cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy Starters October 2019

Highlighted

Re: Radiotherapy Starters October 2019

Hi All

Finally I started radiotherapy today. It’s been a long wait. I cried when my name was called out and when I had to leave my partner. I wasn’t sure what to expect today as I had not seen a radiotherapy room. Plus I was scared about the breath holds. I was taken into a cubicle and sat down and had a bit explained to me from a lovely lady. She then showed me the room where the therapy takes place. All good. I got changed into my gown and got on with it. Took a while to get into the right position but all good. Back there tomorrow and for the next 3 weeks. It’s been a roller coaster for me I have eczema and because I’m on zoladex to put me into the menopause my skin is extremely sore and itchy. I’ve had to see a dermatologist privately last week. Worth it though as I know my eczema is being managed properly.

Hope all is ok with you Sandpiper? 

Hugs to all x

Highlighted

Hi everyone 

Had zap number 12 this morning and it feels good to say "I finish next week"☺. I get the day off tomorrow but get zapped Thurs, Fri and Sat. My skin is just a little bit pink at the moment but not sore. My boob isn't quite so swollen at the moment but I'm sure that'll change again.

Sandpiper,the dignity tunic is pretty good for walking from the changing booth, sorry can't describe it any other way, to the radiotherapy area. After they've finished drawing on me they cover my right boob up.

In recent weeks I've put most of my stuff associated with bc in a drawer in the loft. I don't ever want to see it again but it's there if Gremlin dares to pay me another visit. Being TNBC there's a higher risk of a return visit at the 2 to 3 year stage☹. 2 weeks today and my wigs will go up there too as I am getting my hair coloured again after 10 months. No more grey hair☺☺. 

Will pop back in a few days to see how you all are. Take care xx 

Highlighted

Hi Everyone,

Am doing okay - finished two weeks ago. I still get tired more quickly and don't have the stamina I had before. I feel a bit flat too, bit in no man's land. I've been sorting out old hospital appointment letters and the like ready for shredding. It's amazing how much paperwork is involved when you have breast cancer treatment! My skin has been mainly fine with no itching, just a bit pink and the odd pain very occasionally and a bit swollen.

Libby - I'm glad you've had a lovely and well deserved holiday enjoying the sun. How are you feeling now?

Fleur - I hope your shingles doesn't last too long, it's a miserable thing to have on top of everything.

Sally - I'm glad you've got through okay. Thanks again for the book recommendation - I did find it very useful. Susie you're whizzing through - more than halfway now. Hope you are managing with it all - how is the dignity tunic you were issued with working out? I remember being a bit envious as I had to make do with gowns and a paper from a roll. Caz - how are you getting on? Redfox - is it ten down and five to go? Is your shoulder still giving you trouble. Sunflower - am wondering how you are and whether you have been given your dates yet.

Sandpiper

x

Highlighted

Hi all.

day 10 today for me. 

love to everyone xxx

Highlighted

Hi everyone 

Fleur, sorry to hear that on top of everything else you've now got shingles. Hope it clears up soon as I know it can be painful. For the itching, boob not shingles one of my rads nurses suggested anti histamines. I started to itch last Thursday but it stopped by itself Friday.  

Libby10, lovely to hear that you're enjoying your break in the sunshine. Interesting about the suntan lotion, I'd have been slapping it on as normal, possibly doing more harm than good.

Sunshine Sal, one of the girls in our Feb 19 group finished rads the week before you and her skin has peeled too. It will improve, promise. 

Redfox, I think the pain in your back when you lean back on something is quite nodal. I was told to moisturise up and over my shoulder as the radiotherapy can affect that area.  

Hope everything goes well for those of you, who like me are continuing treatment this week. For the ones who have completed rads treatment I hope the side effects soon diminish and wish you luck with whatever lies ahead during the next few weeks and months.

As for me I am having my 11th zapping this evening. I get Weds off this week for machine maintenance but have another Saturday zapping instead. The hospital is only running 2 machines at the moment as the 3rd one is in the process of being replaced, which is possibly why my appointment times are all over the place. It's early morning tomorrow. The skin on my boob is still a little red and warm. My boob also appears to be a bit swollen too. I'm storing the aloe vera in the fridge now. Is that what someone on here suggested? My nurse suggested it too. I'll continue with normal zapping this week and will be having 5 boosters next week. 

