Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy May 19

Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Radiotherapy May 19

Hi rosieposie

I’m a bravissimo girl also due to my size 34hh.  Different situ to yourself as I didn’t need mastectomy. I took the wires out of all my old bras and it worked well for me.  I am now back in underwired but not all the time as my scar is at the bottom and near to where the wires now seem to want to sit. Think it’s the lob sided bit as surgery boob looks like it’s 21 and the other is 63 😂😂 and even after 12 month it is still very tender so do have to be careful.  Good idea on the chilled Booby pads.    Have a great day 💓💓

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Annietravel and welcome to the forum.  I was a lurker for weeks and weeks before I posted anything but learnt so much from just reading the threads and people’s experiences and advise, helped a lot. I then posted something and the rest is history lol I never shut up😂😂.   You on that final journey to the end of active treatment.  How many sessions are you having?   Best advice keep up the fluids and exercise and cream if you are going to use cream.    Good Luck with all your sessions 💓

Highlighted

Rosiepop

Glad you are not suffering too much from Rads.  

I sympathise with the bra scenario! I’ve had a mastectomy and am a size 38F. So going without a bra is not something I cherish especially as I’m going to be lopsided! I already know a few people who think my face has slipped to where my left boob used to be! 

Highlighted

I started my radiotherapy last week and had my sixth session today.  So far just a bit of twingling  going on.  Great to read about everyone’s experiences here and to feel less alone.

I was in the Bravissimo shop searching for comfortable bras yesterday and wanted to pass on some info. from a lady I met there, for anyone who is suffering from the radiotherapy burning/heat - she suggested using one of the hot/cold pads nursing mothers can use when they have sore boobs/mastitis etc.  They are shaped for breasts and they go in the freezer for two hours before you use them.  I bought one yesterday from John Lewis on a ‘just in case’ basis!   My younger sister had radiotherapy earlier  this year and was very uncomfortable with the skin burning.  She slathered on loads of different oils but I am a bit wary and hoping to just stick with the Q.V. cream they have given me.

Also, I’m struggling with finding wearable non-wired bras.  I’m a 30 HH and it seems an impossible feat. I have just bought a Panache underwired (but covered in gel cushioning apparently!) sports bra mainly for the fact that it’s cups are completely seam free and it feels, at first wear, really comfortable but not sure how I will fare if my boob starts to heat up.  I have bought it a size up, 32, to be a more relaxed fit. Does anybody else have this problem?  If so, how are you managing?  I can’t  imagine going without a bra, partly because I think it would be massively uncomfortable but also I would be far too self-conscious!

Highlighted

Hello lovely people,

I started rads today and have been reading your posts with so many hints and tips and such support for the last few weeks. It is great to at last get started - surgery was earlier Feb and it has been a rollercoaster wait.

It went ok and such an emotional relief to have got one session over with. I too feel very emotional at odd times- such as during CT planning. Even took someone's advice here about tea and big bit of cake after!

These forums have been a lifesaver right from diagnosis but this is my very first post ever on any forum - slightly too many firsts since January really.

😘to all radiotherapy  May 19 

Highlighted

Really sorry to hear this. That's pretty poor. Here's hoping you have a more smiley team tomorrow- I met 2 new team members today.  You could always consider talking to the PALS office at your hospital if it doesn't improve. It is supposed to be the caring profession after all!

Highlighted

Hi All.

Rads went okay today. They have changed the time for tomorrow. It was a long day as I caught up in the school run driving home.

What a miserable bunch they are there. They don’t explain what’s happening or what you need to do. I sound a right moaning Minnie but a smile and some reassurance today would have gone a long way. Never mind roll on the 10th June. 

Highlighted

Hi Drummerswidow

Best of luck for today.  Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for you.

Smiley Wink

HeartFiona xxx

Highlighted

Hi Badboob, Ajay, P67 and TW142.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.

Hopefully it will be better than the planning. They may even get my name right and not call me by another patients name! Didn’t exactly fill me with confidence that they knew what they were doing.

I’ll let you know how I get on xxx

Highlighted

Hi Drummerswiddow,

P67Anne is right as however trite this may sound,  it does get easier after the first one. I started last week.  With me, it was fear of the unknown but with luck you will have friendly radiographers who will put you at ease. Rest assured they do seem to know what they are doing (despite mine being impossibly young!).  True, It's not an altogether pleasant experience but it is bearable and over very quickly- you will be out before you know it!

Good luck and do check in here for further mutual support. I've certainly found it very helpful when I've felt a bit wobbly.

Highlighted

Thinking of you for tomorrow. I didn't have Chemo but Rads are not as difficult as Chemo. 

