cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy May 19

172 REPLIES 172

Re: Radiotherapy May 19

glad you're feeling a bit better!

I think I need to be measured up again for a bra, Ive been using cotton but still had problems and these are  bras I bought for post surgery...

@TW142 wrote:

Thanks AJAY,

Pleased to report things are a little less swollen this morning due to a long self massage session with bio oil last night. This seems to have dispersed a lot of the fluid where I had a seroma and which seems different every day, and also under my arm where, horror or horrors, I discovered 2 thin strings of cording which I thought had been absorbed several weeks ago. Anyway, the upshot of all that is that I think the armpit discomfort is the result of the boob massage in that the fluid had to go somewhere and as I had 2  lymph nodes removed it's trying to find another route. I actually felt and heard the cords snap last night which was a bit of alarming and now there is general tenderness in the whole area which is not surprising!  I'll keep an eye on things and ring the nurse again in a few days if it's not settled.

Sorry to hear about your rash which is not helped by the recent heat no doubt. Have you tried cotton bras? Miss Mary has some good ones.

Early days indeed! Another nurse wasn't the least bit surprised at my discomfort and just said that radiotherapy is the gift that keeps on giving, often for 6 months or so. So more crap to look forward to!!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend,

Deborah

Thanks AJAY,

Pleased to report things are a little less swollen this morning due to a long self massage session with bio oil last night. This seems to have dispersed a lot of the fluid where I had a seroma and which seems different every day, and also under my arm where, horror or horrors, I discovered 2 thin strings of cording which I thought had been absorbed several weeks ago. Anyway, the upshot of all that is that I think the armpit discomfort is the result of the boob massage in that the fluid had to go somewhere and as I had 2  lymph nodes removed it's trying to find another route. I actually felt and heard the cords snap last night which was a bit of alarming and now there is general tenderness in the whole area which is not surprising!  I'll keep an eye on things and ring the nurse again in a few days if it's not settled.

Sorry to hear about your rash which is not helped by the recent heat no doubt. Have you tried cotton bras? Miss Mary has some good ones.

Early days indeed! Another nurse wasn't the least bit surprised at my discomfort and just said that radiotherapy is the gift that keeps on giving, often for 6 months or so. So more crap to look forward to!!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend,

Deborah

Hi TW142

I'm in a similar situation, I finished RADS 9th May and 3 weeks ago started with acheing around the area where I had 1 sentinel node removed and a heaviness in the breast on waking up. I've done my arm exercises again and yesterday rang the BCN who in turn spoke to the consultant. Their advice was that it was still early days an to monitor it for 2 months. If it gets worse or doesn't improve I should ring them. The consultant said that nerves are sensitive around the lymph so may just be settling down.  I've also got a rash under my breats and find it uncomfortable wearing any bras! Anyone have any bra recommendations?

I do have other aches, one due a fall a few weeks ago and the other an existing injury in my glute area. I do feel a bit decrepid but trying not to let it get me down although it is a worry. I just want to be fitter. 

My advice would be to trust your medical team but if it's really worrying you, ask to see them because stress isn't going to help. Sending you a big hug xxx

Hello ladies,

Well just when I thought I was getting back on track I've had a very sore nipple for the past 2 weeks and now my lymph glands under my arm are up. No one seems that interested and the nurse just says it's 'probably' a late after effect of radiotherapy. So feeling a bit fed up and wondering just when I will feel like the old me again. Had anyone else still got low grade aches and pains and grumbles? I'd like to start some more aerobic exercise but the thought of stuffing myself in a tight bra and jumping around is still available while off! All too sensitive still.

2 steps forwards...

Can’t wait to get back to underwired bras! I see the oncologist in 10 days so hopefully he will give me the ok. Everything seems to have healed up nicely, but my scar is still lumpy. I will let him have a good feel to put my mind at rest😉. 

Thanks for the tip about acupuncture. I’m fine in the hot flush department 🤞but some of the younger women on the course who have been put into earlier menopause are suffering dreadfully. As if they don’t have enough to worry about. 🙁. I think the Maggies centre offers acupuncture too. 

