Pain and discomfort weeks after radiotherapy

I had my last radiotherapy session on 7th September (following a total mastectomy - no reconstruction) and initially had some mild skin irritation and fatigue which improved after a couple of weeks. However, this past week the surgery site has become really hot and red, tight and hard, and I’m in agony, with constant shooting pains. Paracetamol and ibuprofen is barely taking the edge off it. Is this normal or is there a chance I could have an infection. I’m going to phone my breast cancer nurse on Monday but just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced something similar.

Thanks

Hi Maggles

Yes.

I had a rotten experience with chemo so was already fatigued but I found radiotherapy a walk in the park - a little itchy patch front and back and that was it. Then about two months later, the pain set in - burning, searing pains along the muscles above and below my scar and at the side, exactly where the tattoo is. It felt like being microwaved from the inside. It’s not uncommon for new reactions to set in later, as your leaflet will tell you. That doesn’t mean you put up with it!

My GP prescribed gabapentin and then pregabalin which helped reduce the level of pain. Amitryptiline is another medication which works well with this kind of pain. I have to say that mine has continued BUT I had chemo which left me with neuropathy so my perception of pain is exaggerated now  

Talking to your breast care nurse is the wise thing to do but I’d also suggest requesting an emergency appointment with your GP. You may only need something short-term. Why put up with it! Meantime, I find circular massage (skin on skin) around the area helps disperse the pain a bit - but it’s trial and error. Best of luck x