All the Best, Susie B xx

Highlighted

So sorry to hear youve got shingles, Fleur. That can be so painful. Make sure you rest lots.

❤❤

Highlighted

Thanks Sandpiper 

Its lovely to be relaxing in the warm sunshine after the past few months. I'm being super careful. The radiographer had said not to use suncream until 3 months after radiotherapy to avoid reaction to the ingredients. However, I wasnt confident my tops/swimsuits would block the sun enough so I'm putting factor 50 on and wrapping a sarong across my bust. Still a bit dry and itchy but its working so far and my skin is better than it was.

Glad to hear most of you are getting through your sessions fairly OK.

xx

Highlighted

Hi all oh yes ticking off sessions. skin getting pinker . 

day 9 today. take care everyone 

Highlighted

Hi all

I have also finished the rads on Mon 21st. I have the redness and nipple itching (!), and using E45 night & morning.

I have found the tiredness overwhelming, and then got diagnosed with Shingles, so a double whammy of fatigue!

Thinking of you all

Hugs

Fleur

Highlighted

I'm all done now. Last one was a week ago. As predicted, the redness has got redder and its very itchy. I am using Aveeno morning and night and also hydro-cortisone cream twice a day. I noticed this evening, its just beginning to peel! Whatever next? Not too tired though, that seems to be dissipating. At least something is improving!

Where is everyone else at?

Highlighted

Hi Everyone,

Redfox, Susie, Caz glad you're doing okay with no bad reactions - ticking off the sessions. Chara hope you are managing okay as well. Liz - if you are checking this forum while you are away - Happy Silver Wedding Anniversary and enjoy a well deserved holiday. Fleur and Tina Ann you must have or nearly have finished by now. Good luck to you, Claire, I think you begin yours today. Spicey - when do you finish? It can't be long now. Sunshine - wondering how are you doing. Has your infection finally cleared? Do you have your schedule yet?

I finished over a week ago - some skin reaction as they predicted but no soreness, and pain and itch free too.

Keep well.

Sandpiper

x

Highlighted

Hi day 8 for me today. luckily my times are set and have been ok.  not too sure cause I'm fair skin skin going pinker I'm only using E45 so far going to get a Aloe Vera . noticed yesterday when I sit back on something not soft my back bursts on same side of treatment. I ask them today.

take care everyone today xxx

Highlighted

Morning everyone 

Checked boob earlier and it's definitely a slightly different colour to my good boob. I'm sure the radiologists will let me know if I need more than just E45 and aloe vera. Welcome to the Canadian girls. There's quite a few of you that use the forums on here. It's good to discover how treatment is carried out in other countries. 

Caz we're up in London 9th to 12th Dec. We've been several times, the last being Jan before treatment started. We're planning on going to the Hyde Park Xmas market on the Mon or Tues night when it is less busy. Also there is a Tutenkamun exhibition at the Saatchi museum that one of our Feb group told us about, she's going the week before me. The exhibition is on until May next year and will be the last time the items will be on display in this country. The rest of the time will be dependent on how much energy I have and how well my skin behaves. As for celebrating your daughter's birthday and end of rads how about afternoon tea somewhere? You need to book sooner rather than later though and you can enjoy some fizz with it too🍾🍾🍾🥂☺.

I'm due my next zapping at lunch time today. The times are all over the place this week and next week. The evening ones are the worst, I just want to get them done without hanging around all day. 

All the Best to everyone being zapped this week. Apart from the travelling it's so much easier than chemo😊.

Sue xx 

Highlighted

I had no 5 session yesterday. I didn't feel the heat feeling. I was nervous thinking I'm going to have that feeling again but no. and the radiologist are fantastic so last 4 had yo have c t before so was longer but yesterday in out within 10 mins. Have a c t each Friday . a procedure they do. Take Care

Highlighted

Morning everyone, 

Number 5 yesterday Ok so far just red, bit itchy, going to get some Aloe Vera gel today, Holland and Barrett have buy one and get another for a penny. Appointment not until 6pm today, have to be organised as my husband is not a cook!!

Welcome to Shara and Lovemama from Vancouver it’s on my bucket travel list to visit there, sounds like your treatment plans are a bit different to here in UK.