Sorry to hear that that you didn’t enjoy your LGFG course Dummerswidow. I’m not very girly but it did me a power of good right in the middle of chemo and the volunteers were a lovely bunch. I too was very sceptical about the Moving On course, but I have gone with an open mind and tried not to judge to much too early. I am finding beneficial in a very subtle way. Even if it’s just to process what has happened over the past year. Let us know what you think.

Hugs to all

TW142.

I’m having some counselling too. It does help to sort out the 💩!  I had a mastectomy and have had a pocket put in one of my wired bras. Not worn it yet as still a bit sore from rads. 

Hello all,

Great to hear from you and that you are doing well, at least I hope you are!  My Moving on course isn't until November. In the meantime I'm having some counselling which is quite helpful in trying to understand and contextualize my reactions and I think I've mentioned before that I have found acupuncture brilliant at balancing my emotions and- even better- minimizing drug induced hot flushes! I would urge you to give it a go if you are suffering. It has certainly been a light bulb moment for me.

Otherwise I'm doing ok I think and am planning a phased return to work next month.  I still have a few aches and general heaviness in my boob which is variable so not sure if this is my new ' normal' or not! Anyone back in underwired bras yet?

Happy weekends all!

Hi Badboob.

glad you’re finding the course beneficial. I’m booked onto one starting the 10th September. Hope it’s okay. Trying to keep on open mind about as I was soooo disappointed with my Look good feel better session I did! xxx

Hello you lovely May buddies, I hope everyone is doing ok. I just thought I would swing by and let you know that I am now half way thus a Moving on course run at my local Maggies centre.

i don’t think I realised how the whole cancer nonsense has affected me, but the course is really helping me understand my new normal, plus I have met some great girls, a mix of breast and lady bits, but connected by the big c. 

If you can spare the time, try and book yourself on to a course.

Best wishes to you all.

Hugs

Gill 3105

I’m a bit like you. I have never learned to keep my trap shut.  What you see is what you get! The Radiotherapy team are phoning me on Thursday morning. A telephone appointment. I have no faith in them at all I’m afraid. My rads were at another hospital. The Consultant is lovely though. I have been asked to go to a planning meeting. Something to do with MacMillan and Cancer Information. I’m up at St Thomas’ hospital tomorrow about my heart so might not be able to call the team.xx

Community Champion

Hi drummerswidow.  Sorry your in a bit of discomfort with rads side affects.  Unfortunately they don’t tell you what it’s like after you have finished but it is important you let them know.  Give your rads team a call and tell them. They will give you the correct dressing and cream to apply.   In my case when skin broke down it was a matter of no cream at all for 3/4 days and it dried and healed on its own.  Don’t suffer as will drag you down and make you feel poopy!!   I went on a LGfb corse and really enjoyed it but I love make up anyway so always good to learn new stuff. I also went on the Hope course.  Wasn’t for me at all however they asked me to carry on with the course as I put a lot into it, in other words I do t shut up as I tend to tell it as it really is and not what the books tell you. What you see is what you get with me 😀. What did come out of the course was 6 new friends.  Not a way to meet new friends but we go for coffees and have a catch up which is good.  Give your team a call and you will soon be feeling a tad better .  Xx 💓💓

@itsallgonetu wrote:

Hi Everyone

hope you're all progressing well.

I hope to go on a moving forward course soon too - my issue is dealing with the LVI issue which scares me.

I didn't have chemo but did have radio and wondered if anyone can tell me now I am on Anastrozole if I should be having Zolendronic acid infusions and Calcium and Vit D supplements because of side effects-no one has suggested these for me, I would appreciate any advice.

IAGTU

Hi there. I can’t remember what my Oncologist said now. I’ll have a look at my letters etc. I’m taking Vit D and have to take it for 3 years, then to take it between October and April thereafter. She told me I should get enough calcium from my diet. I think this is because I’m on Zolendronic acid.  Whether you should have I don’t know. Maybe talk to your Breast Cancer Nurse. xx

Sorry to hear you are still in some discomfort. I asked the hospital skin care nurse what they would do if were them and they suddenly suggested some dressings which worked a treat. Might not work for you around your neck but you will not be the first to be suffering. Push back, nicely but firmly, and see what they suggest. The same applies to the GP of you still have no success with the hospital.

