338599posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy starters Dec 2019

160 REPLIES 160

Re: Radiotherapy starters Dec 2019

I am trying to take the letrazole straight after dinner and think that I am suffering less side effects!

I often wake in the morning with a disgusting mouth, and I am not having the headaches that I was in the early days. I have been taking it for nearly 3 months 

They are annoying 😁

I'm on Anastrasole as I am post menopausal, I'm hoping they will lessen, if not I will have a chat with my BC nurse

❤x

They can be brutal can’t they-being woken up them really isn’t ok is it. I’m hoping they will begin to lessen in frequency now I’m just over the other side of the peak effect.

Are you taking letrozole because that can treat you to menopause symptoms?

Glitter29, the stabbing pains are driving me mad, they even wake me up a long with what feels like hot flushes but I'm apparently post menopausal so it must be to do with the radiation 😖😖❤❤

Yep still have stabbing pains, well meaning friends who say stay positive, am scared to swim incase it dries my skin and am fed up with the rain! 

But it's still a new decade and a new beginning for all of us! (sorry to be positive) : )

It's not moany .... it's honest! 

I am self employed, and have no enthusiasm to get back to work....  lost my mojo!

All I can do is tidy...... and I am throwing out stuff I don't use, trying to clear some space. 

I am already a good age, and didn't get my state pension so I am already resentful that I am still working.

I have made an agreement with myself ..... on Mondays I will do jobs I don't want to do, then the rest of the week I will do anything I feel like. The problem is that I am not sticking to the agreement! 

I could not be going out to work. I have a very short fuse, am intolerant, and can't concentrate. 

I am officially off for another 3 weeks, and don't know how I can get going again then!

It’s a rubbish time of year to have mojo for anything, a bit of sun even if it is cold is better than grey skies and rain. I could do with cheeky break in the sun but don’t think it would go down well at work!

I agree concentrating is a challenge and I really need that to improve ASAP along with my memory.

On a good note my skin survived rads fabulously which I’m very happy about but I’m not enjoying the stabbing pains

Ps I keep dreaming about having a holiday. Which I can’t do at the moment, but wouldn’t it be lovely. I think everyone should have a day in a posh spa after cancer treatment, just lying around reading magazines and having a pedicure, being brought nice food etc. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

This post-treatment fatigue really is a bore isn’t it. Sometimes I can just sit still for hours, just doing very little. My body just doesn’t want to move. Twinkle, that is amazing that you’ve  worked throughout. I’m not surprised you’re feeling tired though. Can you have a duvet-weekend? Blue, I’m so happy you had the steak. I hope you didn’t mind me supporting your steak-eating. I find it so bloody irritating when people tell me how to best deal with all the side effects etc, even though they are well- meaning ...! 🤪😂 So, sorryAbout that 🙄 

Ps my boob is still like a Belisha beacon and I now have boob-druff 😳😔😱 sorry if that’s tmi 

xxx

It's not moany .... it's honest! 

I am self employed, and have no enthusiasm to get back to work....  lost my mojo!

All I can do is tidy...... and I am throwing out stuff I don't use, trying to clear some space. 

I am already a good age, and didn't get my state pension so I am already resentful that I am still working.

I have made an agreement with myself ..... on Mondays I will do jobs I don't want to do, then the rest of the week I will do anything I feel like. The problem is that I am not sticking to the agreement! 

I could not be going out to work. I have a very short fuse, am intolerant, and can't concentrate. 

I am officially off for another 3 weeks, and don't know how I can get going again then!

Hi Bluegeranium

I'm so impressed you are cooking healthy food, I am rubbish at the moment. I shop with great intentions but can’t get enthusiastic when I open the fridge!

I’ve worked through rads and now 2 weeks beyond and although my manager has been fantastic insisting I leave early when I look tired I feel rotten. I. Not sure if it is effects of rads or letrozole or a combination of both but I’m so tired and low mood and so bored of it all now. I really just want to crack on and get back to a bit of normality. I have a full on job which I love and am passionate about and always had intentions of working until a good age but this cancer malarkey and how I currently feel is making me doubt those plans and it is a real struggle to get up when the alarm goes off. Apologies for the moany post I’m not usually so negative 😥

Don't worry I ate the steak!

I am just cutting down on the Christmas Cheese and Chocolate eating.