I had a review with the radiographer last week Libby10, and she said it was fine to go swimming in the local public pool as long as you shower after, you can’t go on holiday and not swim!! I took a ‘rash’ surfing top when I went to Crete recently they do nice colours and have 50 factor sun protection and used for both sitting in sun over cozzie and swimming in sea. 

Where are you going to visit in London Susie B I have booked to go for weekend in December my daughter is in her last year of uni there and it’s her birthday so good excuse for lovely dinner somewhere with a bit of fizz celebrate end of rads!!

Best wishes for rest of week.

Caz x

Highlighted

Ooooooppps! Several hours before rads.

Highlighted

Hi everyone 

Had my 6th zapping last night which was really quick. 2 zaps in each of 3 areas with 6 breath holds. Lower part of my ANC scar felt a bit tight earlier and I think my boob and colar bone area may be getting a little red. I'm slapping on E45 several before rads and aloe vera after rads. Hope all of you still going through treatment are managing ok and not getting too tired of sore. xx 

Highlighted

Thank you for the tip, Susie B. I had assumed I'd be ok with my breast area covered up but maybe not...... I will be super careful as my skin is still irritated and itchy at day 10 after my treatment finished. Hopefully nearly past the peak now tho' 

xx

Highlighted

Hi Libby10

Just popping in quickly. Regarding your holiday to Cypress be careful of the sun. One of the girls in our February 19 group has just returned from Spain and the sun managed to penetrate through her padded bikini top. Hope you have a fantastic time. I've got a short break to London to look forward to after rads.  xx

Highlighted

Hello Joemic thank you. you've got to laugh though.everthing we are going through and the one thing that's it's annoying me is this. Take care xxx

Highlighted

Hi Redfox

I used a piece of an old 100% soft cotton t shirt. Cut it big enough to cover your breast and armpit, when you've put your cream on, put the material over your breast then put your bra on - make sure your bra doesn't touch your skin. It's a faff but you soon get into the swing of it and it does stop your bra sticking to the cream.😊

Joemic x

Highlighted

Hi I'm using E45 can I also put that in fridge like aveeno also at moment when I put cream on then bra it a big sticky and bra sticks to cream. does anyone have any ideas I even used a croptop bra and this happened

Highlighted

Hi everyone,

welcome Shara and Lovemama.  Redfox - I did think I felt something like you did on one or two of my sessions. I finished on 22nd and was told that the after effects continue and peak at two weeks then gradually getting better over the following two weeks. Over the last few days I have become very tired when I have done too much so I need to pace myself better. I just have needed to sleep in the daytime, it's been hard to drag myself around. I've felt a bit flat as well and without any motivation to take any interest in the things I used to enjoy. Liz - I hope your skin is improving - I was advised that putting Aveeno in the fridge before using would be more soothing. I haven't had any itching or soreness - just a slight change of colour so far and some pains now and again. 

Susie - hope you are getting on okay and Caz. Poppy - how are you getting on? I think you started last week as well. Sally - hope you got through rads okay too.

Sandpiper

x

Highlighted

after my treatment today I did feel like a heat feeling in the area the cancer was removed. I was told you start to have effects after 2 weeks. has anyone else had this feeling. take care everyone one we are warriors xxx

Highlighted

you have a lovely time as well.

Highlighted

Welcome to our thread Shara and lovemama. I think it's great the way we can connect and support one another internationally.

Redfox, you're right, I've been told not to go in the pool on holiday, also not to use any suncreams in my breast area only the cream they've given me and to wear a T-shirt all the time. I'm going to look odd with a white chest and tanned face! 😟

Shara, I've not heard of arched beam radiation but Sunflower who is on this thread, said shes got to do a breathing technique using a snorkel looking tube to help avoid her heart.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone.

xx

Highlighted

Hello Shara, I am from Greater Vancouver (Burnaby 8-) Canada. Not sure if you are aware this site is a UK website. I have been on the site for almost 1 year. At first, I was looking for a forum which is friendly to use. (single forum, particular for breast cancer....) I found this one though I admit, I had overlooked this site is a UK website.  

