cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy planning session

8 REPLIES 8
Nannyof2

Re: Radiotherapy planning session

Thank you Sam - I really appreciate your reply too - glad to hear that you had time to put your lippy on for the rads sessions!

When I went for my first chemo session, there was a very glamorous woman there having her 3rd session - dressed in a skater dress & stilettos! That’s what I call ‘rocking it with style!’ X

yorkshire_defector

Hi Nannyof2

It will be just the breast area that the CT scan focus's on, you'll need to put hands above head (as you do when you're having the rads), be warned they took my photo at mine to ensure it was me turning up to be radiated!  Wouldn't have minded so much but it was 8.45 and I hadn't even showered, never mind put make-up on that day...on the plus side looked like a relative supermodel when turned up for rads sessions.

If its like mine you'll be asked what time is better for you re the rads and get a draft timetable (which may well change).

I'd also suggest confirming at planning session and also after first rads sessions the area actually being radiated, and that needs careful moisturising as I was told very different stories...not sure why but doesn't help protect the skin that needs it.  You could also ask what they recommend re moisturiser though mine were not really that helpful.

Good luck, hope those zaps are kind.

Sam

Nannyof2

I’m really hoping it will be the FAST regime, which is 5 sessions instead of 15. They were due to roll it out anyway, but COVID meant it was brought forward for obvious reasons. Fingers crossed! Xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Yes I think “stunned” is exactly the right word for the whole experience! I hope radiotherapy is kind to you. Make sure you rest and drink plenty of water. I don’t know how yours will be organised, mine was daily for 3 weeks except weekends and it was exhausting going each day. Xx

Nannyof2

Thank you Evie, it’s just the planning session for markers (phew!). I really feel a bit stunned by the whole process (I know I’m not alone, reading peoples posts) & any talk of tests & results makes me head for the hills! 🙈 xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Nannyof2, I’m trying to remember that stage, I think by the time I got to radio I was on automatic! I think you are referring to the planning when they put small markers on your skin so that they can line up the radiotherapy machine? If so then it’s just the breast area they focus on. But I might have misunderstood your message and you are having a different test. My very best wishes to you as you go forward and I’m happy to answer any questions. Evie xx

Nannyof2

Hi, I’m due to have radiotherapy in July & am rather worried about more investigations 😢 Does the planning CT scan just look at the area to be treated, or all over? I’m so ‘test and results’ overloaded that I can’t face anything else for a long, long time! Even the pre-chemo bloods send me into a cold sweat....😫

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Nipper ,it lasts about 30 mins .They do a CT scan to help with positioning you in exactly the right place to cover your breast tissue and nothing else with radiation .They are also checking on the postion of your heart if you have left sided BC in case it may be in the area of treatment ,if so they will

discuss breathing techniques that help keep it away from the area of treatment .They then do lots of measurements and move you around a lot ( I will be honest and say it left me feeling a bit vulnerable ) - they also do some little dot tattoos that help them line up the beams exactly each time you go - if you feel strongly about this you can push for long lasting marker I think, the dots are between your breasts and on the side under your arm- mine look like freckles - well one does - can't find the other one 4 years on !Good luck . Jill x

Nipper11

Radiotherapy planning session

Hi, can anyone tell me what this involves. I had BC 4 years ago but as I had a mastectomy didn’t have radiotherapy so haven’t got a clue. I haven’t got a Breast Care Nurse this time so I can’t ask her. Feel more isolated this time and the surgeon doesn’t know why I have a seroma!!! Think he’s fogging me off. Good job I can ask questions here. 😀.