Good luck!

Hi Everyone

hope you're all progressing well.

I hope to go on a moving forward course soon too - my issue is dealing with the LVI issue which scares me.

I didn't have chemo but did have radio and wondered if anyone can tell me now I am on Anastrozole if I should be having Zolendronic acid infusions and Calcium and Vit D supplements because of side effects-no one has suggested these for me, I would appreciate any advice.

IAGTU

TW142

I was going to go to the Haven in Fulham but had only just completed my rads so cancelled as I couldn’t make the journey.  I live Kent way and am not happy about traveling on the tube 😟. 

I’m doing the Moving forward course in September. Hope it’s better than the LGFB afternoon I did.

My rads site at my neck is so sore. Think I’ll have to go to the GP. They tell you to cover it up but my clothes make it worse. Feeling a bit fed up. 

Annietravel

Gosh, we do sound similar! My itches and soreness, including the split under my lymph node scar are much better a week on and I'm feeling much brighter. I put this down to acupuncture which I think has helped me, aside from the 3 day headache it induced!

The next Moving Forward course from my hospital in SW London is not until November. I really hope I have been able to move on by then!  In the meantime, I'm investigating counselling, also offered by my hospital but which has been a bit hit and miss to date.  I have found that the NHS has been brilliant dealing with the essential emergency but has fallen short in healing the mind and soul. Lack of resources I guess.

I have been going to another wonderful charity- the Breast Cancer Haven which has branches nationally. I go to the one in Fulham which is a bit of a trek but so worth it. 

Take care.

Community Champion

Hi ajay.  We are on fb. It’s “simply the breast friends”.  You are more than welcome to join us.  

@Gill3105 wrote:

Hi ladies hope your all recovering well?  I have been on hols so just catching up and being nosey as you do 🤗.    Glad to see your all keeping In touch and drummerwidow great to see you found our lickle group “simply breast friends” 🤪.     Remember keep fluids up and cream often. Easy to forget as things improve and we feel better.    Take care all and have a lovely evening x. 

Hi Gill3105,

Please can you tell me where the group 'simply breast friends' is?

Thank you 😊

Community Champion

Hi ladies hope your all recovering well?  I have been on hols so just catching up and being nosey as you do 🤗.    Glad to see your all keeping In touch and drummerwidow great to see you found our lickle group “simply breast friends” 🤪.     Remember keep fluids up and cream often. Easy to forget as things improve and we feel better.    Take care all and have a lovely evening x. 

Hi Annietravel

I would also like to continue to share our experiences. 

I'm currently attending a Moving Forward course and finding it very informative. I am also valuing meeting others on the course and sharing our own experiences. I would recommend to anyone after finishing treatment.

xx

Hello everyone,

It is good to hear how you all are and such a variety of responses to basically similar treatment. I guess we are all individuals and all respond in different ways........probably this is why there is no standard treatment for skin. I'm very itchy at treatment site and bits are sore. I've been incredibly tired as well - especially yesterday, a week since I finished.

I am lucky that there is a good cancer support charity based in the hospital. I braved there and they are wonderful. I am on waiting list for acupuncture for sweats. Also having counselling to try and get all the mental turmoil sorted out. They really seem to understand and have time for us. They also suggested the 'Moving on' courses run by our own (host of this site) breast cancer care. I'm sure someone knows more about this than I do but looking at this website they run all over the country....maybe worth a look?

I also would like to keep in touch for a bit - Badboob did a great service to us in setting up this thread, thank you! IAGTU - I'm not sure I would manage setting up a post treatment thread but it is nice keeping in touch with the same people.

love to all xxx

Hi Everyone

I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel!

My scar area and tumour site(boost area) are still very red and sore but everything else seems to be settling down-please tell me they don't flare up again!

I feel you are all in worse shape than me at the moment so all I can say is persevere and keep chasing them up, 'cos no one else is going to do it for you. It's so wearing tho' when you already feel drained.

