Dcb that is reassuring as I have a long haul booked for the end of June and have yet to start radiotherapy so I will either be finished very close to flying or not be able to go but I will discuss when I go to my oncologist appointment but it’s good to know you could travel quickly afterwards 👍 x
Hi I was interested to know how you managed with the long haul flight and the holiday just one week after your rads. I will be in the same place as you, expectedting rads in December then flying to Muscat for a month on 30/12.
Hi Dealdoh, I’d already booked the holiday before diagnosis so I am covered by the insurance I had with my bank account, but I won’t be for any new bookings made. It is on my to do list to get travel insurance for a week in Spain we have just booked, I’ll see how much my existing annual policy will charge and if it’s ridiculous will try some of the companies suggested on the McMillan site
I’m flying to America exactly 1 week after my rads finish (20 sessions, 15 normal and 5 boosts). it was booked 18+ months ago pre diagnosis and whilst I’d like to have had a bigger gap, it’s just fallen this way and the radiologist doesn’t seem to think it will be a problem at all. only concern was that I keep covered up for the 1st week. Ocncologist is aware too and hasn’t raised any concerns.
Hi All, I am currently half way through my rads and we are planning to go to Canada towards the end of September - hopefully all will be well. I am a a little bit of difficulty in sorting out travel insurance and half in fact been told by two companies that they are not prepared to give me a quote until I have finished active treatment. Would you ladies have any recommendations with regard to travel insurance providers?
Thanks for your reply Andi. I have an appointment with my Oncologist this coming Friday so will see what she says but it sounds like it should be ok as long as I take all the necessary precautions.
Thanks for your reply. I used factor 50 and took all the advised precautions and everything was fine with our short haul holiday, think the flight was 4 and a half hours. The long haul flight is just double that so I am hoping to get the go ahead when I ring the rads team tomorrow. Obviously I will take all the advised precautions.
Hope you have an amazing time when you go to Central America and good luck with your rads.
I had two lymph nodes removed, only one was abnormal and have not had any problem with lymphadema. I havn't really had any dealings with my BC nurse since before I had my surgery and she only works part time but I will contact the rads team tomorrow. If they dont give the go ahead we will have another short haul holiday instead but I do prefer the locations of the long haul holidays we have had so far.
Thanks for your advise.
Well I’m off to Central America for 2 with the family about 6 weeks after finishing and I’m planning for It to be OK. I spoke to my oncologist initially about it and he didn’t think it would be an issue at all. He did say he’d think I was mad if I was planning to go immediately post treatment as you can never know how you’re going to react, etc. but otherwise, you just need to take the usual precautions.
For me this means, compression socks for the flights, lashings of factor 50 for the affected area (I’d be using factor 30 everywhere else in any event), a rash vest for swimming and I plan on keeping it mainly covered up.
Just wondering what are your thoughts on how long to wait after radiotherapy finishes to doing a long haul flight. I have done a 4 hour flight no problem within 3 weeks of finishing but I am now considering a long haul flight in a couple of weeks which will be just over 10 weeks from finishing.
I am going to see my Oncologist in just over a week but the price is really good at the moment and I am worried there will be no flights/rooms left if I leave it.