be proud of it and asked what I have been using. Touch wood tiny bit of itching that’s all. Nice shade of pink triangle on my boob and that’s it. Hoping it stays that way to the end and beyond. Hit a tired patch around 3:30 in the afternoon whilst traveling to the hospital but walk to and from clinic sorts that. Roll on Tuesday and ringing that bell. Hope everbody is having good sessions with not to many se’s. Have a good evening all
Highlighted

Found out yesterday that my review meeting is actually on my last day! Oh well, can't do anything about it but its nice to think i see someone officially on my last day.
As ever it was hit and miss again today.
Not only a machine change but a time change as well. Thankfully we were early so didn't miss the new slot.
Still no major side effects and literally just a case of mild sunburn. Im cracking through the aloe vera gel/moisturiser at a good rate!!
7 sessions to go 😊

Highlighted
Community Champion

Gosh it sounds as if there will be a lot of bells ringing very soon ladies xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Same where I am lilac. Do have my fave machine which is strange as they are all identical Truebeam2. Get on it almost bang in to measurements but other machines nope just can’t do it. We can be 50 mins behind and I do late afternoon early evening. Like you we just go with the flow and have got to know some lovely people and of course the footy is on for the boys so their happy. Number 15 for me today then start boosters tomorrow. Review yesterday and all good skin looking good, bit itchy and was offered cream but don’t need it as not to bad. Light getting brighter at the end of the tunnel
Highlighted

Im now halfway through and getting there. 😂
Normally fun and games with rad machine roulette
so every appointment is a guessing game of which machine and at what time.
The one I'm booked on to is the busy evening machine so half the time Im bumped on to another one as appointments can run up to an hour late!!!
But me and he are never in a rush so we just go with it.
Slight pinkness on the boob but apart from that nothing of any real note. Just drinking loads and slapping the moisturiser on in gallons.
Good luck everyone for this week xxxx
Highlighted

Hi dcb think we are one day behind you we have 6 left now .No bell for me to ring at my hospital so the doorbell will have to do I might honk my horn as I drive out of the car park ! I hope you continue to feel ok Gill as youre going to be busy when hubby gets home ,hope all goes well for him .
Highlighted

sounds like We will all finish on the same day Suzi, Gill, as I’ve 5 left after today too now my booster sessions have been cancelled.  there’ll be lots of bell ringing me t Monday! 

Skin in still looking fine but am very tired and having lots of headaches, although not really bad ones thankfully, just a fuzzy head.  the end is in sight! 

hope your husbands hip replacement goes smoothly Gill 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi suzi. Yes looking forward to the end and ringing that bell but will be strange not doing that daily trip to the hospital but I am sure I will get used to it. Got a busy weekend though as hubby goes for hip replacement on Friday so he will be o e end of the hospital and I will be the other.
Highlighted

Gill,14/20 tomorrow for me as well .So far all ok no side effects at all ,i had my 5 boosters at the beginning,hope I'm not tempting fate ! Also I've been on letrazole for 8 months and once again I have tolerated this very well .End of active treatment is in sight,can't wait I'm sure it's the same for you .
Highlighted
Community Champion

Well ladies here we go into another week. 14/20 for me tomorrow with boosters starting Wednesday. Feeling fine, skin looking good a little itchy but nothing major. Only thing I am finding is headache most days at some point and drinking gallons and bp is also fine. That light is getting brighter and end of active treatment then the next bit the tabs but will manage them I am sure. Good luck all this week and those starting tomorrow don’t worry all will be fine onceyour first one is out the way and you know what to expect moving forward. Take care everbody
Highlighted

Well done you

im on 5/15 sessions

Highlighted

Well done Lizzie Smiley Happy x

Highlighted

Last one today 😊

Highlighted

5/18 done 😊
Bit of hopping around on various beds today as the normal machine i have was on the blink. Got there in the end and that was the main thing. I was dreading they were going to say they were shutting up shop and sending me home without my treatment!!!

Im using Aloe Pura Aloe Vera Gel straight after my treatment and then the actual moisturiser during the day. I got them in a local health food shop but I know Holland and Barrett sell the range as well.

No major s/e of note aside from just ferling tired all the time. But i think thats just my body coming to terms with everything plus maybe s/e from Tamoxifen??

Trying to drink loads and never go anywhere without a bottle of water.

Motown was back on tonight.

So, 1 week since I finished my 15 sessions of r/t. No signs of anything for the first 8 sessions then gradual reddening and then started applying aloe vera straight after. E45 cream at night. Some shoulder pain, take painkillers within the hour before each session.
NB:Keep doing shoulder exercises all the way through and after.

Since I finished there has been a gradual reddening, itching and heating up. Lots of small freckles/skin tags turning darker, but no big deal.