Been taking my Anastazole for 4 days and hot sweats bad already- whoopee!

I have noticed I feel the need to use a lot of exclamation marks since I got this dreaded C!!!

Will we keep posting here or move to hormone treatment/post treatment site-I have found great comfort from you lovely ladies.

IAGTU x 

TW142

I’m sorry you are having a rough time with your skin and also breakdown in communication with the hospital. Having spent years in the NHS I find it’s something they excel at!! 

The area at my neck is my main problem. Been told to cover it but clothes irritate it so have left it open to the elements. I have got some hydrocortisone cream and antihistamines but they don’t really seem to be doing anything. Phoned the hospital Friday and feel they think I’m whinging. Mind you maybe they have read my patient (dis)satisfaction form. 

We all all seem to be getting different advice re creams, treatment etc. I haven’t had a dexa scan nor any bloods done for my Letrazole. Something else to chase up! 

Itsallgonetu 

We're with you and as someone who had to make an unscheduled trip to the hospital yesterday to get particular dressings, I can only sympathise with your discomfort. This was after they took 48 hours to respond to my initial call only to find out they had been repeatedly calling my old number which I specifically checked and watched them change at my very first appointment!  If someone can tell me how to reach the central NHS database I'd be very grateful as it continues to be wrong at every medical establishment I visit while the address is correct. One of us is wrong!

So yes, conflicting and nonsensical advice re dealing with sore skin. Hospital not allowed to recommend any specific cream unless there was proven research based evidence and GP advised me to speak to the hospital. It was only when I pushed back to the hospital and finally got a sensible nurse that she gave me some dressings which have helped as the skin under my arm is perilously close to splitting and the weekend was fast approaching (I.e. complete lack of any dedicated breast/radiotherapy care advice available because after all, we only have concerns Monday - Friday right?).

Re. Your concerns about the cancer finding a new home, this is a tricky one and one I guess we all face to some degree. I have had a few counselling sessions which have helped a little in contextualising this ghastly experience.  I am struggling, today at least, to find an end to this and when I can go back to work. Just when I feel on the up something else happens - very sore skin or wall of tiredness or brain disengaged again. All very tiresome now.

As for starting your drug, I have a blood test in July and have been told that as any changes to bone health are very gradual they will use that as the baseline. I'm assuming you've had or will have a bone density or DEXA scan.

Your follow up does seem a long way off. Does your hospital offer an Open Access clinic facility? That might be worth checking. And you can always see your GP. I have found mine very helpful, mostly remotely on the telephone, through all this.

I'm not sure my rant is very helpful to you but I feel better for letting off a bit of steam ! Hang in there!

Hi All

just catching up with all your posts - I feel a bit mean saying I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering more since my treatment ended than before!

It seems to be more painful and sore in different places every day - been topless in the house most of the time as this is most comfy.

Continuing to use the Biafine radiotherapy cream, nipple shields, anti histamine meds and cream, aloe vera cool pads, pain relief, anti inflammatory(if there's anything else to try please do tell!)

Had to start my anastrazole as I'm oestrogen positive, as no one seemed interested it checking my bloods pre treatment for a baseline I had them done privately for oestrogen, calcium and vit D which I believe are the main things affected by the oestrogen blockers- I wondered how they know if they are effective if they don't keep track of your levels.

The big thing I find a problem is that I now have no follow up until March next year - I am so scared that as my cancer was diagnosed as vascular those 'orrible little cancer cells will be floating about in my blood stream just looking for somewhere else to grow!

Is anyone else feeling this way?

When I have mentioned it to any of the nurses and support workers they just tell me everyone feels the same and give me pamphlets to read on dealing with it!

I want to but not able at present.

You lot are helping me more than anyone!

Iagtu x 

Drummerswiddow

Sorry to hear you're feeling low.  I felt like that after my surgery follow up when I was told everything was looking positive yet I felt nothing. I guess it hits us all at different times. Having sore skin will not be helping you at the moment. I have found Aloe good at cooling the skin but doesn't last long and doesnt really moisturise.

My skin too has started to flare up 8 days after finishing. I'm still waiting for the skin nurse to call me back following my call at 8.30am this morning......not impressed.

