Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy reduced from 3 weeks to 1

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted

Re: Radiotherapy reduced from 3 weeks to 1

Hi Adelemck

I think it is up to everyone with what they feel happy with, I was at a genesis centre and being very nosy and wanting to know everything, although the radiographers were very helpful and knowledgable and didn't mind answering my questions at all. apparently the machine they have there is one of very few in the world which is SGRT uses sophisticated 3D camera technology to accurately target and kill cancer cells. Unlike some other forms of radiotherapy, SGRT means you don’t need to have any permanent markings (tattoos) made on your body. I found it quite fascinating, also takes your mind off what you are actually having this for and the thought of having to go on the bloody hormone tablets again lol which i was told to stop taking whilst on chemo. oh well if it saves my life and this horrid thing doesn't come back will be all worth it. I wish you every bit of luck and loads of hugs now you have finished God Bless xx

Highlighted

My sentiments exactly!

Highlighted

For me, a clinical trial that show less radiotherapy is as effective as what's currently offered is fab! I feel fortunate to be offered the new 1 week schedule. The scientists are on our side : )  Should my daughter have to face cancer in a few decades time I'd like to think many more trials will have been completed and treatment will be shorter, much more effective and much less harmful.  I've been pretty upbeat throughout my treatment until the oncologist spelled out the possible side effects of radiotherapy and hormone treatment... it's pants.

Highlighted

That bothers me too, but I am keeping calm about it. My radiotherapy starts next week, there was thoughts that I should have chemo but but scoring said that I would benefit with radiotherapy instead. As I said, I am remaining calm about it but I know I would feel better mentally having a full course of either than to be left with, "what if.".

Highlighted

Hi lady Baguette, 

The reduced number is a stronger dose and works out around 60% of full dose, my oncologist told me it's not suitable for everyone but as I'm adjuvent treatment post full Mastectomy it was suitable for my - he said it was new protocol that's just been rolled out early - I did have my full course of Chemo aswell 

Highlighted

Hi there

I can only say what happened to me just finished my 3 weeks of radiotherapy was not told it would be reduced to a week and would have objected if it had been. recently had chemo and they tried to reduce that but told them i wasn't happy and had the full course of treatment. i have heard that it is a new course of treatment and proved that it is just as successful 1 week instead of three, just found this very suspicious it coming now we have covid    

Highlighted

Thanks Diabolic

That's great to hear.

Picked up my Zoladex today. So need to make an appointment for the jab and will then start my Anastrazole three weeks after that.

Back to work tomorrow as totally recovered from radiotherapy now so fingers crossed I am as lucky as you.

Good luck all xx

Highlighted

Hi Coffebean

Yes, I'm going to ask GP to sign me off for 6 weeks post radio (my hospital doesn't do the 'signing off'). My GP doesn't know me as I'm never ill (!!) and haven't been in years but hopefully she'll agree. I think I deserve the time off after all this **bleep**. The job will still be there when I'm ready to go back but I'm dreading working full time again as I'm loving the time to do things I want - I've so many new hobbies ha ha ha. I'm not expecting to be ill though for 6 weeks but I am concerned about the side effects of hormone therapy that has yet to start. Mostly, I'm expecting to be tired - sleep is something I know I used to do....  If you're keen to return to work earlier then go for it. I was advised to ask for as long as possible off and just to go back early if I felt like it. 

Highlighted

Hi does that mean you will be having 6 weeks off work do you think I am due to start my treatment any day now 

thankyou

Highlighted

Thanks. I started on Letrazole 2 months ago and so far had no side effects. Hope it's the same for you x

Highlighted

Hello all

I finished my five days last Tuesday.

Each session only took about 15-20 mins.

Day 1-3 no issue.

Day 4 my boob was very tender underneath overnight (tumour was on top). 

Mentioned this to radiographer and she said was to be expected. Gave me some cooling pads although I have not used them yet.

When I got out the shower on day five, the square patch  from top of my ribs to just under my collar bone across to breast bone was bright red.

That has now eased slightly. Have been using epaderm. Was then advised by a friend to use pure Aloe Vera which has really helped. Itchy nipple driving me mad though!

I am quite tired this week although if I was not already signed off I could have worked through it. I go back to work next week to quite a high stress front line job and am actually quite looking forward to it!

I am not looking forward to starting my drugs which will be monthly Zoladex implants and Anastrazole but done my homework so know what might happen and have a very supportive GP so fingers crossed all will be ok as it can be.

Good luck all xxxx

Highlighted

I spoke to my oncologist on Wed and was told I'd have 1 week of radiotherapy instead of 3. She said I should be back to 'normal' in 6 weeks, if that helps you. I saw details of the clinical trial that confirmed 1 week is as effective as 3 published in the Lancet and it's reported on the news section of the Institute of Cancer Research website. My oncologist said this will be adopted across the UK quicker than usual, the conference where it was to be revealed was cancelled due to covid 19. Thankfully, new treatments and better ways of doing things are discovered through research. Now, if they could just sort out the side effects of hormone therapy before I start that...  🙂

Highlighted

Hi Alison

I don't work anymore so can't help with that, but if it helps, my sessions were quick, no more than 20 to 30 minutes from arrival to leaving. I had no ill effects at all until this past week, 4 weeks after finishing treatment. So now I have a red angry looking rash in the crease of my breast which is Beyond itchy! I moisturised as advised and now I've been told not to moisturise and use a Mepitel dressing. My advice to anyone would be to ask for help at the first sign of a reaction, I was putting up with it until I asked. 

