Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy starters Dec 2019

Highlighted

Re: Radiotherapy starters Dec 2019

Very wise. Good advice, thank you xxx

Highlighted

Lucy char 

I also feel lucky to have  a very supportive daughter! i know she is also suffering, but I can’t support her until I can manage myself. I think we are often too quick to feel inadequate because the tablecloth is not ironed at Xmas. When our main job is to heal ourselves as best we can. 
I will be having short naps throughout the celebrations days, often just to regain my composure and to continue looking happy! 🙂🙂

Highlighted

Twinkle my radio is to the breast only. I have had lymphodema, been to the clinic and been given a sleeve to wear if I overdo it again( which I will) I also have adapted my excercises for the cording to include some for lymph drainage. I am not going to wear a sleeve everyday, I am going to do the exercises everyday and when it starts to swell. 
I think these were on YouTube and done by the Penny Brohn Centre. 
In the first week of radiotherapy I had a wasp sting.... it swelled a lot  but I kept going with the exercises. My motto is don’t panic, find a way to sort it.

Highlighted

Twinkle, eurgh. That does sound like a lot. Hope you get a moment/cup of tea too xxx

Highlighted

Lucy - totally get it! I had one child’s Xmas school carol concert last night, and the other one tonight as they do KS1 and 2 separately 😩 Just want to veg but impossible and can’t (don’t want to) leave all Xmas stuff to husband so trying to pick bits and pieces of shopping up as we didn’t book a shopping delivery as too much going on at the time 😩😩😩😩

Highlighted

Dear Twinkle, oh I’m sorry to hear that. I really hope you can keep the swelling down. 😔 xxx

Highlighted

Dear Bluegeranium and Mandy and all

yes I agree, here’s to taking it easy in the new year. Meanwhile, it’s quite hard to take it easy over Christmas though isn’t it. I’ve got my daughter arriving for Christmas tomorrow. She’s so lovely, so keen to support me. But I’m worried I’m going to get exhausted trying to make her feel better about the cancer etc. Although she’d be horrified if she knew I felt like that. I’ve got visits to in-laws, sister-in-law, my parents, my sister to give presents etc. Eurgh. Everyone is lovely but I feel like I need to be calm and quiet in my space, get my head down and get this radiotherapy done. And sometimes when people are lovely, really kind and caring, it makes me feel like crying ... which I’d absolutely and utterly hate, especially in front of my in-laws. 

sorry, a bit of off-loading. Just got back from the hospital and I feel tired xxx

Highlighted

I also had axillary clearance and the radio is definitely aggravating it, although o the lymphedema nurse I see said it shouldn’t technically as the radio is breast only. I keep praying it won’t swell beyond 10% or I’ll have to wear a sleeve - for the long haul 😩 I’ve had more probs from the lymph removal than anything else.

10/15 done now - can’t wait to not have to drive every day 

Highlighted

Good luck for your last treatment tomorrow 😘

Highlighted

My lymph node site took a while to heal, I.was hoping to go back to work after my op and before my radio but because it wouldn't heal I couldn't. We seem to have had a similar problem with healing and the restrictions that imposed on us 😞

You are right about looking after ourselves to aid heal8ng and getting back to some sort of normality. 

Here's to a better 2020

❤❤

Highlighted

I didn't have chemo, but had a second operation to remove lymph nodes, which was quite stressful and led to other complication, but the wound healed quickly. 

I have had to slow down a lot, and am fed up with trying to push myself, just gonna let Xmas pass by before I put much effort into doing anything extra. 

I liked the Penny Brohn Centre a lot, the introductory morning is great for giving you an idea of the place. it is about 60 miles from me, so after months of driving to have dressings changed, appointments and treatments I am keen to be a bit static and remember: I live in a nice place and I like eating healthy.  

I have a "sick note" until mid February. As a self employed person I can start work when ever I want, but I have to earn enough as soon as I go back to pay all bills as well as catch up on the credit card. So I am planning to get well first, then think about work. 

