Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing of Chemo and Radio?

7 REPLIES 7
SallyG63

Re: Timing of Chemo and Radio?

Palm Tree,

I had 2 ops, February and April. Chemo started in June. They allowed it it be delayed a couple of weeks so in could go on a pre booked holiday in May. Got back Saturday, first chemo the following Friday. My chemo has been every other week up till now and changing to weekly next week. I've been working all the way through and it's doable (this heat is knackering me though).
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi palm tree

I was lucky in that I was able to take time off, so didn't work throughout my treatment. Apparently I wouldn't have been able to anyway during chemo, because I work with children, and so there is a risk of infection. For me, if I was able to work, I would have taken the first week out, because of fatigue, then I would have been ok weeks 2 and 3. Radiotherapy is not as tough, but can make you feel sleepy afterwards. So, if you need to work, I would suggest asking for appointments at the end of the day and then you can rest in the evening.

Happy to help xx

Gill3105
Community Champion

Hi palm tree. Working through rads is very doable just ask for early or late appointments. Can,t answer on chemo as didn’t need. Have a good day
Palm Tree

Thanks Sue -  that is really helpful as I had no idea Chemo could take that long!  Did you work during Chemo and radio? and if yes how was that?

Thanks

Helen

Palm Tree

Thanks Gill, much appreciated. Hope your journey back to normal is swift post your radiotherapy.  I am hoping to go away on holiday (as booked 6 months ago) 2 days after result - so think / hope that should be possible and start radio when I come back!

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi
Very difficult to plan things at this stage, but here's a rough idea, based on my experience....
Any follow on treatment from surgery should be done within 12 weeks. My chemo started 6 weeks after lumpectomy, which seems to be about average. Each chemo cycle lasts 3 weeks, so if you are having 6, 18 weeks. Cycles may be delayed if your bloods are not OK. I was lucky! in that I only had 4 cycles, and no delays, so managed to get through it in 3 months.
Radiotherapy is usually started pretty quick after. Mine was within a month. Radiotherapy is every day during the week for approximately 3/4 weeks.
Hope this helps. Like I say, difficult to plan really, until you get your oncologist appointment and then you will have a better idea.
Best wishes
Sue xx
Gill3105
Community Champion

Hi palm tree. I to had the oncotype test and the 3 week waiting for the result was not good. I know this is easy for me to say but try to think you may not need chemo if the result is favourable. I planned for chemo which would have started within days of my result. So 3 weeks of hell, stress, anxiety to have the result come back and no chemo needed. I can’t help On your timing as every hospital is different. But within2 weeks I started radiotherapy 20 sessions-and now at 3 weeks post active treatment. Not the best of times I know onthe waiting carousel but try and think to radio and something that may not happen. Oh the words of wonderful Helena and so true but it didn’t think so at the time. Hope your score is low!! Take care.
Palm Tree

Timing of Chemo and Radio?

Hi all 

I am waiting for my results from an Oncotype DX test (post surgery) to see if I need Chemo in addition to radio or not. 

It would be really helpful to know how soon after the Oncologist meeting the Chemo normally starts? and how long for? and then how soon the radiotherapy can start?

I am struggling with not being able to plan things.

Thanks for any shared experiences / guidance

H