I think some of the weight gain is due to lymphoedema and some due to eating very well. I was determined throughout the treatment to cook good food, it seemed a great way of helping myself.

I am trying to keep this up, but really hope some of this weight starts to fall off soon!

I also hate the side effects, especially from the letrozole.  I am now taking them after dinner in the evening, and think it is helping.

Anyone else finding it hard to get interested in going back to work ?

Dear Bluegeranium

i know you are ahead of me and will know better what works for you, but I think if you’re craving steak you should have it. I don’t think you should start dieting yet. I know it’s really hard though isn’t it. I hate all these side effects from the treatment. Xxx

I am partly annoyed I went with the cravings, (due to the weight gain) but also pleased to be feeling on the mend, will I have to get back to exercise and eating dust!

I am also annoyed about the tattoo... 

I am trying really hard to look forward, and start planning again, this decade is hopefully going to be better for all of us!

Dear Mandy, Blue, Twinkle 

I’m glad your skin is healing now. But sorry about the pains. My nipple is still blue too and now combined with green from the aloe Vera gel I seem to be addicted to, and also bright Rudolph red ... it’s not a lovely look!

I’ve been really hungry, craving cheese and nuts. But steak sounds good too, as does Chinese takeaway ... 😋 

twinklestar I hope you feel better soon. 💙

I am now 4 weeks post Radiotherapy, I am not feeling too bad! 

I have had some strange feelings, one of them being craving steak, when I never eat steak. And I have been very tired, but slowly I seem to be getting some energy back, being slightly more productive each day......

I wish I could lose my appetite, twinklestar, I have one and a half stone to lose. : (

😂😂 

There aren't many people who can resist a Chinese takeaway, me included 😘😘

Mandles - rainbow nipple - sounds nice 😂 I escaped that one as I now no longer have a nipple post surgery 😩😂😂

Just ate a Chinese takeaway- seems no loss of appetite can resist Chinese! X

Hi Twinklestar,

I too am 3 weeks post radiotherapy and I have had sore skin, my nipple is 3 different colours 😂

I have pain in my boob, like someone is sticking a knife in, I think it is the tissue healing inside....well I hope so.

I have been very tired this last week, I haven't lost my appetite, unfortunately but I have felt low in mood and I haven't been out this week apart from walking the dog which has to be done.

I hope your mojo returns soon.

sending you hugs 😘😘

Hi LucyChar,

That is good to hear, looking forward is good 😘

I am okay, nearly 3 weeks since I finished. My skin broke down under my boob and I had to wear a dressing for a week but it is lovely pink skin now. My nipple has peeled too, it is now dark and light brown and I still have a bit of blue 😂😂😂

Take care and don't do too much, rest when you can as I have found myself very tired this week.

Every one thinks now the treatment is over I can do as I used to and unfortunately I get tired quickly

❤❤❤

Hope your last session goes well Lucy 🏆🏆🏆

I am 3 weeks post rads tomorrow- my skin is ok, but my chest hurts if I do too much, and I have really lost my appetite/mojo! Anyone else feel on a bit of a downer? 😩😩😘

Highlighted

Dear Mandy

thats so kind of you to remember. I’ve just got today and tomorrow to go. I’m ok, a bit tired but not too bad. The skin on my nipple has peeled like crazy and the boob is bright red but I’m hoping it won’t break down any further. All in all, I feel much better than I thought i would. Now I’m not so anxious, because I’m getting to the end, I’m actually doing a bit of work and starting to look forward to the spring. 

how are you? Has your skin  recovered yet? And how is the tiredness ... I hope you’re starting to pick up?

Lucy xxx

Hi LucyChar,

Just wondered how you are doing, your treatment has finished now, hasn't it.

I hope you are okay

sending you hugs

xx

Glitter29 you are right about 2019, it sounds like our bc was the same, mine was found early.

A good point well made 😘😘

Happy New Year! It is so lovely to read about everyone finishing and ringing the bell, and starting to feel the skin and pains getting better. 