Hope you are all going to take it easy as well.

Highlighted

Hi blue geranium - I have seen Penny Brohn advertised on the back of a door in radiotherapy waiting room! Did you have chemo as well? I was thinking about contacting them re healthy - but easy when you’re busy and have two young kids - diet x The centre is about an hour and a bit away from me - did you feel it worth it? X

Highlighted

mandles51

My surgery site took a very long time to heal which was annoying and meant I couldn't do much. I really enjoy being very busy, as long as I am doing what I want to do.

So I am working as hard as I can, making sure I don't have a problem healing after radiotherapy. I have never taken such good care of myself, I don't even recognise my callous free hands!

I have decided that the next decade is going to be very much better, this decade started being challenging in early 2010. Lets hope the positivity can turn life around for all of us! 

Highlighted

I found some extra exercises, so have added them to the ones from the Physio. The Breast Care Haven and the Penny Brohn Centre both offer lots of help and support, one of them sent me a video and the other had an exercise routine on you tube. Can't remember which way round it was, just google them.

I also went to an introduction day at the Penny Brohn Centre, that was very nice, but quite a long drive for me.

Great that you have slowed down, I doing the same, and trying to assess where I go from here.......................

Highlighted

Bluegeranium,

I must admit that I have struggled to slow down, I too am a 'doer' and I have struggled to let others do things for me. 

I have been off work since the op and my return date is early Feb although I'm hoping to be back before then.

Im.supposed to be walking the dog now but I will walk him after I've taken hubby to work, the dog is asleep still anyway 😂 I'm feeling quite tired this morning 😞

My skincare is.putting Aveeno on when I remember, my skincare regime before this was pretty poorer nothing has changed much

😂😂

xxx

Highlighted

Hi Bluegeranium

that all sounds very sensible and reasonable. And very healthy too. 

well now I’ve started radiotherapy, that seems to take the whole afternoon because the journey is quite time consuming. But in terms of self care and spending the day, I too am trying to eat lots of fruit and vegetables - aiming for seven per day - so I’m having fruit with breakfast, veg soup for lunch and plenty of greens with dinner. A veg box is such a good idea. I’ve just been getting our veg from the greengrocer or supermarket. I have to say, one of the things I’ve done is slowed right down and so even going to the greengrocers is a step in the right direction for me. I’m usually in a blind hurry all the time, and so I’m trying to de-stress. I do the breast exercises twice a day, deep breathing at the same time, and moisturise with Aveeno morning and night. I’ve been doing a bit of work, not by any means as much as I was, but just ticking over with one order. I was wondering about yoga but not sure if I can. Perhaps when rads and recovery are over. 

I also seem to spend an awful lot of time just sitting around, looking at my phone, googling or looking at Facebook etc. Wasting time, but also resting I suppose. I’m trying not to worry about it for now, but I might try to knit instead. I’m finding the brain drain a bit much - I guess it’s the anxiety and stress. I’m a bit worried that I’ll never be sharp and quick with my brain again. 

xxx

Highlighted

Lucy Char- I have spent my time leading up to and during Radiotherapy following advice about skincare and finding ways to avoid too much washing of my already dry skin. I ordered myself a veggie box so my task for each week is to cook all of it, and not feel bad about getting behind with growing them in the garden.

I am having Physio for cording so the exercises are keeping me busy. And when I need a rest I have a pointless game on the iPad that helps me enjoy sitting for a while.

I am self employed and have no motivation to do anything work related. I am assuming that this is because I am processing enough "stuff" already. Normally I would keep going through any minor illness. I am trying not to think of this as a problem, and am hoping that my "mojo" comes back from somewhere when it's ready! 

What about you Lucy Char and others, how do you fill your days?

