Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

March 2018 Radiotherapy

Re: March 2018 Radiotherapy

I've had my last rads πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ†πŸŽ†πŸŽ†πŸŽ†πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜Š

Community Champion

Bim

I was advised to take in 2 litres a day but also you need to be careful you do not drink too much xx

Thanks for the advice Helena! Yeah I’m constantly thirsty, so will keep trying to drink more πŸ‘

cheers x

Community Champion

Kaz

I remember when I finished mine I was fine until I was walking across the car park and then suddenly burst into tears, it was just the relief of it all.

Takeaway and champers sounds really good to me and a nice meal out tomorrow perfect way to celebrate

Helena xxx

Thanks Helena,

Hubby and I were planning on going out for a nice meal but I wanted to watch the ladies on The Full Monty so we had a takeaway and some champagne and we are now going out for a meal tomorrow night. 

I blubbed all the way through watching The Full Monty, I am so emotional now I can cry at the drop of a hat but I did notice that the ladies that had actually had bc were also far more emotional than the rest of the very brave ladies.

Kaz xx

Community Champion

Otter

Thats great at least it gets it over a day earlier and then you have your lovely session on Thursday to look forward to xxx

Thanks Helena

They had a space on Monday so will now finish Wednesday then Thursday have can just go to !y first free Macmillan Reflexology session and relax

Hope you all have a good weekend

πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜

Community Champion

Bim

Are you taking in enough fluid, as the rads can make you dehydrated and cause tiredness/fatigue.

Well done that you are nearly there, have a lovely restful few days off rads now.

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Otter

I would think it was probably a co-incidence and more to do with your own natural healing process.

You are so nearly there now.  Are you taking enough fluid in as the tiredness/fatigue can be as a result of the dehydration from the rads, but also the constant travelling to and from the hospital.  Have a lovely 3 days off after today.

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Kaz

Woo hoo, well done lady, so pleased for you and hope you are doing something lovely to celebrate the end of active treatment.  Yay πŸ™‚ :0

Helena xxx

Well I rang the bell yesterday for the end of my treatment and also got the all clear from my lovely Surgeon/Consultant and now just have to have annual mammograms for the next five years. Started with the itchiness a bit yesterday so the radiologist organised some hydrocortisone cream for me to use when needed, so far have managed with E45 and Aloe Vera Gel but nice to know I have a back up.

Hope you all have a lovely Easter weekend and good luck for the rest of your rads.

Kaz xx

Hi all

Happy Easter 🐣🐣🐣🐣🐰🐰🐰🐰

I've got number 12 today then 3 days off 😊😊😊😊

Tiredness is really becoming a problem πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Silly question my scar on my breast seems to be a lot better nearly can't see it would Rads help the healing process or just a coincidence πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±

πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

Hi everyone, came across this forum today. So good to hear you are not alone πŸ€— I'm on session 15 of 20 today. Get an extra day off with bank holiday Monday - whoop whoop! Which is great as quite honestly I could rip my skin off right now it is so itchy (thank goodness for hydrocortisone cream and aloe vera!) I get tired by the end of each week too and quite nauseous and have a bloody cold now on top πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺ but generally recover over the weekend so things not too bad. 

Hope you all have a good weekend. Have a great Easter! 🍫🐣 😁

Emma x

Well done Roxanne doing your 10,000 steps every day, hope you enjoyed your Easter egg.

Otter, it will all be over this time next week then and a nice reflexology session to look forward to. The tiredness has definitely hit me now, I don't even have the energy to turn over in bed lol

I have my follow-up appointment with my Consultant/Surgeon today and then its my very last radiotherapy session at 7pm. I am a bit apprehensive but excited as well.

Have a great day everyone.

Kaz xx

Hi Kaz

Glad you enjoyed your concert

I had my 10 today and unit are now working Good Friday so have one then my review meeting is on Tuesday then final one next Thursday so just a week to go😊😊😊

Then straight after last one I have got a Reflexology session at Macmillan πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

Hope you are all having a good day and yes the tiredness is creeping in πŸ›πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Kaz, so glad you had a good time, chin-up you've nearly finished.

got myself a big easter egg today as a trea for not snapping at anyone this week and doing 10,000 steps each day this week. 

