Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oncology appointment

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Oncology appointment

Hi MaggieG,

I went through mine and it went smoothly.

Mostly I was tired however 1 hour drive to get there and back even if I wasn't driving might not be the best condition and the fact that I wasn't sleeping very well didn't help either however it is now a week and compare to the operation and recovery it was not a bad experience. 

The consultant will tell you to drink lot of water\herbal tea (at least 2 litres per day) so make sure you do and ye moisturise, moisturise, moisturise!

It's now 10 days since my last session, started to sleep well after 4-5 days but be aware that it can affect people differently. I didn't not feel any pain and so far my skin looks good. 

I experience fatigue from time to time but going out for a ten minutes walk and fresh, more if you can push yourself, helps a lot!

Take care and best wishes. xxx

Highlighted

Thank you so much for your reply I appreciate the information you have given me so much 
Best wishes xxx

Highlighted

Hi Maggie

Presumably you’ve had all the necessary tests/surgery for them to have arrived at the conclusion that radiotherapy is your way forward? If that’s the case, I don’t think any nasty little tests will be waiting to hijack you so this will be a face-to-face discussion about your diagnosis, how you will benefit from radiotherapy and what the rest of your treatment plan will entail. This is the time for you to go armed with all your questions (on paper, as the brain tends to be less reliable when there’s an element of fear).

Think very carefully about how much you want to know and how much it’s necessary to know because oncologists talk a different language sometimes where words we have taken for granted in the past take on a whole new significance and many of us go away and fret, commit the cardinal sin of googling and then end up even more worried! If you have further questions or doubts, ask your breast care nurse or one of the nurses at the number above (they are marvellous) or even ask in the forum for opinions - but please don’t google anything. I was offered the opportunity to look at the statistics and accepted. Fortunately I was in a brain fog so I took nothing in but it was hard for my husband and caused him a lot of long-term stress 😞  After that, I adopted the approach of just listening.

You’ll have a preliminary appointment with a breast care nurse in radiology before treatment when you can ask about the practicalities (I found it all a very smooth ride after chemo but others find it hard, so you have no way of knowing how it will be for you) and then that’s it - assume the position every day for the next three weeks and moisturise, moisturise, moisturise!

I wish you all the best and hope your experience is as simple as mine was x

Highlighted

Oncology appointment

I have my  first appointment with my oncologist this week I am Going to be receiving radiotherapy not quite sure what the first consultation will involve Anybody advise me please x