Highlighted

Hello from Vancouver Canada!  I am on day 2 of radiation scheduled for 25. I have 2 varieties of breast cancer at once, triple negative, and also Her2 positive with spread to lymph nodes. So i'm being treated for both at once. Had surgery (lumpectomy & sentinel node disection) in March, started ACT (8 cycles total) in April, and started Herceptin in August which will run until May 2020. I'm so thankful to be growing my hair back for the winter, sure wish it wasn't coming in white though - I had very little grey prior to chemo. My radiation was late to start as my main tumour site was too directly over my heart for traditional radiation so a second set of CT scans was done and arched beam radiation is now being done so that my heart takes less of a direct hit. I hear this is not commonly done, anyone else having this type? So far I feel like I have a sunburn but no visible skin change yet. My skin smells to me like an 80's sun bed! 

Highlighted

ooh did I read somewhere re swimming pool chlorine be careful can irritate skin. xxx

Highlighted

Hello day 4 for me today, slapping on loads of E45. doing exercises still. Mali g sure I drink loads of water,

Take care everyone xxx

Highlighted

Hi All

Sandpiper, thanks for post. My skin is still hot and now really really itchy. Aargh! Have started using 1% hydrocortisone cream as advised on my discharge letter. Hoping that sorts it as we're off on holiday to Cyprus next Wed for our silver wedding anniversary. Just ordered a high neck swimsuit!! So pleased my treatment was finished in time. 😎

Thanks for your helpful advice re Dexa scan. Susie B, I read on another thread that NICE recommends that people with cancer that could spread to other parts of the body should only have a scan if they are NOT having bisphosphonate treatment. My cancer is grade 2, stage 2, ER+, HER2-, lymph node negative. I can understand this from a cost point of view but as you say Sandpiper, in my case it would be a good way to assess the relative risks so I'm definitely going to ask about having one.

To everyone who started this week, you're nearly a 3rd of the way through! I hope you are managing OK 

Much love xxx

Highlighted

Hi Sandpiper

As I am triple negative breast cancer (TNBC) the only options available to me are chemo, surgery and rads. I will be seeing an oncologist towards the end of November with regards to being prescribed Zolendronic acid or similar to help protect my bones which may give them some protection. For TNBC it only appears to help post menopausal women so I should get it. Getting my teeth checked out straight after rads. Through this site and its various forums I have discovered that not all us TN girls are automically being precsribed zolendronic acid or similar. Unlike ladies such as yourself we aren't given a DEXA scan. Will catch you all later.

All the Best 

Susie B xx

Highlighted

Hi Everyone,

Liz I asked GP for DEXA scan to check bone density as I had started on Letrozole before I had surgery. It showed some osteoporosis which I wouldn't have known about otherwise. Was put on Alendronic acid because of that and the letrozole which would have made it worse. It would be good for you to know what your bone density is in case you have the same. This could give you extra information to weigh up risks of strengthening your bones against osteoporosis and against secondaries versus risk of kidney damage. Hope your skin is settling down okay. I'm finding it a bit odd not going for the rads every day. I'm feeling tired but not exhausted.

Spicey Thanks for your message - glad you found your way over to this thread. I'm doing okay on the Letrozole and haven't had any problems with the Alendronic Acid except felt headachy and unwell after the first dose.

Caz - glad you had a good holiday - back down to earth again now! Maybe you could have another one afterwards!

Susie - Are rads the last leg of your journey apart from tamoxifen or letrozole? Glad you are finding it easier after all the chemo you have gone through. Teya - welcome and Redfox I did have the odd twinges but they settled - I also had some pain after 14th and 15th session though that has gone again. Breast cancer treatment makes you notice every little change, as Liz said.  Sunflower - good that you have a start date now - have been wondering how you were getting on.

Coming back to the DEXA scan the results came through to my GP by two weeks.

Hope everyone is recovering from or managing the treatments okay.