Once you've had the first you'll feel less anxious I think.

Let us know how it goes 💕🌞

Highlighted

Hi Drummerswidow, 

Best wishes for your first rads tomorrow. Once you get the first one out of the way, it gets a bit easier. It also gets quicker after the 1st & 2nd sessions. I started mine last week & like you, was dreading it. I’ve tried coping with them by reminding myself why I need them in the first place. Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you x

Highlighted

Hi Drummerswidow, just popped by to wish you luck for tomorrow. I finish this week and so far so good. 😁😁🍾I just hope that you too have an easy ride. So sorry your planning meeting didn’t go well and you are still struggling after chemo, I had my op in between so I had sort of got over chemo before Rads started, 🥴, so be kind to yourself. It a pain having to go everyday, just try and pace yourself. 

Best wishes and a great big hug! 

Highlighted

Tomorrow is my first rads session. Not looking forward to it. I have to go to a different hospital and I didn’t have a good experience when I went for my planning and tattoos. I’m going on my own as the person who was coming with me now can’t make it. I still feel very tired from the chemo so am hoping I don’t feel even more tired with the rads! 

Highlighted

TW142- Don't be too hard on yourself. I got teary in my car on route to the hospital towards the end of my radiotherapy and welled up whilst having the RT. It's normal and OK you've been through a lot xx 💝 

Do something nice for yourself this weekend 😆

Pastamissus- what all done, enjoy your weekend!

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies

all ticking of the days.  Keep up the fluids and cream over the weekend and rest when you can but do your excercises. I find when I hit a tired patch I went for a quick walk but it’s fine also to have a nap 💤 and re charge.  One thing I did start doing after week 1 was take 2 paracetamol an hour before treatment.  Kept the aches and pains away in the neck and shoulders.    You will all soon be ringing that bell. Have a good weekend all x 💓

Highlighted

I was pink after the third session too, but after my fifth today it doesn’t look any worse.

Here’s hoping the weekend off gives it a chance to calm down. Keep slathering that lotion on ladies. Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend xx

Highlighted

Afraid I didn't find today too easy. No particular reason, just woke up tearful which has set the tone of today so all a bit rubbish really 😞

I'm already a bit pink after only 3 sessions so this doesn't auger well. 😞

Still, in an effort to distract myself ( ie force myself out) I'm doing an all day singing workshop with my choir tomorrow - though that will mean facing everyone  after 6 weeks off which might be a bit overwhelming.

Congrats to Pastamissus on finishing! Here's hoping your skin behaves!

Have good weekends all!

Highlighted

Hi everyone, 

Done 3 rads now and so far it's been fine. I've hardly had to wait around and only have a very slight tingling sensation. I do feel very thirsty afterwards and rather sleepy 😉😴. Also, my shoulders and neck are a bit sore, but that's always been my weakness and so I am doing a few stretches immediately after treatment in the changing room 😁. Tried thinking of beach and sunshine today, but that didn't work - I must have absentmindedly held my breath, because the radiographer asked me if I was breathing normally 😂. So I think I had better concentrate on the treatment next time!

Looking forward to a couple of days without treatment now. Have a lovely weekend, ladies. 😍

Gaby xx

Highlighted

Had my last radio this morning 🙂

Starting to get a bit pink and tingly - they warned me it will carry on cooking for another 2 weeks!

This week's were all on time or even early thank goodness

Highlighted

Afternoon everyone, just back from Radiotherapy no 11.

So pleased everyone is doing ok with their radiotherapy.  I think the first session is the worse when you don’t know what to expect. My tip is to lay back and think you are on a nice beach and you are just waiting for someone to bring you a gin and tonic😉.

My skin has hardly reacted! I did ask if this is because I have an olive skin and tan easily. They reckoned it’s genetic and has nothing to do with skin tone. I’m not complaining mind, It’s just not what I was expecting, my boob just has a faint tingling. I am using baby Aveeno, mainly because I bought this during chemo when my skin was so bad, but even that inflamed it. 😱. So I wasn’t going to shell out on yet more stuff! It seems to be working a treat. 

The worse part of Radiotherapy for me is going every day and the random nature of how long you have to wait, sometimes its seconds and the worse was over an hour! I shall be glad to finish next week.

I really hope everyone has an easy time.

Hugs

Highlighted

Glad to hear your 1st session was ok, was thinking of you when I set off for my 3rd. Was feeling anxious as I thought something had shown up on the rads, as I’d received a an appointment to see my onco that I wasn’t expecting. Turned out to be an error & doesn’t want to see me until a couple of weeks after rads have finished. I thought I was dealing with everything ok up to that point but realise some days I feel just as scared as the day I was diagnosed.

