63345members
333232posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy September 2019

Re: Radiotherapy September 2019

Just started radiotherapy on Wednesday. So far so good. Just need to remember to put the creams on as instructed. 

Hi Libby03

I’m pleased to report that I now have all my appointments, and they have managed to fit me in earlier than expected. I have my planning appointment next Tuesday, and then treatments start the following Wednesday 11th, go on until 1st October, with a final blast and review on 9th October. So I will be starting 2 days before the 12 weeks that I was told it should start. I had a really kind and helpful radiotherapist ring me, as I was originally down to see the doctor to sign consent etc on Thursday next week, and when she spotted that, she arranged for the doctor to see me next Tuesday at my appointment with her, so that I didn’t have to make the journey twice in one week. And she then brought forward my planned appointment by a week when I pleaded! Common sense and joined up thinking, a rare quality!

It is a relief when you know where you are, and I know that I will be well able to join our family holiday together. Just hope the grandkids don’t wear me out!

Beat wishes to all of us going through our radiotherapy in September, let’s keep our chins up!

Highlighted

Hi Libby

I hope your first session has gone/will go well, I'm in full agreement that the length of time people are waiting for their treatment to start isn't good for anybody. Finding out you have BC is anxiety provoking in itself without worrying we won't start treatment within the recommended guidelines.

Nevertheless we are strong ladies and will get through it. Good luck to all who are starting their treatment and to the rest of us who are still waiting - we will get there eventually.

Joemic x 

Hi SueLSE, 

My planning appointment was beginning of August and although I pleaded with them to start the treatment sooner, I don't have my first session until the end of next week. I don't think the amount of waiting is good for anyone. I'll be 13 weeks post op by the time I start my first full week of treatment, so I keep thinking whether it'll actually going to have any benefit.

I'm not near a hospital so it's about an hour and a half travelling each way. Which I've got to do as a combination of driving part of the way, then getting a bus as like the hospital you are at there is virtually no parking on site. The cost of the bus is quite expensive which isn't ideal as I've not been back to work since my op. Hopefully, they can get you in sooner, so you can get it finished with before your big family holiday. Take care 😊

Hi everyone, I’m also due for radiotherapy in September. I have bilateral breast cancer, and the right side was a recurrence after 11 years, so I had radiotherapy back then, 15 sessions and can honestly say I didn’t affect me too much. I can’t have radiotherapy again that side, and I initially opted for a double lumpectomy, as it was thought the recurrence was very small. But it turned out to be an invasive lobular cancer which had spread so I returned nearly 5 weeks later for a mastectomy. 

I saw the oncologist on Monday and am now waiting for an appointment to get set up and then start, probably 15 sessions. They will go up into the armpit to cover the lymph nodes. What is concerning me is that I have been told several times that radiotherapy must start between 6 weeks and 12 weeks after surgery. The lumpectomy, with sentinel node involvement, was performed on my left side on 21 June. Oncology are telling me they are so busy and short staffed that there is no appointment for a month. They will try and fit me in with a cancellation, but I’m already 9 weeks down the line, the delay being my further surgery. And we have a big family holiday at the end of October which I’m determined not to miss. I think I’m going to ring and start hassling, though I am reluctant, as there are plenty of people worse off than me.

As for travelling, our oncology department is in the centre of a city with virtually no parking. I’m old enough to have my bus pass, so I intend to use that, and then 10 minutes walk from bus station. It’s about 40 minutes on the bus from where I live. Hope I can travel after 9am!

Has anyone else been told that they will have to wait because everything is fully booked?

Hi Becks

Its going really fast! Now in single figures. It’s just part of my daily routine now and I’m not finding it too bad. 

Hope everything goes well for you.

Mel xx

Hi Mel

Thats great you are already on no. 10, does it feel like it’s going fast? I started chemo in Feb but it seemed to go quickly, ie the time came around for the next dose very quickly. Most probably because I didn’t want it to!

Like everyone just want this bit over ASAP. 

I hope the rest of your rads go well and are over quickly. 

Becks x

Hi 

i have had my planning meeting today and due to start in 5th sept .  All went ok other than being so cold in the scan room .  Hopefully hear from others going through this .  Xx

Hi Joemic

i can totally relate to your feelings regarding the tattoos. It’s just another reminder of what we are going through and the lack of control over our bodies. Your right about the disease being a dictator- bloody thing. That’s part of the reason I choose to drive to radio when I can - feel like it gives me some control back in a strange sort of way. Also I didn’t need chemo so obviously not suffering the effects of that like you.

Your humour didn’t offend me at all! Made me smile and I would say I have a similar humour! I was laughing g how my tumour got to go to America for oncotype before me after all it’s put me through! 🤣🤣. Humour certainly helps with the lows.

Wishing you all the best. Hugs Mel xx

Hi Ladies

It's great to hear that people are getting their planning appointments at last and others getting their start dates, I think we all want to get cracking and get it over with so we can get back to some sort of semblance of 'normal' life, whatever that may beSmiley Frustrated.

