Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next step

8 REPLIES 8
Viewpoint

Re: Next step

Hi

I wasn’t asked to do lateral flow tests.  I did ask what would happen if I was told to self isolate and the answer was - we won’t stop the radio once it’s started.  Even if I have COVID they will find a way round.  That said, I do regular LFT myself routinely. 

A

Sarahx

Hi,

I start my radiotherapy next tuesday, for 5 days, so guessing the last session will be the following monday! Mine is the left side so taught to do breath holding.

I haven't been asked to do lateral flow tests but doing them regularly anyway, and no mention of PCR test before RT starts. 

My Oncologist advised me to use E45 cream which I have been using twice a day to make sure skin moisturised & supple. 

Good luck all, we've got this!

Sarah xx

jacqu

Hi Jackb

Thanks for the tips. 

Received my RT dates- three sessions beginning middle of next week, then a weekend break followed by the remaining two sessions. I’m also right side but there was no mention of breath holding, perhaps my hospital still only do it for left sides. Have PCR test on Sunday at hospital. Anyone else been asked to do lateral flow tests at home during their RT? Something else on the shopping list!

Jacqu

Viewpoint

Hi All

i had my CT scan and planning meeting this week. CT wasn’t a problem but I didn’t have any tattoos as the radiographer said they didn’t use them there. 

my radiotherapy will start in a couple of weeks bug I’m still having 4 weeks. I had heard people having less but the radiographer said it’s down to the dr to decide depending on your cancer type.  I am so grateful that I don’t need chemo I’ll take 4weeks of radio.  My mantra so far has been - if this is the worst that’s to come I’m doing well.  Having clear margins and lymph nodes were early wins, being HER2- was great and a low onco score was even better to lead to just radio. I appreciate not everyone has such a good outcome. 

I am anastrozole and so far so good but it’s only been a week!  Trying to exercise regularly to keep the weight down! 

one question, what cream do people use?

thanks

A

Jackb

I guess your having your radiotherapy this week, (or soon). I had mine 4 weeks ago. It was also just the 5 days.I was right side, they also do a breath hold now on this side...all new tech.  I took leg warmers as it can be cool in the sessions. Take your cream with you and apply as soon as you finish each session. Don't get your affected side in the sun, even before treatment. 

I'm sorry I can't help with Letrozole, my mum is taken it (over 2 years now) and is ok. I'm taking Tamoxifen and now on Zoladex to suppress the ovaries. 

Do as much exercise as you can, that's what I have focused on. The skin and tissue will shrink and tighten, but keep it moisturised and exercised.

jacqu

Hi Sarah

Had my planning CT scan yesterday, everyone was lovely and same as you found, explained everything, made sure I was comfortable, I’m a shorty and needed extra padding  under my back. I was surprised the tattoos are so faint, look just like pencil marks, I thought they’d be bright blue or something! 😁 Waiting now for my RT appointments to come in post. 

I also picked up my Letrozole prescription the consultant had left at the hospital pharmacy...a whole other “headache” if you happen to see my posts in the hormone therapy section!

Best wishes 

Jacqu x

Sarahx

Hi jacqu,

I had my radiotherapy planning CT scan last week, the radiographer was great, explaining everything that was going to happen. I will also be having the 5 day course of radiotherapy, starting at the beginning of August. I think the 5 days is now becoming the preferred therapy over 15 days. 

I am peri menopausal so have now started taking tamoxifen, and no new side effects that I have noticed. My sleep is already very disturbed due to hot sweats but that is menopause rather than medication!! 

Wishing you luck with your planning appointment,

Sarah xx

ZoeK_BCN
Community Manager

Hi jacqu,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry you haven't had any response yet. I am hoping my response will help our members to see your post and hare their experience.

In the meantime, please remember that for any clinical questions, our breast care nurses are here and happy to talk things through.

Sending you our warmest wishes,

Zoe

jacqu

Next step

Following surgery in May, I now have a radiotherapy planning appointment in two weeks with radiotherapy treatment beginning two weeks later. I was surprised to be told that I will be having just one week of radiotherapy (not that I want more) but doctor also wanted to give me a prescription for Letrozole starting immediately, however I asked for time to read up about it as I wasn’t told anything really about hormone therapy at a previous appointment. I know hormone therapy is to prevent reoccurrence but I’m really worried about side effects, specifically joint pain and sleep problems (barely sleeping more than 4-5 hours as it is, shattered).

(DCIS, grade 2, stage 1. Lumpectomy, clear margins, 0/3 node negative, ER+ PR+ HER-, Onco test result- low risk)