Good luck with your treatment I hope it goes smoothly. X

Highlighted

I am having radiotherapy, I have gone from having 4 weeks to having a higher dose over 5 days. I am due to start in 10 days time I wondered if anyone has any idea how much time I would have to have off work

thankyou 

Highlighted

Aberfraw my favourite too even though I'm in Trearddur Bay. We used to rent the little white cottage at the very end of the river estuary. Heaven. 

Highlighted

Aww love Angelsey ☺️ my grandfather was from Aberfrraw - can't wait to be back when it's safe! I'm in Buckley x thanks for the tip x

Highlighted

Hi Adelemck

Yes I am, I  live on Anglesey and attended Glan Clwyd though I think I've been to every hospital and clinic in the area for various tests and appointments throughout this thing 😁 apart from Caernarfon for the lymph clinic which is going to be via telephone now. 

This might help, so far no I'll effects and I've been slapping on coconut oil. Good luck with your treatment x

Highlighted

Hi diabolic - I'm also on the 1 week radiotherapy now and am also on the coast road! Are you Betsi cadwalleder? 

Highlighted

Yorkshire Defector that's great. I believe with the Fast Forward 1 week course you end up with 60% of the the usual dose but because it's fast and furious the efficacy is comparable. Who knows? 🤷‍♀️ Time will tell. Good luck with your treatment I do hope the ghastly Corona doesn't interrupt it. X

Highlighted

Diabolic

Hi, I had my risks & sign your life away meeting with doc yesterday re rads and was already aware this could be the case.  You get higher doses each day but overall a lower lots of rads on the 1 wk vs 3 wk schedule with similar side effects.

I insisted (and my doc begrudgingly agreed) to have the 3 wks however there is obviously a higher risk of things going awry currently and if that happens a higher risk of the cancer coming back.

So if anyone wants their money's worth - challenge them!

Sam

Highlighted

My planning session is on tomorrow and glad that I had read your message, you have helped to calm my nerves.

Highlighted

Congratulations on ringing the bell!

All the best for the future xx

Highlighted

Hi Stringybean

You're right, this is just the mopping up exercise post surgery as I understand. I've been told the chances of non recurrence without radiotherapy is on average 95% and with it 97.5%. I finished my course yesterday, rang the bell 😁 and have a follow up appointment in 6 weeks. So far no real side effects other than a bit tired, but when am I not? 😁 and a few breast twinges. I have to say that travelling an hour to hospital and an hour back was delightful, to be out legitimately and especially as we live in Wales we travel the coast road. I'm feeling more positive about the shortened treatment having read that the delay in rolling it out to all trusts is most likely because they haven't been able to follow up for more than 3 years yet. Do ask questions, report back and good luck with your treatment. XxX

Highlighted

Hi

I had my surgery in Jan and had my planning session for radiotherapy yesterday.

I had originally been told that It would be 15 days but when I saw my consultant two weeks ago he told me it would be 5.

He stated that it is a new development that has been proven to be effective and is in the process of being rolled out across trusts.

It didn't even cross my mind that it coincided with the COVID crisis!  Was just pleased I didn't have to travel to the hospital every day for three weeks!!

In my mind, the cancer has gone, this is just belt and braces! I feel the drug regime will be more effective at reducing risk of a return!

My consultant is very dead pan and of few words but the radiographers were fab at my planning session, so I intend to ask a few more questions at my ore meeting prior to my first session.

Good luck! Xx

Highlighted

Keep going, and most of all keep us posted on your progress 

will be thinking of you and all the other lovely ladies is the same position

good luck to your dear friend who going back to work and our wonderful NHS staff

hugs xxx

Highlighted

Thankyou for replying Tili. I've just spoken to a retired doctor friend, who incidentally has cancer himself, he thinks it's ok and the nhs is just a bit slow to implement new regimes and rolls them out slowly. He also said the aromatase inhibitor that I take is probably more important. And, bless him, he's waiting for his letter to request him to return to work.

I hope you keep well

XxxX

Highlighted

Hopefully this may make you feel better, after my lumpectomy in November.....radiotherapy was delayed due to my op, I started in February when I had my consultant with the surgeon he was telling me in 5 years time they won’t be doing radiotherapy and more, because things would be moving forward...feeling this is the start

reduction to 5 sessions- was wondering if the dosage is the same ? Hope your treatment goes well.

GOOD LUCK, keep well and safe in this crazy world. Hugs Tili 👍

Highlighted

Radiotherapy reduced from 3 weeks to 1

Hi All, I've just been told that my scheduled radiotherapy post lumpectomy is to be reduced from 15 sessions to 5 as trials have shown that the outcome is as good. Apparently this is being rolled out nationally, it's interesting that my hospital have decided to do this now. They said they were just in the 'habit' of doing 15 but in view of Covid 19 it's best to implement it now to reduce infection risk.

Also a friend who is in the same BC boat has turned down radiotherapy as they can't guarantee there will be staff available for her to complete the course....and if you have some radiotherapy and don't complete the course it means you can't have it again in that place at a later date. Is that so?

Thanks x