cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy May 19

Highlighted

Re: Radiotherapy May 19

Livelifetothefull 

You and your Mum are really going through it. It’s understandable you feel like you do. I start my Radiotherapy the day before you so we can hold hands together! I’m due to start Letrazole soon as I’m post menopausal so am expecting to have a few side effects and will probably tearful too. Do you have a Breadt Cancer Nurse you can talk to? They will be able t reassure you xxx. Sending you a big hug 

Highlighted
Community Champion

lifetothefull

Hello and welcome to the forum.  Gosh you and your mum are going through it, but you have found this lovely forum where you will both get lots of help and support from the wonderful ladies on here.

I remember when I first started tamoxifen I was very tearful and would cry even when someone said something nice to me but after about 8 weeks it did start to settle down.  Also remember you have been through so much already you are allowed to have wobbly days, we all know about them on here. It wont be long before you are at the end of your rads and the light will be shining bright at the end of the tunnel.

Sending you a pair of our virtual big pants which we send to ladies who are struggling a bit, they have very deep pockets so that we can all climb in and hold your hands, plus hopefully they will make you smile.  Oh by the way they are freshly laundered as well.

Helena xxtough pants.jpg

Highlighted

Hi

Me & my mum (who was diagnosed with breast cancer the week after me- both had WLE & SNB), both had our CT planning appointment last week and start Radiotherapy 21/5/19 for 15 sessions.  We are supporting each other through this horrible journey of cancer & treatment. I have found this site so useful and informative , and often reassuring at times when low. 

My mum appears to be coping great & I thought I was, but I’m so emotional & tired just recently & that’s before starting Radiotherapy. I started Tamoxifen 3 weeks ago, it’s making me feel drained and fed up,  feel like crying all the time- which is not me.  Anybody else feel like this on Tamoxifen ?. 

Highlighted

Pleased to report my planning appt was completed successfully yesterday- and it was the first appt I have managed without crying!  So I'll take that as a positive.

Has anyone had any lymph problems in the body rather than their arm?  I have tenderness under my breast over my rib cage and down my back and side. Physio has confirmed it's lymphatic but now I'm worried RT might make is it worse and trigger lymphedema proper.  I'm going to cross post this on the Lymph thread too.

Highlighted

I've done 5 out of 20 Zaps. I, too, was bricking it for my first appointment on Monday. I was diagnosed Christmas Eve then given lots of my favourite body lotions, washes etc for Christmas. They've been put away and following Pinklily's post on 6.2.19 I went to my gp and got a "free" prescription for Zeroveen. I totally agree that nobody seems to want to name a product that can be used. Any information has been as long as it's SLS Free. But staff in the chemists don't know what products are SLS free. Having Epilepsy, I can say I find the actual process of a radiotherapy treatment a lot easier than a brain MRI, so I'm quite easy about my appointments now. I just sing in my head while in the room. I'm sure it's pure coincidence but about 3.00am I had an increasing pain through the ribs on my bad side. I rarely use pain killers as I'm very sensitive to drugs, but I took 2. All gone when I woke at 7.00am.  Hope you all keep comfortably cool today and enjoy your weekend off. Hugs

Highlighted

Glad to realise I’m not the only one struggling with rt. I’m halfway through, should finish 15th May. Last round of docetaxol was cancelled due to side effects and started anastrozole on Easter Monday. Impossible to know what causes what. I was given a leaflet to contact talking therapies but can’t bring myself to call. Some days are better than others - still feels like a rollercoaster, and I never did like them!!

Hope we all cope better soon.xx

Highlighted

Ajay

So true. Funny that we rarely hear about the tearful / emotional impact of RT, rather that people breeze through it so that is the expectation to live up to. Well jolly well done to those that do.

I've decided to delay going back to work until well after RT on the advice of a rather lovely Registrar after she calmed me down last week. Felt huge relief once I'd made that decision but now have even more time to fill!. Sorry you are having to work but hope that you have an understanding employer and that you have some flexibility.

Highlighted

@TW142 wrote:

Drummerswiddow- at least ours not just me but sorry you too were spooked.

Planning is this pm. Just been to unscheduled physio because of cording. More tears so it doesn't auger well for this pm!

@Drummerswidow wrote:

TW142.

i wish people would stop telling me this is the ‘easy’ bit! I got told that for my Taxol chemo and it’s wiped me out!! It’s all a bit daunting and I don’t blame you for freaking out. Hope they’ve managed to do your planning now.m 

.  When will this end?

Hi,

I thought I was OK until the therapeutic radiographer asked me how I was.  I'm trying CBT. It may be some time before I feel my normal self again. I think we can forget what we've been through when we're in the whirlwind of appointments.I'm finding it hard to relax and issues at work are just compounding it. So, I'm right with you, Cancer is traumatic and if RT is the last treatment for you it doesn't mean life becomes normal immediately. I'm having to work at getting through this, I even got upset in the car this morning on my way to RT about something unrelated. There have been lots of tears this week. I'm going to try to be kinder to myself.Deep breaths when you feel stressed later. It's just a blip, you've coped with stressful times before, we can do it!😘

Highlighted

Drummerswiddow- at least ours not just me but sorry you too were spooked.

Planning is this pm. Just been to unscheduled physio because of cording. More tears so it doesn't auger well for this pm!

@Drummerswidow wrote:

TW142.

i wish people would stop telling me this is the ‘easy’ bit! I got told that for my Taxol chemo and it’s wiped me out!! It’s all a bit daunting and I don’t blame you for freaking out. Hope they’ve managed to do your planning now.m 

.  When will this end?