Thanks to everyone for your reassuring words regarding tattoo's but  can I just say It's not the size or the thought of any pain which puts me off tattoo's, it's the sheer anger I have that this darned disease is dictating I have to have something (no matter how tiny) which I have never wanted. I dread the thought of tattoos like some dread the thought of losing their hair - I suppose we all have something we will do our best to avoid. Anyway, that's it rant over I will get over it, I usually do, life's too short to worry about little things - still annoys me thoughSmiley LOL

Mel - A photo for ID purposes, I take it it was of your face and not your boobSmiley LOL. Don't know what to wear on my head now, my wig or my usual fisherman's hat or just go bald, I wear thick rimmed glasses to hide the fact that I have no eyebrows, none of the looks actually look like meSmiley LOL, I hope I haven't offended you, I have a weird sense of humour but it gets me through the lows in lifeSmiley Wink. Well done on ticking number 10 off, you'll soon be ringing that bell, 45 mins is a long drive, you've done really well driving yourself as much as you can and its nice that hubby is helping out when its a bit much. Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

Denzel - I hope your wound is fully healed and you can finally get on with the radio and as you say get life back to 'normal' it's a long draining process but you've firmly got the finishing post in your sights now, you'll be ringing that bell before you know it.

Leonie - Your planning appt is only 2 days before mine, we'll be able to swap notesSmiley Happy. Mine will be on my right side so I won't be needing to hold my breath thank goodness. 

Saz2345 - Good luck for Friday, I hope you get your treatment plan so you can finally get on with itSmiley Happy

Becsann - I would have an hour's drive at least but generally it would be 1.5 hrs if appointments clash with rush hours. I will probably be going by bus and train, which is about 1.5 hrs journey each way. I know that is a lot but at least I wouldn't be having to concentrate on the road. I find I still lose concentration a bit too easy and am also still finding I have a bit of chemo brain so think the safest for me is the train but I'll see. Good luck with your planning session next week.

Susanmanchester - It's great that you have had no side effects that must be a relief, good luck with the rest of your treatment.

Enjoy the rest of the week ladies - we've got this

Joemic x 

Hi Becsann

Ive just dome number 10 today and have about a 45 minute drive to the hospital. I have taken myself but there have been days where I have felt very tired (fatigue can be a side effect) so hubby has driven me. I think you will have to see how you are on the day. Wishing you well - sounds like you’ve had a long journey already.

Good luck to everyone else starting in September.

Mel x

Hi Everyone

I have my planning appt next Thursday and apparently will be have treatment from 10th to 30th Sept. 

How far is everyone’s hospital? Mine is about an hour in traffic and just wondering if I can drive myself. Already rather tired after chemo and op 5 weeks ago so wondering if it’s doable.

Good luck to everyone with treatment xx

Hi. 

Ive got my appointment this Friday. It’s been 7 weeks since my op, I am hoping they will be telling me I’ll be having my radiotherapy shortly. 

Good luck everyone with treatment x

5th radiotherapy tomorrow and no side effects at all .... it is not in the least bit painful you just have to stay still for 15 minutes . Deep breaths and close your eyes ... that's it 

Hi Joemic,

I too have radiologist meeting 4th September (or so My breast nurse says ...still waiting for phone call to confirm). I am 5 weeks post last  op and  hoping there isn't much more delay, as as much as I am dreading it I just need it to be over.

It's my left side being done so will have to learn the breathing technique to try and protect heart and lungs as much as possible. Read some of possible side effects.....not Good reading.

Good luck to us all Smiley Happy

Hi Joemic,

I too have radiologist meeting 4th September (or so My breast nurse says ...still waiting for phone call to confirm). I am 5 weeks post last  op and  hoping there isn't much more delay, as as much as I am dreading it I just need it to be over.

It's my left side being done so will have to learn the breathing technique to try and protect heart and lungs as much as possible. Read some of possible side effects.....not Good reading.

Good luck to us all Smiley Happy

Got a call today to say that I will hopefully start radiotherapy next Wednesday. It’s been delayed a month due to wound issues. Still have a tiny area on wound not fully healed but the girl on phone said they would check me out next week. Hopefully by then it will be fully healed. Just want to get started now and get life back to normal. I am to get 15 full and 4 boosts . Nice to have others going through it too. I had my CT and planning end of July. I got the three tattoos done then too and I honestly can’t see where they are. 

Hi Joemic

I am going for session 8 today - so far I’ve found it ok.

My planning probably took about 39 minutes. First spike to a therapy assistant who confirmed my details, talked through the radiotherapy and showed a video of the machine and how it works. They also took a photo for ID purposes. I then went through for CT - there were a few people in the room. They then did 3 tattoo dots - they are very small - I really have to look to see them and just felt like a little scratch when they did them.

I wish you well for your next stage of treatment.

best wishes Mel x

It is a tiny dot ... 

Radiotherapy September 2019

Hello Ladies

I thought I would start a September thread so ladies who will be starting then can get to know each other a bit so we can help support each other through.

I haven't got my planning until the 6th Sept so as of yet I'm still not sure when it will actually start or how long it will be for. I am not at all happy about tattoo marks, the thought of having tattoo's no matter how small makes me shudder but as others on other threads have mentioned, I'll be having a chat on my planning session.

I look forward to chatting to you all when you join the thread.

Joemic x