Hope that everyone’s rads today go ok. Only side effects I’ve had so far is a slightly pink boob. Am using Aveeno & E45 lotions at least 3 times a day.  xx

Highlighted

Hi GabF

You've been on my mind! Glad to hear you survived today. Mine was OK too . Felt very nervous beforehand but the radiographers were lovely and explained everything very clearly which I found helpful.  However I did  come away feeling very flat at the prospect of this being my life for the next 3 weeks- a huge effort for 3 or so minutes of actual treatment. Could be worse I suppose. I've been planning nice things to do/ people to see etc and am now in danger of doing too much!

Sending good wishes for a smooth run for us both- and indeed anyone else having rads this month! Ann67!

Highlighted
Community Champion

Well done Gaby, one done.....tick it off !

Welcome Fiona.....30th May...Oooo methinks, the same as me, you are going to have the warm weather over your RT period. It has positives and negatives - firstly you can just walk around with no top on lol but it is a bit urrgy when hot and your chest is burning.

Can I make another recommendation, that was made to me, to you both?

The burning isn't just the skin, it is deep inside, it doesn't feel like sunburn more of a 'cooking feeling' (sorry lol). So, lying down with a damp cool flannel across the boob in the evening, and a fan blowing at it, really helps. Pick up the flannel at regular intervals, waft it in the fan breeze, turn it and repeat....

Highlighted

Hi lovely ladies,

Thanks for all your support and encouraging words 😍. I'm feeling much more upbeat and managed to get through those few sad days, not least because of all your positive posts! ❤️ I had my first rads today and everything was fine. Had a bit of a wait due to a broken machine, but otherwise things went very smoothly. I tried to think of this as zapping any miserable rogue cancer cells and a step towards a much brighter cancer free future 🤩. Just need to remember to take some socks tomorrow, as I got cold feet lying on the bed 🤣. TW142, hope you had a reasonable start to your rads today. About the cream, I was told I can use anything gentle like E45 as many times a day as I want, so will be slapping that on before and after.

Gxx

Highlighted

Afternoon Ladies 

I hope you don't mind me joining you, I start RT on 30 May so I've just managed to sneak into this thread 😉 And I see 2 familiar names from Oct 18 chemo so I know I'm in good company 😉

I'm looking forward to getting this bit done as it will mean my triathlon is done and I've just got 3 years of bisphosphonates. I was dreading my CT scan planning appt last week but now that's done and I'm all tattooed up and looking forward to getting my 20 days (I've got 5 days of boosts in there) completed. I'm sure I may not be saying that halfway through RT but my Oct 18 ladies have all gone through or are nearly done and have provided me with lots of advice. I guess there are some advantages to being last 😉 The good news is that it won't take as long as chemo, counting down 18 weeks took forever, but I got there 😁

I love the idea about removing wires from your bras, I hadn't thought of that! I bought some new bras for after all this with no wires and was wondering what to do with all my wired bras. I know what I'm doing this evening 🤣

Take care Ladies and good luck to the new starters and well done to those almost finished 🤗

💜Fiona xxx 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hiyer, I see you've had a few really useful replies, so I will concentrate on the question you ask about 'how did you find rads'? I had rads in May and June 2016. Oddly, and I don't think I'm alone in this, I found it a very positive and almost enjoyable experience. I think it was the release of some tension from the previous surgery and diagnosis, and also the fact that I felt the rads were very positive action in getting rid of any possible future problem. I don't mean that the effects of it were enjoyable, as yep I had a big red square and hot burning tissue, a weepy crunchy nipple and needed some steroid cream, also some glitchy nerve pain and a few other assorted symptoms that one might expect....BUT....the team were so welcoming, and seeing them daily and having that human interaction with other people having treatment felt positive. I honestly laughed through much of my treatment having rads. I felt tried towards the end, but drove myself there and back each day just fine, some people I know carried on working. It is frightening when they show you that sheet , which you sign, of possible side-effects....but three years on, bar no hairs under my right arm, everything has slowly slowly resolved. After rads I felt emotionally strange, sort of cast to the wind and I genuinely missed seeing the team daily.

Highlighted

Hi I’m in a similar position to you, had mastectomy 6 week ago and the oncologist has suggested radiotherapy but at the MDT meeting there were other professionals who didn’t think it would benefit me.  Did you have lymph node involvement? What size tumour did you have?  Hope you don’t mind me asking? 

