71.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy dots and Ct scan before treatment starts.

7 REPLIES 7
Susied

Re: Radiotherapy dots and Ct scan before treatment starts.

Thank you for this. They said its the norm for males to be there but I've only been dealing with females throughout treatment so was just taken aback. 

adoptedmanc

I would definitely go back and raise your issues with someone you shouldn’t be made to feel uncomfortable. 
Before my radiotherapy my oncologist specifically checked with me that I would be OK with male radiographers (it wasn’t an issue for me). If you aren’t able to find who to speak to you can try contacting the PaLS (patient liaison service) who handle complaints. (I lodged a complaint about the way my initial mammogram follow up appointment was conducted and they were very good and helpful)

Sorry you’ve had such a bad experience

AM xxx

Kitkat23

Sorry you had a bad experience.... I was given the option....I went for marker pen with a clear dressing on it.....I was still able to shower but not have a bath....the dressings were changed after the 10th session then completely removed after the 15th.... it took about a month for the marks to disappear though.

Hope it all heals soon

Susied

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the nurse that did it made me extremely uncomfortable and would barely speak as I made it very clear she was hurting me. A few things happened in the room with her and looking back it was not normal. 

Susied

Thank u.. I wasn't given the option to not have them. It was a traumatic experience to say the least. X

Kitkat23

Hi Susied, definately contact your team....it may or may not be connected....best to let them have a look.

i opted for no tattoo dots when I had my radiotherapy, as it was just a step too far for me ...... so can’t comment on what it’s like after having them.

adoptedmanc

Hello @Susied 

I didn’t get any sort of a reaction like you describe when I had mine. My oncologist did however say the size of them can vary depending on the confidence of the radiographer, the lady who did mine did some of my treatments and we had a bit of a joke and laugh about her “work” 

If they are just bruised I wouldn’t worry too much but if they look like they could be infected I would get them checked out. I would ring the radiotherapy centre, if they are anything like the one I attended the staff will be really helpful and lovely. 
I hope they are OK and your sessions go OK for you. 
AM xx

Susied

Radiotherapy dots and Ct scan before treatment starts.

Hi all, hoping everyone is keeping well.

Is it normal have pain and swelling in the breast after the ct scan and dot markers in prep for radio? I am 4 weeks post op.. (lumpectomy and lymph node removal).

My bruises from the dots are about 2 inches in size. 

Thanks