I am 9 down, 11 to go and my boob is pretty hot and red. I had the boosts first which are more localised so I’ve got a round area of darkened skin just above the tumour site which peels every so often. I feel my skin has broken down earlier than I expect so I don’t hold out high hopes for an easy time in the next three weeks. I’m not sure I’ve been helped by all the breaks for the Christmas bank holidays as my skin seems to peel as it heals a little and then of course it gets worse again once the treatment restarts. Also I’m anxious that I shouldn’t be having so many days off; I wonder if it reduces the efficacy of the radiotherapy ... 😔

Anyway I’m moisturising like crazy and going without a bra if possible although like you Glitter, it’s not very nice especially at night. 

Angelaveronika how are you doing? I think we started on the same day?

much love to all. Congratulations on finishing and well done for getting through it and all the hard times. Xxx

Happy new year everyone, I hope you all celebrated in a way that made you happy. Whilst I am hoping 2020 will be kinder in the health department I’m not pleased to see the back of 2919-I’m looking at it that actually it was a year that spotted this nasty disease early thanks to our amazing NHS and it has now been treated and gone, which has to be positive.

It is so good reading everyone’s stories and how you are all doing. I have one more session to go which I am pleased about. I am rather tired and have stingy skin and nasty stabbing pains but my skin is holding up. I’ve been advised to go without my bra whenever I can to avoid rubbing on the sore skin but it’s so painful to be without, especially at night. I feel far more comfortable when that bad boob is tucked up safely and not loose!

xxx

Happy New Year Everybody ! 

Mandles; I am now on day 12 after Radiotherapy finishing and the pains have been reducing for the last 3 or 4 days (I took Paracetamol). My skin is still very sore but not getting worse. 

I am still doing lots of exercises for cording and lymphoedema.........and I am generally delighted to be (more or less) free of the hospital!

Happy New Year to you all

I hope 2020 is kinder to us all than 2019 has been ❤

LucyChar and AngelaVeronica.....you are half way through or nearly finished aren't you? I hope you are both okay 😘

My skin is sore, it's like it's stinging all the time and I am getting stabbing pains in my boob, Im hoping they will lessen, its only 4 days since I finished.

Take care everyone xxx

I’m also finished today 🥳🥳🥳

Rang the bell - was emotional! 
Will keep an eye here to check on everyone and see how the skin holds up x

Hi mandles

Well done for finishing! I finished on 4th dec and like you my skin looked like it was going to break, I was advised to use diprobase or e45 cream, the diprobase worked a treat and my skin is back to normal already.

Take it easy, drink plenty and rest up

Love Helly

well done mandles! Hang in there.

They will look after you if you need a regular dressing changes. 

Hi everyone, the bell was rung and I cried 😭❤

The skin under my boob looks like it is going to break down so I had to see the nurse and I have to wear a dressing for a week or so and she has said that it will probably get worse 😖.

Good luck to everyone who

are still having treatment, I will still be popping on here to see how you ate doing.

Take care and here's to a better 2020

😘😘❤❤

Thanks all, and really pleased you are ringing the bell Mandles! 

I think the stabbing pains are improving, I am grabbing for the paracetamol less often, and my sleep is improving.

But...... I have no intention of returning to work yet. I can't even decide what work I want to do, and suddenly I have a bad attitude to doing things I don't want to do.

I make things that I sell, and have been long term self employed. But I have problems with cording and lymphodema. For 2 days I have been slack with the exercises and my arm and hand is swelling. I am not sure how this is going to improve or continue. I have appointments for both at the end of January, and am trying to be positive and work out what next.  

Currently I am trying to make the house nice and cook good food. I am hoping that I will get my Mojo back slowly over time, but who knows what that time will be ......... and to be honest I don't really care am just glad to have finished the majority of the hospital trips! 

Hi Bluegeranium,

good to hear you feel you are on the mend.

I too am experiencing pain in my boob but i have been told it will continue for a couple of weeks post treatment and then lessen.

I am going to see my manager on the 10th Jan and we may look at me returning to work at the end of Jan although my sick note runs until the 13th Feb, I work for the local council so I will have a phased return to work.

Continue to try and rest, at least for another week and then think about work, I know that is easier said tham done when you work for yourself.

