Radiotherapy fatigue?

Just started radiotherapy this week, only had 2 so far but have been hit with tiredness now. Is it too soon for radiotherapy fatigue or could it be after effects of chemo that finished 6 weeks ago? Any advice please?

Hi Faithy11

Think of every blow, emotional and physical, you’ve had to absorb in (at least) the past 6 months. Whatever the cause, the important thing is to listen to your body and treat yourself with kindness. Some people believe you should fight your way past fatigue with a brisk walk; others don’t agree and say go with the flow. Just do what’s right for you. You may feel this is different from what you experienced during chemotherapy, in which case, attribute it to the radiotherapy till you know different.

The best people to ask about your particular signs of fatigue will be those in the radiotherapy department. We all react differently. I had very little reaction to radiotherapy till about 8 weeks after it finished; my friend went home and slept after every treatment. She carried on working part-time during chemotherapy; I was a zombie and exactly a year later I’m still suffering side effects. I guess my point is that it’s impossible for anyone else to say. There are no clear rules.

Whatever the cause, do what feels best for you, emotionally and physically. You’re early in the treatment and need a store of energy for the daily grind. Good luck with the treatment, You’re nearly there x