radiotherapy - alternatives to a bra..

Hello
I have been trying to work out how I will support my breasts during radiotherapy if a bra isn’t a good thing to wear, I’m a g cup and really don’t want to set them free altogether, would think that would make me sore (and put folk off their dinners).
I would really appreciate any advice
thanks a lot
monica x

Hi Daisyleaf

I am an F cup, and wore vest tops with ‘secret support’ attached underneath. I got mine in a sale at Gap really cheaply, but you can get them in lots of places.They kept me warm too.

Good luck

Kinden
x

Have you got an non wired bras? I picked up some in Debenhams today but not sure if they go to a G cup but to be fair I’m finding in Non wired bras you don’t have to get your size quite so spot on. You could wear vest tops with built in support bit. Tesco do cropped tops, I can get in a small and I’m roughtly a 34-36 B/Cish (not quite sure since mastectomy). Plus they only cost £3 for 2. I sleep in them at the mo. Mind I’m having radiotherapy yet but just some ideas for you.
Em x

During radiotherapy I wore secret support tops at the beginning and then later when I became sore I moved on to M & S vests with no support except for the stretchy cotton they’re made from which gave a bit of support and comfort. At the end when I was very sore I was wearing just a cotton T shirt tucked under my breasts.
Best wishes
Anthi x

thanks for your help, much appreciated
monica x

HI Monica

I’ve had 6 rads now and was never told that I shouldn’t wear a bra, so I have been doing. Having said that, yesterday I felt I was getting sore where the wire goes, and the nipple is ultra sensitive so I switched to one of my sporty ish bras I bought after surgery when my boob was swollen. It’s much more comfy and if not so supportive (I wouldn’t want to run in it, despite it being sold as a sports bra) it is a lot softer. My radiographer just suggested to go without a bra when at home, but I think my clothes would rub on my nipple.

I would think the suggestion of a supportive vest top is a good one, I might use one of those myself, if things get much worse, but I’ve only got 9 more to go so don’t think it will get too bad.

Helen.

I have some support cami’s from M&S which are brilliant. I bought them after my op anbd the’yve come in very handy for my huge swollen breast and nipple during rads. They’re in the pyjama section and cost around £9 /£13 I think. They do a d-g cup support

I know we are not supposed to put up commercial web links but I found a company named ‘Windsor Products’ who supply front opening very soft stretchy bras which I found very comfortable during rads (and for a long time afterwards). Glamourous… they ain’t… but who cares?

Good luck!
AlexG

Sorry if someone else has said this but Crop tops are wonderful. I wear sloggi crop tops they are sooo comfortable. i haven’t started Radiotherapy yet but it sounds like I’ll be wearing them for a while yet.

Susan

yes, i wear the crop tops bras, they are great. i get mine in bhs.

I have big ones too(!) and used a little cotton vest with lycra in it so i gave me some support. I also wore my old maternity bras! Lovely things that allowed me to get my boobs out to moisturise!!

I couldnt let mine run free despite the rads people whining at me!

i wore a bikini top first time round and started out this time without anything (have wee boobies) but now my nipple is getting tender so protecting it in a bikini top again which works fine for me.

Hello 

I had my first of 20 radiotherapy sessions today and all had gone well so far. I was told to wear loose clothing during the sessions and I heard something about a bra? The therapists were lovely but I missed that instruction! Do I wear the sports bras I’ve worn since my wide excision and nipple removal? Softer sleep bra or none at all? I don’t mind not wearing one but I was a 46g and now have one boob half the size of the other so it will be rather noticible …any thoughts, recommendations would be welcomed. 

Take care ladies x

Search Amazon for Jojoanies. Pack of 4 of stretchy soft bralets. Absolutely effect and only 19.99 for  black, grey, white, skin colour. I am a dress size 10 34DD and I opted for medium. Disappointed to find they are labelled inside as 14/16 but they actually fit perfectly.