I hate it when people say to be kind to yourself (what does that even mean?) but after weeks of being irritated by this expression go watch a film, bake a cake, make something or go somewhere nice for tea and cake - just one small thing can sometimes help in lifting the mood. And follow up the medics tomorrow, as I will be doing.

Take care.

Been advised to use aloe Vera gel for my neck. 

It’s funny I finished my rads on Monday but I feel numb. Certainly don’t want to celebrate! 

That seems mad them not recommending any creams!  I can recommend the QV cream and the Flamminal gel and they gave me those at the radiotherapy treatment centre - it was just about the first thing they did at my first session.  I would ask your GP if you don’t get any joy when you phone.  You definitely need something to sooth the irritation and to moisturise.

Hi Rosiepop

No creams were given. When I asked about creams I was told they are supposed to recommend any. Not very helpful! Today the neck area feels as if it’s really on fire. I’ll have to phone them tomorrow about it.

Hi Drummerswidow,

Did they give you any creams?  I was given QV cream and the Flaminal Gel (Hydro and Forte) to put in the sore and itchy bits.  I think it works quite well but only for a limited time period.  Whoever said it’s like ants crawling around in your bra was bang on!  

I’m having a debate with myself about when to go back to work.  My BC nurse phoned to see how I was on Monday (a week after I had finished) and was very firm about not going back to work yet.  She’s lovely and I think it was helpful for her be so directive as I feel very guilty about being off work.  But there is definitely something positive about getting back to work and feeling normal again.  She was concerned about the tiredness in particular and was pointing out that once you’re  back, you’re  back.  And I know that’s true.  But things move on in while you aren’t there.  My boss and I have already discussed a phased return, which I am happy with.  Just going to have to keep working it through in my own head....

Highlighted

@Drummerswidow wrote:

Hi Ajay

Might have to ask for something for my burns. It’s soooooo itchy as well 😳😳

Hi, I had some itchiness, I use Diprobase and was told to apply 3 times a day and I have the Flamigel. It's 4 weeks since mt rads and my skin has gone brown after the pinkness. 

Happy days!

Hi Ajay

Might have to ask for something for my burns. It’s soooooo itchy as well 😳😳

Hi

I was given Flamagel cream which is very good for rad burns,just in case any ladies want to ask their GP for it xxx

Surrey eh? So you must be quite near. If I could work out how to PM you I would! Happy to stay in touch going forward.  Easy on the wine tonight -but enjoy it nevertheless!

@Livelifetothefull wrote:

Very emotional day today- both me & mum finished Radiotherapy & we rang that bell together, both in tears after- think it’s relief it’s over.

Just been out for a nice meal to celebrate.  Will be strange not going to Leeds & back daily, but a relief to try get back to normality. 

Boob getting redder by the day- just hoping that’s all it does.

Wishing you and your mum a speedy recovery just keep putting the moisturiser on three times a day and drink lots of water is good to celebrate the end of radiotherapy and just try to move forward in whatever way you can take care xx

TW142- Glass of wine tonight which makes me glow a lot but is my celebration. I'm in Surrey.

Yay! Well done! Hope you are celebrating tonight?!

I'm having acupuncture which I'm finding helpful. Where are you based? I'm in SW London.

🎉🔔🔔🔔

I've also finished today- yippee!

Skin also  red and nipple v sore and sensitive. Just need to keep slapping on the cream and drinking for tiredness.

All you wonderful ladies have been such a help and I have felt that I have not been alone whereas without you I would have been very alone. Someone has experienced all the issues in some way and hints and tips and encouragement is brilliant and so inspiring.

I will  return for reflexology, reiki and acupuncture sessions - more firsts for me. I decided to take all help on offer and give these a try to aid relaxation and sweats.

Can we please keep in touch for a bit longer until skin settles then bring the rest of life on!!

love to you all 😘

Congratulations both!

Very emotional day today- both me & mum finished Radiotherapy & we rang that bell together, both in tears after- think it’s relief it’s over.

