Radiotherapy after implant reconstruction?

Hi all.  Last month I found a lump in my right breast, which has turned out to be invasive lobular bc, grade 2, hormone positive.  After having a dye contrast MRI I’ve now been informed that the mass is larger than they initially thought and have to have a mastectomy, I had sort of prepared myself for this, but I also wanted immediate reconstruction, as I don’t think I could cope with being flat one side.  The consultant is recommending delayed recon with an implant, as I’ve got to have RT on my chest wall and RT can cause capsulations around the implant.  I’m not a candidate for diep reconstruction, (which was my preference,) as I haven’t got enough fat on my tummy.  
Although I don’t like going against the consultants advice I’m considering still having immediate recon, if they will do it.

Has anyone had immediate implant reconstruction and then gone onto have RT?  I would love to hear anyones experience.  I’m really not handling things at the moment and don’t want to make the wrong decision.

Alison xx

Dear Alison,

so pleased you’ve joined the forum you’ve come to the right place we’re all here for you.

I can’t remember being in the same position as you a few years ago after having a reconstruction which didn’t turn out very well for me unfortunately my consultant did say to me at the time had I have had radiotherapy first I would have to wait at least six months for another reconstruction so I feel that your consultant is looking after you. 

A big decision and I know that you’ve been through a lot so far, it all seems to come out of the blue.  Take one day at a time I think I would have word with my breast cancer nurse who is there for you and understands what your going through.                                   Take care, biggest hugs for a good outcome    Tili :rainbow: :rainbow:

Hello, I opted to have immediate reconstruction rather than an expander as I am hoping to save my self extra surgery.

My surgeon told me that the reconstructed side would be slightly smaller & that there was a chance the implant may be damaged by the radiotherapy. They used a textured implant which is meant to be helpful in stopping encapsulation.

I finished my 15 sessions 5 weeks ago & don’t see the surgeon until Jan 23 for a review of the reconstruction. It was a gamble & I am conscious I may need surgery next year but have everything crossed I don’t!

Hope this info help. Best wishes x