My skin's turning brown πŸ˜•

Thanks Roxanne,

We got to my appointment early and I was called in more or less straight away so we were finished by the time of my appointment. Had a fantastic night watching Sam Smith but think the tiredness is suddenly hitting me. 

14th session later today then my final one tomorrow, feels a bit weird but nice to be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Have a nice day everyone,

Kaz xx

And another one ticked off the list πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ

Twistie, i hope you get seen on time and i hope Sam S is spectacular πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘

Hi everyone,

12 of 15 today and also had my review which i should have had last week. The Radiologist and the review nurse are very happy with how my skin is at the moment, lets hope this continues and I don't have too many side effects. Feeling a bit more tired but thats always been expected anyway.

Tomorrow they have promised to have my appointment on time as I am going to see Sam Smith with my daughter, hopefully we won't get stuck in the rush hour traffic.

Can't believe quite how quick these sessions have gone even with having delays with broken machine.

Good luck to everyone.

Kaz xx

Hi 

4 of 15 for me today. I was veryπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Štoday. The Rad team were fine but I'm  super 😐i was in and out in less than 15 mins.

On the bright side i did 10,000 steps. Have to admit i seem to have a fatigue issue in the late afternoon.

good luck with your planning meeting tomorrow, Claire

good luck everyone πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ

Hi all

Hope you are enjoying the sunshine 🌞🌞🌞🌞

Had 8 of 15 today so half way 😊😊😎😎

A little sore but gel is helping to relieve it and also going bra less when I can

πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜

Hi. I have my planning meeting tomorrow too. Good luck

Kaz, Otter - Thanks for the advice. That's on my shopping list for Monday and another reason to  walk to the shops. πŸ˜‰ xx

Yes the Aloe Vera gel definitely works as I was feeling sore but after applying the gel for the last 4 days it's a lot better

Tip keep it in the fridge as helps cool down especially straight after treatment

Hope you all have a god weekend

Minus an hour's sleep πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒ

Roxanne have you tried the 99.9% Aloe Vera Gel if you're feeling sore? Definitely carry on with the exercises and don't forget to drink lots of water too as that helps. I hope you're feeling a bit more up than down soon and good luck for the rest of your treatment.

Kaz xx

Kaz, that is good news. You're  nearing the end of your journey with only 4 treatments left and ive just started mine, treatment number 4 is on Monday.

Emotionally I'm up and down, currently down and feeling sore.. πŸ™…πŸ™†πŸ™‡ im concentrating on my stretches and doing 10,000 steps. Wish me luck.

Hi Ladies,

My session for yesterday was cancelled but I had my 11th session today instead, they opened up as they had got so behind with one machine broken. The machine is now fixed so hopefully no further delays next week for my final 4 sessions.

Have a nice weekend,

Kaz xx

Hi Ali

Sorry you had a bad day and you missed the call it seems all we do is wait around to be seen and to get results

Hope you have a better weekend and you aren't getting too many SE's

πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

Hi ladies. I'm completely fed up today. Rads number 9 of 20 and they were running an hour late. So got stuck in traffic getting home and then find I had missed a phone call from the genetics councillor by half an hour and she is now on leave until 3 April. I've been chasing my results for the last 2 weeks as I had the blood test nearly 4 months ago πŸ˜”. Hope all you ladies are having a better day x
Community Champion

LondonCarola - and it gets harder and sore after rads! So keep up with a gentle massage in the seroma area with moisturiser.
Community Champion

Excellent advice from Ladybowler - to keep up the exercises - I'm three months post-rads (having had chemo, mx and complete lymph removal followed by 15 rads) and I'm now finding the stiffness a bit more of a problem - but post-surgery exercises every day (plus regular stretches throughout the day) really do help and is the only cure it would appear! Jay68 x
Community Champion

Notherngal

Hello and welcome to the group. 

I can understand what you mean, it is looking forward to being at the end of active treatment and that light will be shining brightly πŸ™‚

Sounds like it was a good idea you not going back to work because you have really given yourself time to heal after having to deal with both of them.

