331176posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping on under arm dressings after radiotherapy

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Keeping on under arm dressings after radiotherapy

Just in case anyone reads this subject at a later date and needs some help...

Surgifix dressing, size 8, is the best and only thing that I’ve found that stays on with non adhesive bandages, and I sourced it through Amazon. There is a YouTube video which describes how to cut this to size and wear it. Perhaps there may be another make of this netting, and there possibly is, but I’m not sure. It cost me about £13  but is so worth every penny. This not only helps keep the bandage on the skin but is light weight, cool to wear, easy to put clothes on top of, and I didn’t need anyone to help put it on although it can be fiddly. It is quite lengthy so looks as though it can be cut for about 4 of them, but I guess it depends on what size you are. I’m 5’5 size 18 and it should do any size smaller or larger both smaller or larger than I am. 

Finally I have some blessed relief from my wound, and a hope that it might start healing!  

Good luck, and thanks to those who wrote suggestions. 

Thanks City,

I’ve just looked up cravat dressing for bandages and it looks like a great idea, I think I have some triangular bandages in the house somewhere so will try it tomorrow. 

The Maltese cross one doesn’t help it to stay on I’m afraid...at least not for me! 

An oversized piece of Polymem cut like a Maltese cross might work, if that makes sense. I also seem to remember a technique called something like a cravat dressing.

Mini Mad,

This is not quite what you suggested but you gave me this idea. 

I’ve stuffed hankies into a sock to form a very thick wad, and put it on top of the Polymem.

Tying the crepe bandage on top of it all and then tying it around my bra straps and top of chest is holding it in place a lot better. There’s so much bulk though that I can’t wear it out of the house, and I know it will still slide so I won’t be able to wear it like this for long or at night, but it’s the best system so far! When my arm is down it’s so much easier for this bulk to stay in place than it was without it, and my skin is no longer rubbing against skin! 

This is actually giving me quite a bit of relief for the moment, the thickness and softness of the hankies is like a soft pressure against the plaster and wound! Thanks for the help, it’s a blessed relief!

Actually, an apdatation of the hanky idea might work for me, it’s given me an idea!  I’ll see if I can use that suggestion and let you know. I’ve just spoken to the hospital nurse who didn’t have any other suggestions. 

Thanks so much Mini Mad! 

Dont know if this would help but my scar is down the left outer edge of my boob.

everything i tried was rubbing on it making it so sore.

eventually ended up folding a large cotton handkerchief into a kinda oblong n having one side tucked into my crop top, with the other side up n over the top on outside .

gave me relief from chaffing and rubbing.

hope you have find/adapt something. X

Highlighted

Keeping on under arm dressings after radiotherapy

Perhaps someone can help with this, I cannot be the only one in this situation but can’t find advice anywhere. 

How is do I keep non adhesive Polymem dressings in place under the arm after radiotherapy?

Under my arm is so raw and I have an infection. I was told not to use tape or anything adhesive but out of desperation tried it and the pad kept falling off anyway! I’ve tried crepe bandages, tight t-shirts, even cut clothes up to see if I can find a way! I’ve asked the nurse, two chemists, tried amazon, you-tube but nothing recommended seems to work or I cannot find the product! I’ve tried the Polymem website but those suggestions don’t work either! 

Tucking into a bra at the bottom of the pad doesn’t keep it in place because the top of the Polymem hangs over, and not close to the wound anyway. (I have a dressing on the nipple area too and the bra keeps it there).

I’m also beginning to think I might be sensitive to an ingredient within the dressing but need to at least give wearing it properly a chance! 

So HOW do I keep underarm bandages on?