Highlighted

Hi LucyChar,

my skin is very red and I have a bit of a rash under my boob but the skin seems to be holding up.....Thank God for Aveeno 😂😂

❤❤

Highlighted

Dear Mandy that’s so great to hear. I’m so pleased it’s passed quickly for you. How is your skin holding up? Xx

Highlighted

Hi LucyChar,

I haven't had any nausea so.it may be the Tamoxifen, you will soon find yourself on the last few and will be amazed how quickly it has passed.

I now have 5 to go and it only seems 2 minutes since I was like you.

I hope the nausea passes soon for you

xx

Highlighted

Bluegeranium, that’s so good to hear. What did you do to look after yourself? Resting and eating properly, that sort of thing? X

Highlighted

Thanks LucyChar..... I have 2 to ho now! 
Am feeling tired but reasonably OK. Looking back, the early days were very scary and stressful, but I became vigilant and methodical with my self care, and I think it has paid off. 
Now I am looking forward to Friday when I can finally step off the hospital rollercoaster, and try to get back to “normal”. 
Wishing you all the best in the days to come! 

Highlighted

Dear All

I am now two down, eighteen to go. Getting through them ... I’m a bit nauseous but I’m not sure if that’s the anxiety, the tamoxifen (I’m 5 days in to taking it) or the radio. 

Bluegeranium, I’ve been thinking of you. I hope you’ve been ok today and I think you only have one left now? 🙌

love to all Xxx

Highlighted

Twinklestar, 

I know, it is going quickly especially after it seemed like I was waiting ages for it to start 😁

Unfortunately I'm over 45yrs old so I will look for the oldies group if there is one on facebook 😂😂😂

😘xx

Highlighted

I love the advent calendar analogy-and what better gift than to be clear and treatment finished! I will remember this. Xx

Highlighted

Rosered - so pleased for you getting back to work so quickly 🙂 Well done! 

BlueGeranium - Keep going! I also am not planning on going back to work yet. Much admiration for Rosered - but I keep crying all over the place and I am taking two (maybe even three) more months off - so that will be 6 weeks at least post radio. I was given a booklet today - talked about physical is much quicker than mental healing, and it hit bit of a nerve and I’ve had (another!!) good old cry tonight!

Lucy - first one down - whoop! I’m 42 so not sure boost is an age thing as we are similar in age and I’m not having that. Sounds like it’s the margins?

Mandles - I also finish 27th. Half way there now...!

I don’t know if any of you use Facebook and are under 45?? just to let you know there is a really great, well established fb group called younger breast cancer network (you need to request to join the ‘secret’ group) and if you’re over 45, there may be something else out there. I just mention it as I use Fb more and found it v useful  xx 

x

Highlighted

Well done Bluegeranium,

You are nearly there 😁

you are right, Christmas is a distraction but I'm not sure if I am tired from the radio or from trying to get Christmas sorted, it is my favourite time of year, one of the reasons being that my birthday follows a couple of weeks later 😂😂

Dont be sad after each treatment, it's one more done, think of us on her who are sending you virtual hugs 😘

xx

Highlighted

I am so pleased to read you are all getting along nicely..... each day is the next step to the end. I have had my head down and have managed to get 12 out of 15 sessions done. 

Can't wait until its over, I have hated everyday, going there, having the treatment, and have wanted to cry after every treatment. I have been using Rescue Remedy at that low point and have then managed to get back on track and carry on with the day.

I have no idea how anybody can work through this treatment, I am worn out stressed and tired of it all. 

Wishing everybody success in getting through to their last day, when ever that is, I feel we are lucky having the distraction of Christmas. 

Highlighted

Well done LucyChar,

just think that you are getting the treatment now, whichever order you receive it. The first one is done now so you can start counting down, mine finishes on the 27th Dec and my son's fiancee said it's like an advent calendar which made me smile 😁

keep smiling 😘

xx

Highlighted

Oh well done RoseRed and how nice to hear that. I’m so glad you’re ok and it’s brilliant you were able to go to work. Im sure it’s a very demanding job, but lovely too. 