Last night it was like heat rash spreading fast and really itchy tiny lumps. Applied liberal Aloe Vera (Holland & Barrett) last thing. Lot of the rash and the heat had gone this morning. Made a big difference to the feel and look of my skin today. Hope that's my drama done! Zoledronic acid awaits

2nd tip - don't forget your back. My treatment meant some rays pass right through and hubby pointed it out.

Good luck ladies

Highlighted
Community Champion

Go onto the forever living website. It ain’t cheap but I do like forever living stuff it’s 19:00 a tube. Holland and Barrett do one for a lot less money.
Highlighted

Hi everyone

doin ok on 4/15

feeling good

took all your advice thanks everyone

i drink moisturise and take paracetamols before I go

Highlighted

Mcnulcc, can’t add any more to what Gills said! Drink lots and moisturise with aveeno.  I’m 6 down today and skin looking fine and not seeming too tired yet.

had appointment with oncologist today, wasn’t sure what it would be for but assumed just to see how I was going.  Anyway, it was to discuss my 5 planned boosters.  Apparently the position of my tumour means the boosters would be aiming directly at my heart.  She has recommended I skip them as risk outweighs benefit..  On the positive side, I’ll finish a week earlier than anticipated! On the negative side I’ll be worrying about the effects of not having the boosters 😂.

Highlighted

Gill3105 thanks for the advice will start to stock up quick question where do you buy your aloe vera from
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Mnc. I started moisturising a good 2 weeks before. I am using aveeno with forever living aloe Vera in the fridge to use if I go sore. Had 9/20 so far and skin looking ok but early days. Some use e45 again it’s down to choice. I am 2 weeks in and on 2nd tube of cream!! 3/4 times a day I slap it on and have a little tub I take with me and put on when getting dressed. Drink lots and lots I am sure this has helped me and I’m no drinker. Keeps you hydrated and again I take a bottle with me and drink whilst waiting. Once you have your first one out of the way you will be good to go with all the rest. Get used to how you get on that bed so not much shuffling around has to be done as it’s not the most comfy of beds! I also take 2 paracetamol half an hour before I go which helps with the arms and no aching as the days go by. Some say they are a tad tired when they return home I am the opposite I am on a mission but flop at around 9:30. What I have found is every single one of us is different and we all vary so much in what we go through so it is very much a one person situ. But help from here of how we are all reacting is absolutely brilliant. Every little bit of advice helps even if it do t affect us. Good luck with your rads and hope all goes well. Oh I do ramble. ! 😳
Highlighted

Morning ladies I will be joining the July /August thread but would just like some advice as to what I can do in preparation for treatment. Should I be moisturising now? Am 4 weeks post surgery and still a bit sore so whilst I am using my usual moisturiser on arms and u naffected side have not restated moisturising surgery site. Also any suggestions as to which is best cream to use pre treatment x
Highlighted

be and done 3/15

hope your doing well

Highlighted

Glad everyone’s thought the same re pen marks and it’s not just me 

heck thats a late appointment Gill, hope it doesn’t mean stuck in traffic for you at that time.  I’m 12 o’clock today so setting off soon - I always leave plenty of time I case get stuck in traffic but arrive way to early! they usually see me straight away anyway though!   Hope your headache eases too.

Off to top my water bottle up now! 

Highlighted

Last three for me this week 😊 hoping everyone’s week goes smoothly xx

Highlighted

Shame your rads is so late today Gill x

Hope everyone's rads goes well this week. I still find it strange that I'm not going! x

Highlighted

Funny you should say that about the pen marks, I felt the same. I used to have a laugh with the radiographers about it, like you I didn't want them to think I hadn't washed! x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Morning all. Another week and here we go. Dcb made me smile on the pen marks and them thinking we don’t shower I was exactly the same. Don’t worry about them just shower as normal and don’t rub them was my advise as the girls know they are yesterday’s marks. I find shampoo lightens them better than shower gel. I have had a headache all weekend and drinking gallons. Don’t know if it’s a se or just a bit of tension waiting for the se’s. My appointment is a 18:00 today. Right at footy time!! Number 9 today. Have a good day all and keep drinking
Highlighted

My 1st full week too Loz, good luck with it - I’m currently 4/20 done.

isnt it funny how we worry about the silliest things? My main worry last week was that the pen marks they’d drawn on me each day didn’t want to come off fully.  I was worrying that they would think I didn’t wash properly 😂😂. Anyway, after a weekend of showers and hard scrubbing (whilst trying not to irritate the skin!) I’m starting the week off clean! 

Fingers crossed for for a good week for all with little soreness or fatigue x

Highlighted

Hope it goes well Loz x

Highlighted

My first full week

did Thursday Friday of last week

done2/15 only

Highlighted

I’m 11/15 and so far s/e not too bad. Get very sleepy after treatment and also more thirsty, nipple tender but no other skin changes. X

Highlighted

We're all doing well girls xx

Highlighted

It's happened to me

but not sure I'm doing it right