Take care

xxx

Oh Mandy, I will he ringing the bell for you, in spirit, this afternoon. Well done and I’m so pleased today’s the day. Xxx

Hi LucyChar,

Last one at 4.15 today 😁 

My mum and dad are picking me up at 3, my son and his fiancèe are also coming as they want to video me ringing the bell, which I will do for them as they have been through it with me.

with the Aveeno I put a thin coating on 3 x a day more if I'm not having treatment, it seems to be working but the radiologist told me that the radiation is still working for approx 2 weeks after the end of treatment, which means my boob will continue to be warm and can get sore. She also said that the stabbing pains I have been experiencing will get worse in this time but then reduce.

You are nearly half way there, it will go quickly.

Take care xx

Oh thanks so much Bluegeranium. That’s great to hear. I’ll do that too then. Xxx

Well done Lucy char nearly halfway through! 

I also have had very sore nipple, but the internal pains, similar to post surgery pains seem to be reducing.

I have been resting, (honest) but also I am trying reduce the number of afternoon naps I have. One day I will have to go back to pretending I work! 

I put on lots of aveeno, as much as I can, I aim for 3 times a day.......

A week now since I finished radiotherapy I feel like I am mending well, but I am also tired.

Anyone who is still having treatment, look on those Bank Holiday days off as a bonus, a day for the boob to cool off in the last week must be a bonus!

I hope everyone managed to have a nice Christmas 🎄 xxx

Well done Bluegeranium I hope you’ve really had a chance to rest after your radiotherapy.

Mandles, I have a feeling yesterday it today is your last one? Hope it goes ok. 

I've finished the boosts and I’ve had my first whole breast radiation so I’m 6 down and 14 to go. My boob is a bit sore inside and my nipple is super super sensitive. I think it’s because the boosts were targeted at the tumour bed. I was wondering, how much Aveeno have you all been applying ? One ‘pump’ spread lightly and thinly over the whole breast so it seems dry, or a few pumps so it’s quite thick and then soaks in? 

thanks. Xxx

Thanks Mandles. 

I was very sore in the last few days, and was worried that my skin would not hold up. So I went back to not showering (as I did when my wound wouldn't heal) and am now on day 4 post radiotherapy, and I think it is calming down. 

I have kept that area of my body completely dry, and was advised to cream up a whole big square around the boob. I was very itchy in my cleavage one day, but that seems to have passed. Still not sure if its time to celebrate...........my fingers crossed for all of us to have a peaceful restful Xmas.  

Congratulations Bluegeranium 😘

My last 2 this week, and my boob is stinging more than usual so plenty of aveeno being applied.

Have a lovely Christmas xxx

Good luck to all ! 

I am finished (it felt like a marathon) and I am very relieved it's done.

I have been surprised by the pain, so am taking paracetamol and putting on lots of cream.

Am mostly spending my time resting and trying to look forward.

Hoping you all get to this point very soon. 

Good luck for the new week, lovely ladies. It’s going to be a short one thank goodness! Xxx

Easy to give advice, now I am going to make sure I follow it! 

None of our family or friends expect us to do more than we can........  

I agree....very good advice which I am going to take 😁❤

LucyChar, Can't you get people to visit you to lighten the load for you? 😁

My son lives with his fiancee but locally and he has been worried about me but supportive. He even came with me for my biopsy results.

I'm the same when people are nice to me, my tears are always there and anything can set me off, I do think it is because of what I'm going through and also n9t having control of my life but come 2020 I will start to get it back.

Take care everyone, we are in this together 😘😘❤❤

Very wise. Good advice, thank you xxx

Lucy char 

I also feel lucky to have  a very supportive daughter! i know she is also suffering, but I can’t support her until I can manage myself. I think we are often too quick to feel inadequate because the tablecloth is not ironed at Xmas. When our main job is to heal ourselves as best we can. 
I will be having short naps throughout the celebrations days, often just to regain my composure and to continue looking happy! 🙂🙂

Twinkle my radio is to the breast only. I have had lymphodema, been to the clinic and been given a sleeve to wear if I overdo it again( which I will) I also have adapted my excercises for the cording to include some for lymph drainage. I am not going to wear a sleeve everyday, I am going to do the exercises everyday and when it starts to swell. 
I think these were on YouTube and done by the Penny Brohn Centre. 
In the first week of radiotherapy I had a wasp sting.... it swelled a lot  but I kept going with the exercises. My motto is don’t panic, find a way to sort it.

Twinkle, eurgh. That does sound like a lot. Hope you get a moment/cup of tea too xxx