Well, I had my first treatment today. It was fine, really. I did it, although I was a bit scared when I arrived. I have to have three weeks of whole breast radiation and one week of boost to the tumour bed. I’d been told I’d have the boost in the last week but when I turned up today they said I was having the boost first because that machine was available this week but not at the end. So I was a bit thrown by that and a bit scared. But it was ok and I’ve done it now. 

Is anyone else having the boost? I think it’s because there was no clear margin after my lumpectomy, because the tumour was up against my chest wall. That’s what my breast cancer nurse said, although the oncologist said it was because of my age (I’m 47). 

Hope all has gone well for everyone else having a treatment today. Xxx

Highlighted

Thank you RoseRed,

Glad you have got through it and that the children were pleased to see you

Highlighted

Thinking about you all. Keep smiling. It will be over before you know it. 

I'm a week and a half post radiotherapy. I wore a soft bra for the first time in four weeks on Monday. A big step!

My skin has held up well. It's still very red and burnt, also quite spotty. But it's not too bad. I'm still moisturizing twice daily. I've had very achy legs, but maybe it's a lack of exercise.

I returned to work on Monday- I'm a primary school teacher. It was so good to see my children again and really lifted my spirits. 

All the best for the rest of your sessions. You will get through this. Love to you all.

RoseRedxxx

Highlighted

Thank you so much Glitter. I’m going to do that too then; sounds like a good idea. I’ll be trying as hard as I can to think about my daughter, my cat, my favourite craft, my garden. Xxx

Highlighted

Hi LucyChar

Good luck today I am sure you will be fine. I too have found this the most challenging part of my treatment but once I’m in position I transport myself to my happy place picturing all the things that make me feel content and although it’s still tough it really helps. I’m on 6/15 today and so far it’s not too bad, bit of tenderness and lots of extra warmth which is welcomed when it’s cold! 

Take care x

Highlighted

Thank you so much Mandy xxx

Highlighted

Good luck today, try and relax.

I'm thinking about you 

xxx

Highlighted

Thank you so much Mandy that’s so good to read. So reassuring, just what i needed. I’m so glad your treatment is not too bad for you and that you’re going ok. Xxx

Highlighted

Hi LucyChar, 

I must admit I was more nervous about the radio then my lumpectomy. Although my first radio appt didn't go as planned I have found it okay.....so far.

My boob is a little red which I expect to get worse this week but the skin is in tact at the moment. I apply Aveeno morning and night, my boob does sting a little at times and my lymphnode scar has swollen a bit but the radiologist said that was probably because although it's healed on the outside it is still healing I side and the radio is aggravating it.

Good luck tomorrow, I will be thinking of you ❤

Mandy xx

Highlighted

Good luck For today Mandy and Twinkle. I hope you’re ok with this week. I start tomorrow. Feeling a bit scared and emotional but telling myself it can’t be as bad as the biopsies and surgeries. 

Thanks so much to everyone for your very helpful cream/gel suggestions which I’ve taken on board. Sticking with cream for now but might use the radiance gel after the zapping if it helps, but only if not wearing a bra or anything tight.

with lots of love to everyone going through this Xxx

Highlighted

Hi Twinklestar,

Hope all goes well for all too 😁

I'm on 8/15 today, half way there ❤

Mandy x

Highlighted

Hope everyone is ready for whatever phase they enter this week x

I am having 7/15 today x

Highlighted

Hi Glitter29,

I had a similar response from my husband when I was told I had lymphodema in my boob and it needed massaging 😂

5th session today and it's getting warmer, good job it's cold outside, I have my own central heating system 😂😂

❤❤

Highlighted

Hi Mandy

I’m so relieved to hear you get a warm boob! I’ve only had 2 sessions and both times my boob warmed up a treat quickly after. I thought I was imagining it so asked my husband to feel (I know a v silly move but he obliged without grumbling!!)