Sandpiper

x

Highlighted

Hi ladies 

Started rads on Monday and everything has been fine so far. I was told the first 3 days take longer as photos are taken along with the rads, so hope fully the next sessions should be quicker and there will be less breath holds. I've got today off for machine maintenance but have to be zapped on Saturday instead. As for actual treatment I will be having 15 normal sessions and 5 boosters in my final week. I had a review yesterday and thought it was just for the rads but it covered just about everything from diagnosis to now. How I've been coping, how was surgery, chemo side effects, anxieties about the future, all sorts of things. I found it really helpful, especially as you're sent for rads you get zapped then sent home again. Looking as some of your questions and concerns here goes. I use roll on deoderant as normal but not sure if I actally need it at the moment, possible side effect of recent chemo? I wear a long sleeved top which I can easily take off. I wear earings but not a necklace as I am being zapped up to neck area. As for aches and pains I'm putting most of them down to TC chemo which the rads people seem to agree with. From what I can tell some pains do come from the zapping. As for moisurising I'm using e45 recommended by medics and will use aloe vera if I start to go red. I have been advised to moisturise twice a day. Use the pen marks as a guide to where you've  been zapped so make sure to moisturise within and just beyond the lines. I was advised to cover up to the neck area, and moisturise up and over my shoulder, so basically covering my upper back area on my zapping side. Use pleny of moisturiser under your boob too, drink plenty of water, rest when you need to, gentle exercise when possible. Basically same as chemo. Hope everyone else is doing ok. This seems a doddle after chemo except for the travelling, 45 mins drive each way. My hubby is doing the driving. His employers are great and letting him work from home when I have day time sessions and arranged some special paid leave aswell. xx

Highlighted

Hello Ladies

I'm sure you're not being paranoid about your pains. I got these for the first couple of days and from time to time during the 3 weeks. Its probably just your body getting used to being zapped. I always told the radiologists about any little symptoms and they were always reassuring.

Also, my friend who is a nurse explained that it is normal to be 'hyper vigilant' about little things and its actually your body's way of protecting itself. I find this helpful to remember when I have my anxious phases.

Keep on with the 'trojan' work ladies, you're doing great!

Libby x

Highlighted

Hi all!

I started radiotherapy yesterday, having had a partial mastectomy and breast reduction in August. I started Letrozol at the start of July in order to be able to delay the surgery until after my son’s wedding so I have now been taking this for almost 4 months. 
I have recently started to get pains in my feet and hand joints in particular which is annoying as so far it’s not been too bad apart from some tiredness and lots of hot flushes. 

I have only had two sessions of rads but my boob is sore! Not the skin but stabbing pains all over....

I wasn’t expecting to notice anything apart from the skin getting sore maybe later on?

so a bit of a downer really. 
anyone else had the same??

anyway, 2 down 13 to go and then hopefully will he able to move on with the rest of my life 😄

take care ladies! Xx

Highlighted

Hi all, 

Had lovely holiday in Crete but back to reality!

Have had 2 sessions now, today one of the machines broke down and some poor people had been waiting 3 hours, I was about 1 1/2, most of my times are after 4pm so traffic busy. I will have to get some more books on my kindle? 

You don’t feel anything when on table but I have been getting twinges tonight prob a bit paranoid!! Also skin look a bit pink put on loads of Aveeno cream, may have to get some aloe Vera gel? I couldn’t do the breath holding so they said don’t worry it just gives the radiographers more work to do to protect your heart so I presume that’s what they are doing for mine???

Had DEXA scan this week but was told it takes 6-8 weeks to send report to GP?

Best wishes

Caz x

Highlighted

Hi Sandpiper

So pleased your radiotherapy has finished I bet it was emotional after your last one its such a routine isn't it.  I finish next week having 5 boosters which takes seconds I am also on Letrozole and have had to ask for a DEXA scan.  Did you have zoledronic acid I have been offered this.  Hope all goes well for you and thanks for your posts which have helped me.  x

Highlighted

today was my second treatment out of 15 I had a funny feeling yesterday I told them before having my session and was told it's where u are tense then when muscles relax it's normal.  

I am still doing the excercise but not everyday so I will do that.  ask them with your next session 

Highlighted

Hi all!

I started radiotherapy yesterday, having had a partial mastectomy and breast reduction in August. I started Letrozol at the start of July in order to be able to delay the surgery until after my son’s wedding so I have now been taking this for almost 4 months. 
I have recently started to get pains in my feet and hand joints in particular which is annoying as do far it’s not been too bad apart from some tiredness and lots of hot flushes. 

I have only had two sessions of rads but my boob is sore! Not the skin but stabbing pains all over....

