cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to appointments

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Travelling to appointments

Thanks everybody. I used a taxi to get me to and from the hospital for my surgery and it was about £20 each way, and being a rural area there are not very many taxi services and they are always heavily booked up, so not really a viable option. I did ask about hospital transport, just as a general question and it seems they only provide it if there are no public transport alternatives and as redcarrie says involves a lot of waiting around. I am lucky enough to have a few people who have offered to give me lifts to the hospital, and if I get stuck I will take them up on it. Hopefully I’ll be able to arrange my sessions so that they are not too early and I’ll be able to use the buses. 

Julie xx

Highlighted

Hi Jewels

There may be support available for you. Have you asked at your hospital? I’m being treated at a big hospital so there are two Macmillan centres there but this link may be useful: 

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/organising/benefits-and-financial-support/help-...

My husband doesn’t drive and stupidly I had a minor car accident which injured my ribs (and wrote off my car) so I can’t drive, much to my frustration. However, I’ve learnt to ask for help at last. I now have a rota of friends and neighbours who are all happy to take me (it’s only a short treatment, not like the hours of chemo) and this includes people I thought I barely knew, like members of my book group. Most people are reluctant to ask but you’d be surprised at how eager some people are to help. My neighbour offered to take me every day, though it’s not worked out completely - but I’ve also found the radiography department is always willing to change an appointment when there’s a transport problem. 

The other thing I’d suggest is seeing how much a taxi would cost as it’s the same for two people and might work out cheaper than two lots of bus fares, as well as being door-to-door. If you’re going every day they may give you a discount - they get 30 guaranteed trips from you! Hope you find a better solution. Buses can be so complicated.

Highlighted

@Jewels994 wrote:

I too am worried about travelling to rad appointments. My situation is different to you though. I don’t drive and neither does my husband. The hospital is about 12 miles away, but there is no direct bus route. The bus stop for the first bus is right outside my house but regular services don’t start until 9:30 am and are then only every 30 minutes but are not very reliable. The cost of the bus tickets is about £9:00 each per day and as my husband will be travelling with me it works out about £18:00 per day. We’ll probably have to buy a monthly ticket which will work out cheaper at about £220 for a 4 week ticket.

I was told if I don't feel well enough to drive I can contact the radiology dept and ask for hospital transport, but the downside is lots of waiting around. But it could be a better alternative for you, as Nicky said. 

Highlighted

Hi just thought I’d pop in with some info. I’m in Liverpool and the hospital arranges transport for patients direct from home, you could maybe speak to McMillan or the hospital to see if it’s an option in your area. I’ve had 12 of 15 and have drove myself with no issues. Feeling a little tired but resting whenever I need to. Good luck all sending hugs xx

Highlighted

I too am worried about travelling to rad appointments. My situation is different to you though. I don’t drive and neither does my husband. The hospital is about 12 miles away, but there is no direct bus route. The bus stop for the first bus is right outside my house but regular services don’t start until 9:30 am and are then only every 30 minutes but are not very reliable. The cost of the bus tickets is about £9:00 each per day and as my husband will be travelling with me it works out about £18:00 per day. We’ll probably have to buy a monthly ticket which will work out cheaper at about £220 for a 4 week ticket.

Highlighted

It's good to know that you've both managed it and I think I'll dig out some old CDs to play on the journey - stuff I haven't listened to in years. I like the idea of going to the shop to buy something - doing gardening has become a bit of therapy for me (and I used to hate gardening), so buying a plant is a good idea.

And the practical tips too, staying hydrated etc and taking a rest etc. Thanks to you both for the reassurance. 

Highlighted

Hi Carrie

I had a 40 mile round trip and driving myself felt like I had some control over the situation especially since after 2 OPs I hadn't been allowed to drive until I had healed a bit .I looked forward to my regular shopping trip to a large Asda on my way back usually buying an item of clothing or something nice to eat or a plant for the garden. Going into work was more of a bind. I did feel very tired on a few days so took extra care driving.

Give yourself plenty of time and you'll soon get used to it.

Sending a hug

cc

Highlighted

Thanks JJ, that has reassured me. 

Highlighted

Hi Carrie

Yes  I did a 56ml round trip for 3 weeks. I honestly did not find it a problem and actually quite enjoyed the sense of normality driving gave me. I set off in good time always getting to hospital early enough for a coffee ( but also allowing myself time if there was a traffic hold up) so no stress involved.

i felt just fine all the way through my rads but I did do the sensible thing of keeping hydrated, moisturising as advised and getting plenty rest.

I treated myself to some good audio books and they made the journeys much easier....perhaps you would like to try this or maybe you prefer to treat yourself to favourite music?

Either way please do not stress over your journey. At worst it will not be as bad as you feared and who knows....perhaps like me you will end up enjoying it as ‘me time’ each day.

wishing you well

JJ

Highlighted

Travelling to appointments

Hi

I start radiotherapy next week and the closest hospital that does radiotherapy is 30 miles away. I'm not concerned about the actual treatment, but three weeks of daily round trips of 60 miles is concerning me. I don't have anyone to take me, so will be driving myself. I could catch a train but that still involves a 10 mile drive to the nearest station, plus parking, train and taxi fares - so not really affordable.

Has anyone had experience of this amount of driving whilst having radiotherapy? Is it manageable and are there any tips or advice you can give me.

Many thanks 

Carrie