Val xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Gaby

Your never alone on here Smiley Wink    Rads won't be as bad as you are probably thinking.   If you have a good team then it will be all about you!!.  Getting to the right position and being comfortable is on your say so but I am sure they will ask if you are ok.   After the first few you will get to know the position and they won't have to shuffle you around that much however if you can get on that bed and be bang on first time give a big cheer but not till done lol coz you will move!!.  I was breath hold and that to is fine if you are you left sided.    

Bra's -   I have big boobs and have good bra's.  I took the wire out of some of my older bra's and used them, worked great and felt like I had my normal bra on albeit a bit droopy Smiley LOL  

Can understand where you are coming from on the mood swings and nearing the point of being allowed to get off that roller coaster.   The ole motto goes here -  take each day as it comes one step at a time one day at a time.  Its ok not to be ok and you find you will find you will be able to handle the not so good times much easier.   I am 12 month on and still have my moments but I give myself a talking to and tell myself how far I have come and where I am today sometimes it lifts sometimes not but tomorrow is another day.       Before you know it you will be ringing that bell loud and clear. 

Remember to drink loads and cream.   I used to take my water and cream with me to my sessions just in case it wasn't a quick session.

Take music in with you if allowed.  Mine room had music playing and my challenge was to get done before the song finished lol and yes I did it.   Last one I played my own music.  Robbie "Love my Life" .

Hope your first session goes well and not to uncomfortable for you on that wonderful cast iron bed!. -:)

Highlighted

Gaby

I can absolutely identify with your emptiness so you are not alone. I felt the same after my post surgery discharge, despite a very up beat consultant surgeon and everyone telling me how 'positive' things were looking. I just felt numb and devoid of emotion and my attemots at seeking counselling have been dashed now on 3 occasions. Thank goodness for this site and the wonderful helpline!

Good that you have made a decision on work. As someone who has been made redundant twice, rest assured there is life outside your comfort zone but be sure not to rush into it. I can vouch that the emotions-'loss, despair, anger, hopelessness etc  are  similar.

Hope all goes well today and look forward to your update - only when you're ready.

Highlighted

Gaby 

I know exactly how you feel.  I can’t understand why I don’t feel more upbeat. I’m starting Radiotherapy next Monday maybe that’s why. I am self employed and struggling with money. I would love to stop working or be in a better situation financially to take some of the stress away. 

I have bought a couple of vest type things from M&S though I am big busted too though only on one side at the moment!! 

Highlighted

Hi TW142, 

Nice to hear that I won't be alone on the 15th 😏. I'm really hoping that rads won't be too awful, people seem to have quite mixed experiences. As for bras, some people seem to go without, but like you I'm on the slightly larger side and that's definitely not an option 😉. I've got a couple of M&S ones (not pure cotton 🤨), which were fine after surgery, so I'm hoping they will be ok over the coming weeks.

My moods also swing about quite a bit. I've tried to stay positive throughout chemo and surgery, but right now I'm feeling a bit low and empty. I've actually been given the all clear by my oncologist and feel like I should be grinning from ear to ear, but I'm not 🙁. I've just decided not to return to work, as my old job was very stressful and physically demanding (nursery manager) and although I'm sure it's the right decision, I am still coming to terms with what for me is a really big step. Sorry I'm going on a bit, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that our mood swings are not surprising given what we've been through, we've all had/got them, and we will get through all this rubbish 🤩 💪.

Gaby x

Highlighted

GabyF

I'm also starting radiotherapy on 15th. Not looking forward to it but guess it is a necessary evil to be endured. Happy to soak up the advice here about moisturizing and hydration but I'm a bit stumped on bras if anyone has any advice?  I've found M&S good but my favourite one isn't cotton which I think might cause a few problems down the line. I need good support being 38 D!

Also looking for practical tips as to how to get through the next few weeks. What did you all do to stop your mind running away? What did you think about during the actual sessions?  My moods are still at the violent pendulum stage and can turn on a sixpence (sorry for the mixed metaphors).

Thanks for any help and morale boosting you can offer.

Highlighted
Community Champion

AJAY....best wishes for your last rads session today! 

I know what you mean about feeling embarrassed though... most of my sessions have been evening so it's very quiet...the other night I asked my daughter if she could take a picture then and pretend it  was my last one then no-one could see me!! 

What are we like...we should be proud of ourselves and proud to be ringing the flipping bell!!! Go for it Girl...ring it loud!!

