Radiotherapy and zometa

Hello everyone,

I am starting radiotherapy for breast cancer at the end of December. 
Please could anyone share their advice on how to cope with 15 sessions? 
Have read some really negative discussions on other forums and am feeling very apprehensive. 

I have also heard some awful things about the zometa drug infusions and wondered if there’s anyone out there that has had it if they could give me some helpful advice on how to deal with this?

I am feeling completely overwhelmed by my cancer diagnosis!

Thank you in advance for any and all replies  

Fi x

Hi Fi

First a big hug. Remember playground gossip? The bits we remembered were always the bad bits. I’m not denying that some women have a horrible time with radiotherapy and/or the after effects but you should put this into context. Those of us who reach out on here are often the ones who are experiencing problems. The fortunate ones who sail through have less reason to visit the forums so you miss out on their positive experiences.

I personally found radiotherapy a doddle but I’d had the most awful time with chemo so maybe it was relative. I also had had a full mastectomy so maybe the absence of a breast made a difference. But I can honestly say the worst I had was a small itchy patch on my front chest wall and my back. This went within a week or so of finishing radiotherapy. I have had discomfort in the muscles either side of my scar but that is probably because chemo triggered neuropathic pain.

Your first radiotherapy session will be a team of people, maybe three, getting you into the right position that you can hold comfortably, measuring everything to the millimetre (they used a school ruler at my hospital!) and marking the points for the beams with tiny tattoos (so quick you don’t have time to register an ouch). So make sure you have good shoulder movement after surgery. Make sure you keep your scar flexible, using a non-oily cream. Aqueous BP, Aveeno and E45 are all popular. Use it before and after. Don’t wear antiperspirant, deodorant or talc on that side.

Then you spend more time undressing and dressing again. It’s a quick lie-down, assume the position, be moved tiny distances to get it just right and let the treatment happen. It’s over in seconds, though you may have it from 2 directions, and you don’t feel anything. It may feel a bit burn-y afterwards. Fatigue is definitely a side effect so, if possible, get a lift. Otherwise, that’s it. 

Regarding Zometa, I guess if you haven’t had chemo, it may be a bit alarming but really it’s fine. You will need your bloods done (I ask them for the paperwork so I can get my bloods done a couple of days before, rather than hang around the hospital waiting for the results). Then it’s a case of visiting the treatment ward, sitting in a very comfy chair, having a cannula put into a vein in your hand. After that, there is a quick saline flush which feels a bit strange/cold as it courses through your lower arm - you don’t feel any more than that. The zometa infusion takes about 20 minutes and then there’s another saline flush. I’ve had 4 and I haven’t experienced anything untoward during the treatment (I can get a side effect just walking past a pharmacy!!). The next couple of days , you may feel tired or drained; some people get mild flu-like symptoms; some people notice nothing untoward. I’m usually knackered. I have my 5th in early January and I don’t feel fearful or anything.

One thing that is recommended is that you have a dental check before treatment and get any treatment out of the way if it involves extraction, root canal or crown work. This is because there is a small risk to jawbone health. If you need any of this deep work, inform the hospital and they may delay the zometa. I know dentists are offering only a limited service but, if you explain the treatment you are about to have, they will fit you in. 

The fear is of the unknown. A cancer diagnosis is a huge blow and cancer has a very bad press. Remember that, with treatment, the odds are very good nowadays yet we hold onto the (justified) fear of previous centuries. Success rates are high now. Everything is doable but the fear makes it harder. Just remember every one of us here has been through the treatment, managed it and survived it - and you will too,

I wish you all the best with both treatments. I think after the first bit is over, your fears will ease. Take care xx

Hi 

I too am about to start radiotherapy, having had a single MX then 8 lots of chemo. I’ve only got to have 5 days of radiotherapy.

The zometa infusion is as Jaybro and slightly lopsided said I had my first with my 7th chemo, fluy achey feeling’s last a couple of days.

Thanks to Jaybro and Slightly lopsided for your detailed information , has put my mind at rest xxx