Helena xx

Hi NorthernGal 

Welcome to our little group and yes it is One hell of a journey

Don't feel guilty about not going back to work l had my surgery 4 the September and wasn't planning to go back to work until after Rads but then was told after my two week appointment I might need chemo so kind of flipped at the news so went back to work until they had the results from the oncotype test

I then got a infection and a seroma so it probably was a good idea going back so have know been off since I started chemo and don't plan to go back till early May to give myself time to get over everything and get my strength back

Off for Number 7 so about half way through

Hope everyone has a good day

πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜

Hello everyone

I'll be joining some of you through the rads journey. My first of 15 sessions starts 27th March. It seems ages since my surgery on 12th Dec. That said, I had a bit of a set back with seroma and haematoma but this has cleared now. I've been taking letrozole for 5 weeks with no SE to speak of.

Actually I'm looking forward to the treatment, maybe I'm a bit weird! But what this means for me is that the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer Smiley Happy I do feel that inbetween the wait I could have gone back to work but also realise I needed this time to concentrate on my healing. I'm also enjoying being at home doing things that I haven't had the time to do especially lots of  baking Smiley LOL It's one hell of a journey!

Love and hugs xx

Hi everyone

8 of 15 done today!

Still posting on Facebook every day. Checking into the Guy's Cancer Centre and then telling people which number I am at now. I think it really helps me make some sense of the journey and not feel so alone. it helps to connect here too. A lot of my friends have also had breast cancer and I hope it has enabled them to join in the conversation rather than enduring things in silence.

I'm beginning to be a bit stiff and sore now. Doing the exercises. Bought some fresh turmeric and ginger today and made myself a turmeric latte - it's supposed to help. Mainly stained my fingers yellow - although it was rather nice - goodness knows what it's done to my insides! They serve a Turmeric Steamer at the Cancer Centre in the cafe. Supposed to be full of antitox things and good against cancer - not sure I believe any of that. Anyone else tried it?

Liz

Community Champion

Kaz

I know and I was stressing about it, but I cant change it so I have just accepted it now.

With regard to the shoulder stiffness, I was told to carry on doing the exercises I was given after my op throughout my rads in order to keep the shoulder a bit more supple, I actually find sometimes now I still get a bit of stiffness but as soon as I do them for a couple of days it seems to ease it. 

Helena xxx

I started my fifteen session radiotherapy on Monday 19th March.  Everything is ok at the moment, although the seroma I had seems to have become harder and a bit sore already.

Helena

Wouldn't you think the policy would be the same at all hospitals, 18 months is a long time to wait for your first mammo afterwards. I know it will be a worry for you but hopefully it will just be routine and all will be well. I have only had one appointment with my Oncologist which was to get the results of the Oncotype test, all of my other appointments have been with my Surgeon/Consultant so not so sure what the policy will be at my hospital other than I have been told I will have mammograms every year.

The physiotherapist from the Radiology department has rang me this afternoon (I originally had an appointment this afternoon before my radiotherapy but they had to move my rads appointment because of the ongoing machine not working so cancelled the physio) and she said its quite common to get some stiffness of the shoulder round about half way through the treatment so she has told me to do some more exercises and she has left a booklet for me with the pictures when I go this afternoon. She did say if I was struggling I can make an appointment for some physio with her so I will just see how it goes from now.

Kaz xx

Community Champion

Otter

it is lovely here today and for the first time this year I have got washing on the line.  Okay I know it wont dry but it is just lovely being able to do it, will finish it off in the drier later just makes you start to believe that spring is on its way.

Whilst I was out there I noticed my daffs and other plants are now starting to grow, oh I love this time of the year πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Helena xxx

Hi ladies

I would echo Jackie comments I don't know how I would have got through this journey without the different threads for surgery chemo and now rads and all the lovely ladies that have help support each other through πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜

I had a trainee today so took slot longer to get me in position as she kept moving me around too far then getting me all over the place so normal one had to take over in the end xx I didn't mind too much as I know they have to learn

Hope everyone is ok and getting some β›…πŸŒž

Community Champion

Kaz

I know I have my first mammo post op next month, it is 18 months for me but that is the policy at my hospital.  I have an appointment with my oncologist a couple of weeks later.  After this I will have an annual mammogram and oncologist appointment for another 4 years.  I am assuming that it will follow the same pattern, mammo in the April followed by Onc appointment a few weeks later.