Highlighted

TW142.

Highlighted

I share your pain!  I have my second attempt at planning today as the first had to be abandoned when they decided my seroma hadn't gone down quite enough. However, that was after I had completely freaked out walking into the CT scanning room.  I guess it all got to me. Has anyone else experienced the same?  Can't see any other posts about this so guess I'm just over anxious and irrational about this 'Easy' bit.

Highlighted

Hi 

I was told to stop using Bio oil until after the RT finished and not to use cream directly before treatment.

It's ridiculous that there isn't a standard policy.I have a therapeutic radiographer who I cannot praise enough. She is a huge support.

Highlighted

Hi All

will investigate creams further, no one seems to have really looked at my breast just the wounds - it's all a bit worrying.

Not sure why I have to have a boost (oestrogen +ive HER2 -ive oncotypeDX 16.)

This site has been a revelation to me and a great help so far.

Ta everybody.x 

Highlighted

Hi All.  Interesting different areas with different treatment and advice. When I went on Monday for planning and I wasn’t given any advice regarding skin care and creams. In fact they weren’t happy when I got my notebook out with my questions! As an ex nurse with many years working in the NHS I wasn’t too impressed. 

Highlighted

Hi everyone, 

I've just been told that I will be starting rads on the 15th and so am joining you lovely ladies. 🤩 I've already had chemo and surgery (lumpectomy and SNB) and this is the last bit of treatment. As I'm triple negative I am getting a bonus week of rads, lucky me 😂, and will have 20 treatments. I've got my CT scan tomorrow, then just over a week before I start. Most people seem to find rads much easier to cope with than chemo or surgery, so fingers crossed 🤞. I've heard E45 works really well and that it's best to pile it on several times a day, both before and after treatment, but I guess the nurses will tell me what to do. I've been using Vitamin E oil on my scars, which has the advantage over bio oil of not having anything added but will check with the nurses whether I can continue to use it during rads.

It will be such a relief to get this over and done with. Roll on a treatment-free summer! 🌞

Gaby 

Highlighted

Hi

I'm getting my 4th radio of 15 today. I'm finding it much harder than chemo - my brain keeps churning up images of burnt flesh... My skin is fine!

Highlighted

Evening everyone! 

Well, I am back from my first Radiotherapy and apart from the department running and hour late, broken machine, it was very simple and straight forward. As everyone says, it takes time to line you up, but the actual zapping was only a couple of minutes. They spent more time making sure i understood what was happening and which moisturisers to use etc. All very professional. 

I too have been using bio oil, but stopped when the planning meeting team ask me to use something like Aveeno or E45. I understand Aloe Vera is good too. 

I wouldn’t worry about your lumps and bumps itsallgonetu ( great name😁) My Surgeon said it would soften out eventually!  But the radiotherapy team will check your scar is healed sufficiently. 

1 down 14 to go.👍🤞

Best wishes to you all. 🤗😘

Highlighted

Hi itsallgonetu

Hope all is going well for you, probably best to ask your Radiotherapy team about using oils and creams during treatment. 

I personally would not use Bio oil, petroleum is the first ingredient, and it would interfere with the absorption of the other oils. 

Petroleum is a mineral oil, which irritates the skin. 

Good luck for the rest of your treatments, it’s nearly over. 

Highlighted

Hello this is my first post although I've been reading lots of your posts over the last week or so.

I'm not very techie so it may all go horribly wrong!

I start my radiotherapy on Wed 8th May I will be 11 weeks post op-I am well healed up but quite lumpy and bumpy (is this normal?) I have been massaging with bio oil 3 times a day for the past 6 weeks and things still remain sore.

Can I continue to massage once my treatment starts if it's not too uncomfortable?

Can I continue to use my usual lovely smellies on the rest of my body if I avoid my naughty boob side?

Really bricking it if I'm honest!

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Ladies 🎀

I've just started my radiotherapy, hope you dont mind me joining you...I've had 6 out of 15 sessions! 💪🏻

My skin is doing okay up to now...Its a bit swollen around my wound but the radiologist said that it would swell up.(My mx wound is still healing...I'm only 8 weeks post-op today👙)..its also a little bit pink by the time I get home but I've been re-applying the moisturiser and it's holding out so fingers crossed it's going to be okay! 

Lining you up on the bed takes longer than the rads itself! 

Badboob...best wishes for today...I'm sure you'll be fine! 🎀🌸💪🏻

Best wishes to all you other Ladies too

Have a good day 🎀🌸💕

Highlighted

I’ve got my oncologist appointment on the 16th so also hoping to start this month and in a strange way I’m also looking forward to it, mainly to finish off what has been a whirlwind since being diagnosed!

best of luck today and throughout your radiotherapy x

Highlighted

Hi Badboob.

Hope all goes well tomorrow for you.  I am starting on the 20th May and having 15 sessions. Had my CT and planning yesterday. Felt like a lump of meat on a slab tbh all the pulling and pushing to get me in the right place! 

Highlighted

Radiotherapy May 19

Hello everyone who will be having radiotherapy this month. I have my first dose tomorrow and am looking forward to it in a strange way. 😁 it’s been a long journey, but I now feel that I am at last coming to an end of this nightmare. 

I have been reading back back some of the tips and hopefully my treatment will go smoothly.

Best of luck to everyone, looking forward to ‘meeting’ you all.

Hugs 😘🤗