Did you mean: 

Starting radiotherapy

14 REPLIES 14
Eglis

Re: Starting radiotherapy

Good stuff!

Gertie4

Thank you for all your suggestions, really kind and thoughtful xx I've just come home from today's session and relieved to say it went well, so I'm assuming that everything I did worked so will doo exactly the same from now on keeping fingers firmly crossed ! Feel so much lighter and more hopeful when things go as they should xxx

Eglis

@Gertie4 

Another thought that came to me is when you lie down and get into position, think about your shoulders....... try to drop them down not be holding them tense up towards your ears.  I used to lie down, take a deep breath and on my breath out consciously think about dropping my shoulders down.  Then I would focus on my chin......holding it down towards chest.  These two things might take some of the pressure off you upper torso.  I also always took a small blanket for my feet as they always got cold.  Take any measures to make the experience as comfortable as possible.  Maybe even a flask with a nice warm drink in the car for the ‘after reward’ or just to feel comforting.
All the best.

Eglis

You are certainly not doing anything wrong.

My appointments always overran as they were often difficulties with my alignment.  I soon realised it also depends upon who ‘set me up’.  Once I realised the best thing I could do was not fight it or stress about it but just go with the flow it was much easier for me to manage.

Try to find something to make you giggle beforehand as this will relax you or do relaxation/meditation in the waiting room.

It’s an odd experience that we are just not prepared for.  Don’t even hard on yourself.  I’ll look forward to hearing how it goes.

Gertie4

Thank you for sharing Cumbrian Lady, good to know we're not alone with struggles. Seeing other people go in and out of the treatment room quickly certainly made me feel I was doing something wrong, But I'm determined to keep going xx

Gertie4

Thank you for your reply Eglis really kind and encouraging, I'll keep your tips in mind next week, and let you know how it goes xx

Eglis

Great relaxation technique ideas!

why do we feel ashamed when we can’t do something that we’ve had no experience of and don’t want to be doing........ we human beings are so hard on ourselves!

Eglis

Good luck Wendy ....... I’d suggest practicing the position at home beforehand.  Work on relaxation techniques and don’t worry about it.

The more relaxed you can be, the better - sometimes easier said than done.  Like me, it will all be over before you know it.

Eglis

I really feel for you.

The first week of my radiotherapy was really hard - much harder than I expected.  I questioned how I would get through it.  Had treatment on both breasts and each week I had a problem with my alignment.  Kept thinking what am I doing wrong.

i practiced lying with my arms above my head at home and doing yoga breathing - breath in slowly through the nose and take a longer breath out through the nose.   I’d count 1,2,3,4 and then a slow count of 5 back out.

Remember they have seen it all before, want to help you.  
I also focused on my happy place ........ thought about the sea, feel of the sand and rolling waves........ or the sounds I hear walking in the forest.   Maybe practice this at home too - try to focus on whatever it is that brings you joy.

stay positive ......... positive vibes coming your way for next week.  My second week was much easier ...... hope yours is too!  Let us know how you get on.  

Guest user
Not applicable

I find closing my eyes and trying to think of nice things helps.
I also suffer from mental health problems and as part of the treatment, they taught me how to 'relax' and imagine myself in a peaceful setting (helps to practise at home to get used to it). I picture myself in a woodland setting birds singing, the smell of flowers and cool running water. If feeling upset I think of home and my bed (which is my comfort safety net).
It is all stressful and the older you are the harder it is to keep still my second MRI scan had to be stopped as I pulled my neck and they could not bring the scanner down on me enough. I felt so ashamed and just wanted to curl up and disappear. I am sure they have seen it all before - but it shakes you up.
Hope you find a way to get your treatment finished.

WendyF

It sounds awful. I had my CT planning scan yesterday with treatment due to start a week on Wednesday and I am dreading it!  I found it ok to keep still during the CT scan but no idea what it will be like in real thing. I hope you do manage to relax this weekend and all goes well next week. 

Gertie4

Thank you for your reply. I'm feeling pretty awful, I've attended 4 sessions but only had 2 treatments as they couldn't keep me in the correct position. The block they place under my neck is so painful I can hardly bear it. I do try all the relaxation and distraction techniques I can think of and am not aware that I move at all, but they say because of the pain I'm in I must move a millimetre out of place without intending to or being aware of moving. 

At their advice I took 2 paracetamol beforehand yesterday, that obviously didn't help. So after yesterdays failure they advised me to go home and relax over the weekend, which I'm not managing as I'm so worried they will discharge me as untreatable. They advised to return on Monday having taken 2 paracetamol and 2 Ibuprofen. Does anyone have any advice or had a similar experience? By the way, the planning session wasn't painful, yes my arms felt achy when I moved them after the session but the neck block didn't cause me pain. 

Eglis

Hi.  I‘ve finished my radiotherapy treatment fairly recently.  I also found the position uncomfortable but tried to work on relaxation techniques ...... the more relaxed you are, the less strenuous it is.  I think I adjusted to it and just kept thinking........ it would soon be over.

Good luck and I hope it gets easier.

Guest user
Not applicable

I had my radiation measurement and tattoo session yesterday and 'yes' I found keeping my arm in the same position for so long tiring my arm felt like it was shaking.

Gertie4

Starting radiotherapy

Hi, I've just had my first radiotherapy treatment. Towards the end of the session my hands start to feel really uncomfortable. I realise it's not expected to be a comfortable position with your arms resting over your head, but how has anyone else found this ?