I know it took me a few sessions to get used to "not" helping them get me into position, they used to say to me to flop on the bed, not an easy thing to do when it is as hard as it is as well. 

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Jackie

Oh thank you that is really lovely of you to say, the same as all the other wonderful ladies on here, I am hopefully giving back some of the fabulous support I got from the ladies who were further on than me when I first joined xxx

Good luck for today and just think, yay, no more travelling to and from the hospital after torday, what on earth will you do with your time!!  πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚  Remember to keep up the regime for the next couple of weeks though as you will still be feeling the effects, see still being mumsie xxx

Helena xxx

Well done Jaxxi, hope your last session goes well.

I didn't get home until 9pm last night. For some reason it took half an hour to get me in the right position, I think it was mostly my fault I just could not relax my shoulder, I'm feeling really tense constantly. Hopefully it won't take as long today, I am over half way through now.

I can understand it must be weird when all active treatment is finished, I'm pretty certain I will feel a bit scared and apprehensive. I am going for my follow up appointment with my consultant the day before I finish my last session, will I just have more routine mammograms after that or do you tend to have other appointments with consultant?

Good luck ladies,

Kaz xx

Thank you ladies, πŸ’•reading these posts since I found you in November, they have been invaluable and got me through the rough bits, the funny bits and given me a quiet relief that we are not alone. Although non of us wanted to be here, there is comforting support from some amazing people, who understand completely, some conversations you can’t seem to have with your family and friends, get answered with a deep understanding of what we are going through β€œLadybowler” there for everoneπŸ’œ I hope you realise the impact you haveπŸ’œThank you and I wish all you lovely people the very best x love and best wishes Jackie x
Community Champion

Jaxxi

Yay tomorrow is the end of active treatment for you πŸ™‚

I remember when I was walking back to the car after my last one I just burst into tears, I think it was the relief of knowing that was it, and I would not have to do that journey every day.  It was so lovely to wake up the next morning knowing my life was not controlled by that appointment every day.

I finished rads in January last year and I have to say bc is no longer the first and last thing I think about in a day, more so it is about enjoying and making the most of my life.

Hope you have something nice planned tomorrow to celebrate

Helena xx

Hi Jaxxi

Well done on nearly getting to the finish line πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ†πŸŽ†πŸŽ†πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€— tomorrow

I know what you mean about not being checked all the time but will also be nice to get back to work and as you say try to get back to what will be our new normal

Good luck for last ☒☒☒☒😎😎😎😎 tomorrow xxxxx 

Hi haven’t posted for a while, hope everyone is getting on and things are going well for you all. 19/20 done , last booster, finish tomorrow, I have felt ok throughout, and managed to work through. Have a red boob, much darker underarm, itchy and a bit spotty ! apparently I’m putting to much moisturiser on!! Using Doublebase gel and foam padding to stop the friction. as sore underarm and boob, but have to wear bra at work- not a good look if I didn’t!! Strange, but a little nervous about finishing and not having people checking me every day. Last couple of months have been a blur, as I’m sure they are for everyone- looking forward to not actually thinking about cancer everyday, and getting on with normal πŸ€ͺ. Good luck everyone x
Community Champion

Kaz

Phew thats a late one, however it is better than hanging around and hopefully the traffic will be a lot quieter, but yay you are on the homeward run now as well xx

Otter,

I hope your pain subsides soon. I woke up in the night feeling a bit sore too but seems ok now.

I was just about to get changed to go for my appointment a few minutes ago and the phone rang, one machine still down so they have delayed my appointment to save me hanging around there, now got to be there for 7:45pm! 8th session today of 15 and I so can't wait to get them all out of the way.

Hope everything going well for everyone.

Kaz xx

Community Champion

Otter

Mention it to your rads team tomorrow, they will probably tell you it is quite normal but they do like to know how you are feeling so worth a mention.

Helena xx