Just been out for a nice meal to celebrate.  Will be strange not going to Leeds & back daily, but a relief to try get back to normality. 

Boob getting redder by the day- just hoping that’s all it does.

Huge Congrats!🏆👌

Huge Congrats!🏆👌

Rosiepop

Thanks so much for posting the article- really interesting and helpful.

Sorry to hear about your skin. Mine feels like sandpaper down my bra and this is only day 5 post RT so goodness knows how much worse this will get!

@Drummerswidow wrote:

Had my last Radiotherapy this morning! 🥁🥁🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔

😊💐🌞 Wehay!! Another step forward. I hope you're having a relaxing evening!

Look after your skin and keep drinking the water 😘xx

Had my last Radiotherapy this morning! 🥁🥁🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔

Hi all,

Don’t know what I was thinking when I said I thought my skin reaction had peaked three days after last session - wishful thinking!  Has been unbelievably itchy and skin has broken down under breast, which I believe is pretty common.  I found some info on why the skin behaves as it does which I have found really helpful in understanding what is going on and trying to be more patient.  Here is the link -

ltht-managingradiotherapyinducedskinreactions-oct2011.pdf

Best wishes to you all, whatever stage you’re at xxx

Last Radiotherapy tomorrow. Skin is looking red and is itchy especially at the neck node area.

Had my review on Friday with the MacMillan radiographer. Was interesting. Apparently I should have been given a card with her number to contact if I had problems and other information at my chat after the planning. Didn’t get any of this. She and I weren’t happy. Nearly all the information I have got is from this forum. I have been given a patient satisfaction form to fill in. I will do as I don’t want others to be in the same situation. 

Hi ladies, 

Me & my mum finish our radiotherapy on 11th June, which happens to be my wedding anniversary- so a double celebration.

Just got back from a brisk walk, as was feeling tired, it has perked me up a bit, but I was unable to run as boob feels sore & tender lately.  I’m moisturising well as you ladies have advised & looks like will continue to do so for 2-3 weeks after. 

Thanks for sharing all your experiences, as helps to read that others feel how you do.  I’m very emotional at the drop of a hat nowadays- but think that’s the Tamoxifen. 

Take care xx

Community Champion

Well done all you lovely ladies who have finished their rads and completed active treatment.   My advise is to keep up the fluids and cream.   Hit a tired spot (fatigue)? go for a quick walk when you feel it coming on, I found this helped me loads and got me through it rather than taking a nap.   Check you back and shoulders also as I have a lovely red patch appear after rads were complete.  Never thought to check the back but it was a bit pink so worth just creaming that area to keep it at bay and well moisturised.     Those who have just finished and I am sure you have been told that the rads will continue to work for the next 10/14 days when all will peak.  Took a tad longer with me more 15/20 when all peaked.   If you have changes and or break down of the skin, don't suffer just give your rads team a call and they will advise what to do and if need be they will check you out.   Emotions!!  whaoooo, have a good ole cry and don't be afraid to, I did and think it was because everything had stopped and had that little bit of thinking time to reflect.   The redness, the soreness, the BCN thats what they are there for.    

Anyway ladies enjoy the time of not having the treck to the hospital everyday.  My problem wasn't the treatment it was the 1 hour trying to park the car!!.  Hospital car parks are never big enough.

Where are all you lovelies based.  I am in South Derbyshire. 

Have a good evening and hope you ladies keep in touch with each other and this is a great place to be.   

Hope my lickle bit of advise helps and you start those steps of moving forward. 

xxxxxxxx    

Hello lovely May ladies, so pleased to read that many of us are now finished with this stage of this 💩 journey. I am now two week post treatment and my boob is starting to feel almost like normal now.😉😁😁but, for a few days it felt like I had ants in my bra and was the colour of liver! A bit weepy around my nipple and very sore! Some cream from the doctors and nursing pads soon sorted it out but it felt like I had caught my nipple in a vice! Ouch. So, please don’t suffer in silence, a quick call to the radiotherapy dept and they got me sorted with a scrip sent direct to my GP. I hope those still to finish get there soon, just remember we will still be holding your virtual hand and thinking of you while you’re being zapped! Hugs