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔

Badboob...hope you're doing well! 😎🌞

Pastamissus...how frustrating having such long delays! I must say, mine have more or less been on time and the once or twice the radiologist from another machine has come for me early! Mostly my appts have been in the evening so I guess they've caught up time wise by the time I get there! Fingers crossed you have better luck today! 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

No.11 for me today...I can't believe how quickly the time has gone...💪🏻🎀

Whilst I'm at the hospital I have to go to the main blood clinic for attempt no.9 to get bloods prior to Herceptin.. if you hear a squeal it'll be me!! I might ask for magic cream!!! 😂😫💉

Have a good day Ladies...🎀🏵💕

Highlighted

Pastamissus. That’s really bad. I think I would have to ask why. Have they given you the right times for your appointments? I know the machines can break down but they usually tell you. Hope tomorrow is not delayed xx

Highlighted

That's awful and very stressful. Why are they running so late? Can you complain to someone?

I'm sorry you're having a bad experience.

xx

Highlighted

another 2 hour delay today....  difficult not to take it personally when you see people who arrived after you getting in before you

Highlighted

@pastasmissus wrote:

2 hour delay on yesterday's radio - was due at 1:10, got called in at 3pm. Why are waiting room chairs so uncomfortable?

It's not the radio that's exhausting me, it's all the waiting around!

That's awful! I've been very lucky with my sessions, even getting in early. Tomorrow I'll be ringing the bell but think I'll feel a bit embarrassed? I know I shouldn't but....

Highlighted

2 hour delay on yesterday's radio - was due at 1:10, got called in at 3pm. Why are waiting room chairs so uncomfortable?

It's not the radio that's exhausting me, it's all the waiting around!

Highlighted

Morning everyone,

Just to butt in with my two penny worth.  I had my first Zometa with chemo No2. I had to see the dentist before I started and he was very helpful. I was warned that I would feel flu like symptoms from the drug but it wouldn’t last long. That is exactly what happened. 2nd night I felt as if I had flu, temperature, shivering, feeling very cold and then hot! Went to bed with socks and fleece on with a paracetamol (naughty with chemo😉) But, by the next day I felt much better and that was it! 

I have been back to the dentist since I finished chemo as I was worried about the damage from both the chemo and Zometa and he was lovely and had a good check up. It’s important to keep up to date with your check ups so your dentist can monitor any changes caused by the drug. 

I am due my second one soon, so presume it means another blinking cannula 🥴! 

Hope everyones Rads are going OK. No 5 for me today!

Hugs

Highlighted
Community Champion

AJAY... yes, it is nice! You're quite right! 

We can compare notes!! 🎀

Keep your chin up! 💪🏻

💗🎀💗🎀💗🎀💗

Highlighted

Hi Aneeebel

I've got to go to the dentist a week on Thursday, pre assessment Friday then have the infusion on the Monday.

Not sure what to expect yet.

It's nice to share this with someone xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

AJAY...I have to have that too... I havent started yet tho as I hadn't had my xrays at the dentist! 

I'm going to the dentist on Friday... see my oncologist on Monday so should sort it out then! 

You're right... it'll feel strange not having appointments! In a way, it feels like you haven't been forgotten about when you have appts to go to...  but yes, you'll be able to get you're head around things and then start moving forward!  (If that makes sense!) 

You'll be pleased to know I didnt scratch anything tonight when I went for my rads!! I was such a good girl! 😂😇

Stay strong Ladies...we're coming out of the other side!

😘😘😘 xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Highlighted

Yes, I will ring the bell 🛎🔔 but I dont know how I'll feel, maybe a bit lost. I have an infusion of zoledronic acid next week and then every 6 months for 3 years. I think I'll need to take some time to think about what's happened to me.

I'm so glad to read all your posts and to share some laughs... thank you all 😘

Highlighted
Community Champion

Glad it's not just me then AJAY... hahaaa! 😂

Oh you'll be ringing the bell soon! 🔔🔔🔔💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻🎀🎀🎀 x

💗💛🧡💜💚

Highlighted

That made me laugh, I always want to scratch my nose as soon as I lie on the RT table!

2 more left for me 😊

Highlighted
Community Champion

Ive defo got my Big Girl Pants on Badboob... I don't have any small ones!!! 👙👙😂😂

Hope everything goes well for you all ladies... don't do what I did and wait until you're lined up to scratch your eyebrow ...or you'll be in SERIOUS trouble!! Hahaaa.. 😂

👙🎀👙🎀👙🎀👙🎀👙

Highlighted

Best wishes to everyone who is restarting or starting Radiotherapy today.

Moisturiser on! Check! Comfy bra on! Check! Lots of water drunk! Check. Big Pants on!Check! Right we are ready to face this girls......... All together now.......💨😂😂😂😂!

See you all on the other side 😘

Hugs

Highlighted

Thanks for your reply ladies

Just having a low ebb.  Thanks for your kind words & the pants did make me smile 😃 xx