I wasn’t expecting to notice anything so a bit of a downer really. 
anyone else had the same??

Highlighted

Thought I would update you all...I was an October starter, until I got a call from the radiotherapy department saying I have to have a replanning scan. Turns out as my cancer was left sided and my heart is close by I have to do breathing techniques using a snorkel looking tube. Blooming gruelling but has to be done. I don’t start rads now until 5th Nov. I’m on my 4th lot of antibiotics as well and started my period even though I have had my first zoladex injection. 

Wondering if anyone else has had to use breath holding techniques? I’m open to as much advice as possible x

Highlighted

Hope you ok.

I had my first yesterday  My boob did feel funny afterwards could be paranoid. 

take care everyone xxx

Highlighted

Hi Sandpiper

I'm glad you finished ok too and your skin is doing ok. Mine isn't any worse.

I've been put on anastrazol and also was originally told my treatment would include biophosonates (zoledronic acid) via twice yearly intravenous infusions for 3 years. However, it has been associated with kidney damage in people with pre-existing renal dysfunction and I only have one kidney. I am really scared about the cancer coming back so want to take everything I can so am hoping I can have it. I haven't been offered a DEXA scan but dont know why. My oncologist appointment is in early December and he said we can discuss it all then.

Everyone who has started this week I hope you are all feeling OK. Let us know how you're doing.

xx

Highlighted

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your message.  I have finished - it doesn't seem quite real although I did feel quite emotional when I was changing for the last time back into my own clothes. I went out to lunch after which was nice. I think it will take me quite a while to process it all. I am getting some burning pain on and off today and pretty tired this evening so will try to get an earlier night. Skin is still fine but have been told I probably will get some redness and to keep on with the cream, like you said. They said the effects will peak at two weeks after end of treatment and then improve over the following two. Have a follow up oncology appointment in November.

When will you know about whether you need to go onto  biophosonates? I am already on alendronic acid for some osteoporosis which showed up on the DEXA scan and because I am taking letrozole which would make it worse.

Hope everyone else is managing okay.

Sandpiper

xx

Highlighted

Hi Libby

I start today .thank you.no perfume have put deodorant on but got wipes with me though.

I'm having only on  breast.

Thank you everyone for support xxx 

Susie hop you ok xxxx

Highlighted

Hello Redfox / Susie - I hope it went OK for you both today.

I think changing arrangements are different depending on the hospital. They advised me to wear trousers, just take off my bra, top and shoes, leave them in the cubicle room and put on my cape to walk through to the treatment room. They said I could leave my earrings on but I tended to take my watch off. No orange baskets like Sandpiper!

It is hard but try not too worry too much. You should get used to the routine of it all after a couple of days

I was told not to wear antiperspirant or perfume to prevent any risk of skin irritation. They recommended a crystal deodorant which I bought from the hospital pharmacy. You basically wet the crystal slightly and rub it on. I dont how it works but its great and doesnt leave that deodorant perfume smell on my tops. I think I'll carry on using it.

Thinking of you all.

xxx

Highlighted

Hi Sandpiper

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your last treatment. I hope you feel you've reached an important milestone and have the opportunity to positively mark it in some way.

Keep on lashing on the cream. The upper part of my boob has become quite hot and itchy. Nothing too bad though, its more irritated after having a shower but overall its not getting worse so I'm not too concerned. The radiographer also said I might get little blisters in my cleavage but they weren't anything to worry about. Just wait for them to dry up.

Do you know if you're due to have any more treatment? My next stage is to see whether I can have biophosonates.

Love Liz xx

Highlighted

Hi Redfox - I was told antiperspirant was fine to use beforehand as usual. Wear a top that you can change in and out of easily. I didn't wear any of the jewellery (silver) as I normally do - it saved me having to remove it when my hands were shaking a bit. If you already started today I hope you managed it all okay. 

Susie, you too, and Caz and everyone else beginning this week.  As each session goes by the process will become a little more familiar and less worrying.  I have my last one tomorrow!

Sandpiper

x

Highlighted

silly question what do you wear. can I wear deodorant and take off there.sorry questions are going through my mind now take care everyone xxxx

Highlighted

Hello

Thank you. yep now feeling nervous thinking what top do I wear, etc. Thank you so much for your support. xxxx