Starting radiation

Any tips for radiation for breast cancer start on the 20th?

Not had chemo straight to radiation then hormone tablet x

Pommy Drink plenty of water, loose tops and keep slapping the cream on to help Preserve your skin you might find yourself just falling to sleep at random times too. Your team will keep eye on your skin during rads. Creams that have been used an mentioned on the forum have been moo goo, aveno, e45, dr organics aloe Vera and tea tree gel from Holland & Barrett, just go with whatever works for you I’m sure others will pop on too with tips :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :sparkles: :sparkles: Shi xx

Hi pommy, I’m similar op, rads, tablets in dec.  I had 5 day rads finished on 9/9/22. warm dressing gown & thick socks for all sessions - my pre-planning scan was 40 mins, the Aircon was on overdrive to keep equipment cool (I was frozen) they used my dressing gown as a blanket during my rads. I used moo goo oncology pack (inc shower cleanser, deodorant & lip salve - all lovely products for non perfumed) no skin problems yet but do have hardened area & occasional breast pain & was recommended Alhydran cream for scars comes inSPF too, expensive but only need tiny dot (my daughter started using the eczema one where no other creams had worked). Lots & lots of water (I got headaches), lots of sleep, I was floored from day 1 and needed to sleep for couple hrs after each session. Take it gently afterwards & be kind to yourself, spread out activities/outings after to give yourself recovery time, the fatigue suddenly hits me like a brick wall. Remember to eat. I thought I would go back to work after couple of weeks but now realise I need 4-6 wks due to the fatigue & bad brain fog. The emotional side catches up with you once treatments done (finally have time to think & catch yr breath) so I’m accessing the complimentary therapies & counselling my centre offers. Good luck with your treatment 

Hi, 

Just tell people if you’re feeling tired. My husband is great if I say so, but although I could carry on pretty much as usual (I’m an active retiree of 62) I don’t have the stamina I did. So I sometimes end up having a short nap in the evening. I’m trying to build up my fitness but sometimes your mind is ahead of your body. I had 5 RT sessions which finished on 1st Aug, but after spending about 30mins in the pool whilst on holiday at the end of August my boob was so sore. My cream created by a UK radiographer Jasmin Jones soon sorted that though. I’d recommend it. I’ll try swimming again in about a month.  I sometimes get a pain around my lumpectomy site if I do too much, like ironing, but at my last consultation my consultant was happy that it’s just a bit of inflammation, so a great reason to not do the ironing! RT was the last of my treatment (apart from 5 years of Anastrozole) after a lumpectomy then chemotherapy and I felt a bit mentally flat afterwards but I feel OK now.