Pleased to hear everyone is getting on ok 👍 

Tx

Highlighted

You'll be through the treatment before you know it, Twinklestar. Your feelings are all quite normal. I got better and better at holding my breath and staying still. One day, I had an itchy nose lying on the breast board and that was horrendous!

I'm also much happier this week. I haven't done so much crying. I finished my treatment last Friday. I went out for the first time in ages today for lunch with my sisters. It was just nice to be normal. 

All the best for the rest of your sessions.

RoseRed

Highlighted

Hi all. I’ve done 4 sessions now and so far ok. Really found it hard to stay still on the first session - could feel my anxiety rising to the point I almost called out to stop! But I didn’t and it’s been better each time. 
On Fri I began my monthly injections and Tamoxifen though - and that combined with starting radio sent me on a mental breakdown - was with the Macmillan nurse an hour crying 😞 But ok since then!! X

Highlighted

Hello all

Just popping in from November Radiotherapy starters.

I had 15 sessions plus the 5 boosters and finished a week ago, most of the redness has healed now but I have a bit of a rash under my boob. I have been washing with Simple Shower gel (it has no nasties added). I initially used aveeno which was great but now using diprobase on the rash as per hospital instructions, I also have some foam dressings which I place under my boob to stop my bra rubbing (also provided by hospital).

Re mixing creams: On around day 10, I applied aloe vera gel one morning whilst I was having a cuppa in bed but when I went to get changed the gel had stuck to my pyjama top and I accidentally peeled off some nipple skin! It looked worse than it felt - the radiologists then told me that Aloe Vera gel is best used as a cooling gel (wish I had known this before) - so my advice ladies - only use aloe if you going topless until it has fully dried.

Good luck ladies, keep going you are doing great 

Helly xx

Highlighted

Hi LucyChar, 

I started last Thurs and it is going okay, I can't believe how warm my boob gets after 2 minutes of zapping 😁 At the moment my skin is holding up and the fatigue hasn't kicked in..... yet.

Im pleased your boob is healing, it is so frustrating when it takes so long. My lymphnode scar took ages, the radio hasn't aggravated it, so far, so hopefully you will be okay.

You might ask about creams and gels in the nurse group, one of them might be able to advise you, I have seen something about creams in a group but I can't remember which one, my cancer fog in my brain drives me mad 😂😂

I hope all goes okay for you on Tues.

Sending hugs to all going through radiotherapy this month

Mandy xxx

Highlighted

Lucy Char, 

My breast surgery took ages to heal.

I have been very cautious about creams, (tested the Aveno first on my arm).

I have dry skin, so one way I helped the healing was avoiding getting my boob wet. 

I wash my hair over the bath, then sit in 4 inches of water. Wash my good side with some lovely smelly stuff. Just use a flannel and no soaps or shower gel on the other. I have been doing this since late September and haven't been told I smell by anybody yet! 

I am also doing this during Radiotherapy. I am on Day 8 today and all looking good.

Highlighted

Dear All, I am wondering how everybody is and hoping it is going well for you. 

Mandy, I really hope your return for radio went well and you were ok and have been ok since?

i still haven’t started yet, not until Tuesday. My boob has finally started to heal up though -touch wood - and I’m hoping the radio won’t put it back again. I’ve been applying Aveeno morning and night in the hope it will help the skin. But I’ve also been given some radiance gel which was from a specialist cancer shop online, and is recommended quite a lot on these forums. It’s mostly aloe Vera but also honey I think. It looks just like aloe Vera. I wonder if it’s ok to use both. I have a feeling someone told me not to mix creams and gels. does anyone happen to know. 

Anyway, sending lots of love and good health healing vibes to you all. Xxx

Highlighted

Thanks Lucy Char, I am OK.

Day 4 done, side effects kicking in a bit..... going to bed now.